Author Topic: Question  (Read 1019 times)

Offline TMP47

• Trade Count: (0)
Question
« on: April 29, 2007, 03:31:19 PM »
I am new to CVAs an was wondering what the difference is between the Optima Pro and the Elite. Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 03:36:48 PM »
The Optima/Pro is a muzzleloader only frame, the Optima Elite frame is much stronger, intended for use with centerfire rifle barrels in addition to muzzlelaoder/shotgun barrels, is offered in 300 Win Mag(when they get em to market!!) and several other calibers, 222, .223, 243, 270, 7mm-08, 308, 30-06 and 45-70. OE barrels won't fit on an Optima frame and vice versa. The design is similar tho, but not in material and strength.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline TMP47

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 07:40:25 AM »
Thanks Tim

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 06:16:03 PM »
I am new to CVAs an was wondering what the difference is between the Optima Pro and the Elite. Thanks

The Optima Pro barrels doesn't attach like the Elite does either..It has a hinge pin & curved lug like the NEF's do where it is open at the front...The Elites are like the Encores the way the barrel lug goes completely around the hinge pin..They did this so someone couldn't attach a center fire barrel to a muzzle loader frame.

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline boba250

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 05:43:23 AM »
Do they shoot as good as they say they do...I don't have one yet but I'm going to get an Optima Elite real soon...
thank Bob

Offline tbtallen

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 07:27:28 AM »
Bought an OE .50/.270 after hearing about them from sales rep at Bass Pro and finding this sight and reading every thread on them. My first shot out of the gun was 10/14/08 at a 4 pt. Florida Big Cypress Deer and it was dead on.

Today I swapped out the barrel to the .270 and couldn't get the hammer to lock back. One phone call to CVA customer service and a 2 minute conversation with Eric, who not only knew exactly what the issue was and how to correct it and I'm back in business ready for general gun season to start.

So if your considering the OE don't hesitate, great gun, great customer service. Also, thanks to everyone on this sight your post have been on the money right down to what the best load should be.

Thanks and Good Luck,

Todd

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 07:41:32 AM »
in case someone has that problem, what did eric have you do to fix the hammer?

Offline tbtallen

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 08:27:02 AM »
He had me slam the barrel shut, then while pushing the breaking lever forward pull the hammer back. This allowed the hammer to lock. He then had me carefully pull the trigger and slowly release the hammer. He explained that it may take repeating this process four to five times for this to work. It actually took eight but now it works perfectly. He stated there was some issue with "spring tension"? that this would resolve and I believe he stated it was unique to the .270

Sorry for not adding that to the previous post.

Todd