Author Topic: Want a shotgun.  (Read 615 times)

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
Want a shotgun.
« on: October 22, 2008, 03:15:37 AM »
Hey fellers, I want a simple handie to carry but I am NOT the most informed shotgunner, I really don't want the musle of a 12 so I am looking at a 20 or 16, I really don't consider the price of shells because I don't shoot scatter guns that much.

I will be looking at shooting wabbits, smaller game birds, and grouse, with the slight chance at a turkey. ( I don't hunt turkeys but if the chance came along ya know.)

Most of the shots will be close, I live in south eastern Kentucky, long shots just don't usually happen.

So the questions are, What barrell length, choke, should I get removeable chokes, 16 or 20?

Opinion welcome Thanks
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline mjh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Want a shotgun.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 04:51:14 AM »
Get yourself a 20ga Topper or 20ga Pardner.  The Topper comes with a fixed modified choke the Pardner can be had with a fixed modified choke or with exchangable chokes. I think the one with exchangable chokes has a synthetic stock. I think both have a 26inch barrel.  Check the H&R website.  The Topper will be $20 or so more than that Pardner at least in my area.

I bought the Topper I didn't want the versitlity and the hassle of changing the choke I figured for most of my uses a modified choke would do just fine.  I also liked the looks of black wood with the case hardend reciever.

Simple, light, easy to use, shoots all verieties of shot, can't go wrong!

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 08:35:44 AM »
I put a 22 inch Pardner .410, 3 inch, full choke barrel on my old Topper 12 ga. frame and stock.  I just love it.  Light, fast swinging truck/woods gun.  Great on birds, bunnies and squirrels.  It shoots a slug really fine as well.
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »
I highly recommend the Pardner 20 Gauge with screw in choke. Mine came with synthetic stocks. I switched to PW stocks that MSPRet cut into a straight grip for me.

It is a nice lightweight 20 that I use for everything - turkey, partridge, ducks and bad weather deer hunting with slugs. I use the factory MOD choke for everything and it works well. I haven't seen the need to change it yet so you could probably do fine with a fixed MOD choke also.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 08:13:49 PM »
20 ga will work for you fine.  There are more loadings in 20 than 16 and more available at most stores.  I would just use 3" heavy shot loads for the turkey.  You can use smaller shot and pack more into the shell with the same knock down as larger lead shot.  just my 2 cents.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 11:45:18 PM »
The Pardner Synthetic 20ga would be my choice.  If you get the youth model, it has a 22" barrel and screw chokes.  You could change out the stocks for adult length.  I have both a 12 and 20 in 22" barrels.  They are great walkin' around guns and very Handi in thick cover.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 01:38:52 AM »
I agree with the above members. Get a 22" 20 gauge with screw in chokes and it will serve you well for all the needs you have stated. I do suggest geting a set of wooden stocks though. There was a great set of camo laminated straight stocks that just sold in the classifieds. They would have been wonderful on a 20 gauge (or any gauge for that matter)....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 01:55:14 AM »
I would opt for a 26-28" barrel if your doing any wing shooting at all.... The longer barrels tend to be better for shooting birds... For rabbits I agree with the 22"

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 02:37:15 AM »
The chance of really wing shooting is slim, We try to catch the grouse on the ground around here, I may try some doves but I kinda doubt that. I think I give a look at the youth 20, I need a set of youth stocks for another handie anyway. Thanks for the input guys.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired