Author Topic: Anyone have any experience with Leupold Ultimate Slam Scope?  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Revolver Nuts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 460 XVR
Anyone have any experience with Leupold Ultimate Slam Scope?
« on: December 24, 2008, 04:04:22 AM »
I just purchased a new Thompson Center Triumph in black with the weather shield barrel.
Now I am thinking of purchasing a Leupold Ultimate Slam in 2-7 power for it.
Does anyone have any experience with the Ultimate Slams on their muzzle loaders and how they perform at different yardages?
Thanks,
Revolver Nuts
NRA Endowment Lifer
Revolver Nuts
NRA Patron Lifer

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Anyone have any experience with Leupold Ultimate Slam Scope?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 04:51:07 AM »
Big Brown just dropped off my 3-9x40 Leupold Ultimate Slam SABR yesterday. No experience yet, need shorter rings and bases than what I have on hand. The average prices on the 2-7x33's I have seen range from $199 to $249, some even higher. The prices I have seen on the 3-9x40's have ranged from $229 to $279. I have heard good reports, but have no first hand experience yet. I will be watching this thread too.

I posted a similar thread down in the optics forum about 10 days ago, I don't think there are very many out there in the field yet.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,158979.msg1098700959.html#msg1098700959
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline 5alarm435

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 05:17:57 PM »
I have the 3-9x40mm on my H&R ULSH.  It is everything Leupold would want you to think it is.  At the appropriate setting, the SABR system worked flawlessly at the range at 50, 100, and 150 yards.  And it did not let me down in the field either.  This is my first year hunting and I shot my buck at about 110 yards out by framing the vitals area between the 100 and 150 yard aiming points.  He only made it six feet before he died.

In comparison, I have a Nikon Omega on my Triumph.  I prefer slightly the Ultimate Slam over the Omega because the SABR reticle has an aiming point for 50 yards when zeroed in at 100 yards, which the Omega does not have.

Offline mspaci

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 04:47:19 AM »
I would not want seperate aiming points for 50-100.  I shoot 20ga lightfields out of a USL & sighted in 2inches high @ 50 I take out the center at 100 yards. I have shot out to 150 on deer & just aim a few inches higher with no problem. I like to keep it simple. I am using a swift premier 2x7x40 scope. Its about $150 & the quality is right up there with the leopold. Its made it 5 seasons so far with no problem. I have several friends who`s shot guns ruined leopolds in 2-3 seasons. JMO,  Mike

Offline hogrdr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 05:03:18 PM »
Been thinking of advantage to the BDC just couldn't bring myself to buy Nikon. I will however spend it on Leupold glad to see they are in the game. One thing we can count on is Busta will put it through the ringer. Busta if you do a report else where drop by here and give us a link?

mspaci
Several ruined Leupolds? Hmmmmmm 30+ years with Leupold scopes 1 failure but nothing would hold up to my 1200 lb horse rolling on it. Bent tube behind rear ring sent into Leupold with letter telling them what happened and to repair and I would pay for repairs or replacement. 3 weeks later new VXII 3X9X40 came with letter thanking me for using there product no charge. I still have my first Gold Ring 3X9X40 33 years old clearer than most new scopes. I've had them on some mule kicking SOB's 300 win mag, 300 H&H mag, 308 Norma mag with no failures! Hmmmmmmm

Hog

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 05:49:43 PM »
For the most part and with DARN FEW EXCEPTIONS guns DO NOT ruin scopes the person who mounted it incorrectly did.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline hogrdr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 03:49:41 AM »
For the most part and with DARN FEW EXCEPTIONS guns DO NOT ruin scopes the person who mounted it incorrectly did.

GB I guess I should have said that instead of beating around the bush trying to avoid an argument. But you are right and that's what I was getting at! Hmmmmmmmmm ;)
Hog