Author Topic: POACHING  (Read 2024 times)

Offline okieshooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • shoot for the moon, land in the stars
POACHING
« on: August 18, 2008, 08:02:29 AM »
I have promised my 12 year old if he kills 8-point or bigger we will have it mounted. In the last 2 years he has let several smaller bucks walk waiting on one for the wall. ;D I know a guy that killed 16 bucks in JULY probably 10 of which I would have mounted. It just makes me sick because this is basically taking from my sons chances by poaching. I believe it is fine to kill one if you need it pretty much whenever (I have not poached in several years) but you can not eat 16 in a month!!!!!!!!!   Anyone else have this problem?? Goes against the grain to turn anyone in but I am about ready to!! My 12 year old has more respect and appreciation than these grown men.
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline Hofs01

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • A Real Regular
Re: POACHING
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 08:07:08 AM »
TURN HIM IN!

I hope your son does not know about it.
If he does, and you do not turn in the guy then it is sending your son the wrong message.

My .02 cents

Brian
IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
how come God made 'em outta meat?

Offline alsaqr

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 02:14:44 PM »
Turn the guy in-now!!!

Offline Cecil

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 06:38:55 AM »
Turn him in He's not a hunter or sportsman just Likes pulling the trigger
Cecil

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 09:48:03 AM »
I do agree with the "turn him in" sentiments BUT do it anonmyously. This person has already proven he is a law breaker and willing to kill things illegally. Don't assume he will confine that illegal killing to deer only. Such folks at times prove to be capable of killing humans as well. You really don't want to be out in the woods later with him running around armed if he knows for sure who turned him in.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Cecil

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 03:37:57 AM »
+ 1 what Graybeard said.
Cecil

Offline blacknwhite

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 02:26:48 PM »
TURN HIM IN!

Why would he be shooting bucks in July? They don't even have fully developed antlers. He must not be doing it for the trophies. Has he given you any explanation?

Offline nodlenor

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 02:40:06 AM »
TURN HIM IN!!!!

If you don't then you are no better than he is. He is the one who broke the law and you aren't doing right by letting him get away with it. It is no different than stealing, in fact he is stealing from your son.
Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 03:01:00 AM »
Be careful who you talk with also . In Va. a group was killing deer and a truck would come pick them up each week . I know one pick up site was near where i hunted but there were others . alot of people were involved . So GB has a great point
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline SingleShotShorty

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 11:57:39 AM »
Turn Him In
Old Age and Treachery Will Alway's Overcome
Youth and Skill.

Offline okieshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 05:10:16 AM »
Blacknwhite   poachers kill bucks in July because they are fatter now than they will be this fall when the rut is on and they see it as more ethical than killing does with babies. They can not keep the horns but they still brag about what they have killed. Not taking up for them at all but I used to poach 5-6 a year when I was younger and know why they kill bucks now ( it is easier now than it is in the fall. soft horns puts them in clearcuts and open fields) nothing wrong hunting for food but chaps me to see um kill one every other day on average. game warden got him last year but I think may be afraid of his family. kinda like deliverance over there. ;D ;D
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline blacknwhite

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 02:03:48 PM »
That's too bad. I hope the game wardens get him again this year. I hear of poachers around my area as well and it seems that the game wardens often wont do anything at all. They would rather hassle a guy that left his orange cap in the truck during rifle season and let the poachers go about their business.

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 09:54:02 PM »
It is a difficult thing to patrol.  About all they can do is set up the dummy deer and wait.  These guys have a huge area to cover so catching someone in the act would be hard.  They can also check freezers if they have a reason too.  If they shot 16 they may not even be cleaning them. 

The one experience I have had with poachers, the guy got off in court claiming he need it for the meat.  He was living on wellfare and probably did need the meat but he could have easily shot the deer following the rules too ( it was deer season)  I was hunting a couple of hundred yards form the road and this little deer was between me and him on a wheat field.  13 shots later he had himself a deer, meanwhile I had gotten behind a tree, a small tree at that and fired off my muzzle loader in hopes he would realize I was back there.( it was rifle season by the way but only had a bow and a muzzle loader at the time, I was 16 or 17 at the time).  I turned him in because he was shooting  in my direction and from where he was shooting he could see my truck so knew someone was in there and his son was shooting from the rear of the truck as well( I did not want him growing up thinking that was ok).  One shot took out a lower back leg and another the hind quarters at least one gut shot and finally one to the front shoulder that got a lung.  There was not much meat left on the little guy.  I confronted the guy about it and he ask what I was shooting at, he did not even care that he was shooting in my direction so I pointed out to him it was a warning shot of sorts to let you know I was back there.  I actually quit hunting during rifle season for a few years after that until I had some other places to hunt where road hunting was not so common and my fears went down.

Now that I am older, I would have handled things a little differently.  I realize now that I was stupid for confronting the guy and would have been better off turning him in anonymously.  But what I wish I had done was shot the deer for them, it would have saved at least 9 or 10 bullets headed my way and I could have told the boy that is the proper and ethical way to take a deer.

This has turned into a long winded post but to finish up the story, the landowner(my uncle) leased the place to some out of state guys and they convinced the game warden to put up the dummy deer out there and they busted the same guy and some other members of his family ( don't remember the exact relation) but they all where well know road hunters.  All but one got off free claiming they needed the meat ( he was the only one with a job and not on wellfare).

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 05:57:27 AM »
do the right thing, but do not talk about it.

It's hard enough find a good place to hunt, with out paying through the nose or owning your own place.

It's even harder when you are trying to show your kids the proper way to follow the rules & be successful on a hunt . To come home empty handed is a good thing it makes them realize the challenges of life & everthing is not always a given. We have been fortunate enough to have gotten deer in the past couple of years but it was a long dry spell before that & it may be again it is no given in my case.

This is not an ethical man to do this IMHO what else is he capable of  BE CAREFUL with your decision
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 06:46:32 AM »
I would wait until he has evidence at his residence and anonymously turn him in.  Then hopefully if convicted, he will most likely lose his house, equipment and fishing and hunting privileges.  If you turn him in with no evidence then there isn’t anything the game wardens can do and will just waste their time.

yooper77

Offline blacknwhite

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 11:00:34 AM »
I agree mattmillerx, the game wardens do have a lot of ground to cover and I have a lot of respect for them. It just gets frustrating when everyone in an entire community knows who the poachers are but they still dont get caught. I wish every land owner would plant cedar trees down their fence lines to limit visibility into fields. Thats what we have been trying to do on our properties.

Offline Cecil

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 04:01:49 AM »
Okieshooter turn him in at operation game thief number 800-522-8039 you don't have to give your name and this will go to head quarters. if the 2 game wardens in Push county are afraid of the family maybe the dept will send some help!
Cecil

Offline haus

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 12:55:48 PM »
Oklahoma has operation game thief.  You get a cash reward.  You could always use the money to pay for your sons new rifle or a guided hunt somewhere nice. 

Offline nealglen37

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 07:21:41 PM »
How do you know this man well enough for him to tell you he shot that many deer..............then show you the antlers..................I think you said you would have ten of them mounted??????????????????????????????????????

Offline okieshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 05:20:40 PM »
A few years back I hog hunted with him a lot and have poached a few times in the past but he did not tell me his 19 year old son told me. Have not seen the horns but have been told about some of the big ones. Usually still in velvet in July so he does not keep them I wouldn't think.
Thanks,
Okieshooter