Author Topic: What's with gun prices and farm/estate auctions?  (Read 675 times)

Offline guzzijohn

• Trade Count: (0)
What's with gun prices and farm/estate auctions?
« on: October 27, 2008, 07:07:27 AM »
I was not sure where to post this but since this is the most active site I will post here. I only go occasionally to farm/estate auctions and it appears that any firearm almost always sells for well above value. What have been your experiences? Case in point was this last Saturday at a farm auction. The only firearm was a basic Stevens Favorite takedown in .22LR. This gun functioned but was very dirty and rusted.  The outside of the barrel (round) looked like it had been reblued and had a lot of rust on it. The inside of the barrel was way to dirty (complete with cobwebs) to determine condition. The outside of the receiver was 100% rust covered and pitted. The stock was very rough but not cracked. Part of the butt plate was broken off. It went for $240! Doing some internet checking this model in 80-90% condition is worth about that amount. Have I just had bad luck?
GuzziJohn

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: What's with gun prices and farm/estate auctions?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 07:15:51 AM »
I've found that too, in most auctions.  It's just the auction mentality.  I've overpayed on alot of things over the years.  Guns I can usually control myself and not get caught up in the bidding.

All that said, I've seen some real deals at auctions also.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 07:17:59 AM »
I've seen the same at the few auctions that I have been to.  A while back I saw a fellow pay more for a partial brick of .22 longs than for a new full brick of L.R.'s.  On the other hand, I now have an M-1 Carbine that a friend picked up at an auction at a reasonable price.  Garage sales can be more reasonable, but I have seen some way overvalued guns and other stuff at them.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 07:32:34 AM »
Went to one estate sale, where the majority of the items were guns. The second gun up for auction was a plain jane,box stock Ruger 10/22. Big box stores at the time would have fall sales for $99, and most gun shops were around $125. When the price at the auction hit $200, I looked at my friend who had drove down with me, and we both stood up and left. Talked with my then, next door neighbor, who farmed up to 1000 acre's some years, and he told me farm equipment at some of the auctions ended up the same way. Buyers getting into state of mind that they won't be outbid, and don't let common sense into the equation.  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 07:39:27 AM »
Might be some folks bidding that can't buy guns in the store.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 08:30:07 AM »
I wonder if there is an element that goes to farm sales who like guns to hang on the wall, but really don't know anything about them. The old farmer who doesn't get out anymore except to go to farm sales.

I've made a couple of very good buys at garage sales lately.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 09:15:48 AM »
Might be some folks bidding that can't buy guns in the store.

Don't know about anywhere else but around here all sales are run through one of the local FFL holders complete with background check.  The auctioneers and the sellers protect themselves this way to avoid just what you're suggesting.

Offline Illhunter

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 09:27:46 AM »
I have been to alot of sales both estate and farm auctions and to me i have never seena deal at any of them and never see any deals at yard sales either but i am sure that they are out there just not at the sales i have been to. I know in my area there is a big auction with alot of guns tomorrow but they will probably go high except that it is end of month so people that generally go to auction are probably broke.

Offline guzzijohn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 09:54:42 AM »
In my area they do not go through a FFL. I kind of doubt that a Stevens single shot is highly desired by someone that could not legally buy a firearm. I thought that since the auction only had this one gun that it might have gone reasonable, but I was wrong. I have gone to consignment auctions before that had quite a few firearms and auctions of estates that had a number of firearms and prices were really crazy at those.
GuzziJohn