Author Topic: Ever bought an over priced scope?  (Read 460 times)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Ever bought an over priced scope?
« on: October 23, 2008, 03:09:26 PM »
Just wondering what you're seeing for your dollars.  I have stayed away from the cheap stuff and never been disappointed.  Have you bought something at a bargain price that turned out to be a disappointment.  It happened to my once with a 1" Bushnell 22 rimfire scope.  Intended to use it for squirrel hunting but I couldn't see a darn thing in low light.  All my deeer scopes are "up the ladder" quite a bit.

Offline Ahab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Ever bought an over priced scope?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 11:29:40 AM »
Yes, and it was "up the ladder", a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40. >:(
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 04:14:42 PM »
What do you mean by over priced?... In my opinion the over priced scope's that I have owned over the year's ..Were the one's that I either gave away or got rid of for one reason or another because they just didnt hold up.. Or were so poor you couldnt use them. I was having some trouble a few years back with a couple rifle's not grouping well. I went to a good local shop..I was told that my firearms were of good quality...But that my scope's were not. I thought that they were since the money I payed for them wasnt cheap to me... However after I bought my first Leupold it all got better... I have recently bought 2 new Nikons..Omega to try out on a couple slug guns.. But the verdict is still out on those two. The Leupold's just keep growing in number...I keep remembering a statement that I have heard over and over... " There are no bargains in optic's" You get what you pay for. Drop

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 03:01:18 PM »
I guess I meant have you ever paid more for a good scope and not received the quality you expected?  Do you think that the better scopes carry a heaftier price tag?  I believe you generally get what you pay for in optics.  Never owned the very best, but I've never been pleased with the cheaper end of the spectrum either.