Author Topic: anybody got a 35/30-30?  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
anybody got a 35/30-30?
« on: July 18, 2006, 03:24:00 PM »
I've been thinking about building one on a Pedersoli rolling block. Actually, it's a 30-30 now with a terrible nasty bore from the factory. I am going to have Jim Dubell bore it to 35 cal, then cut the neck and throat for 35 cal. One of the original wildcats! It looks like it'll be nice for midrange shooting and maybe chasing Bambi. Should work well with either black powder or that new fangled heathan stuff. Anybody got any stories to tell about theirs?
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: anybody got a 35/30-30?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 06:18:01 AM »
A 35/30-30 is on the cover of the NRA bullet casting book. It was built for cast bullet matches on a Remington 788 action. Seens to me it would be a nice woods rifle for bambi.
Dave375HH

Offline iiranger

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 07:48:47 AM »
The original .30/30 case was a Ballard rifle case for target rifles. I believe the more common caliber was .32/40. As I recall (from the books) there was a .28/30. (In the Winchester line, the "30" referred to the amount of smokeless powder used.) The next step up in common use and remembered today is the .38/55. (Hot rodded as the .375 Winchester.) I believe that in the Ballard, Marlin, and others line there was a .35 on the case. Very little new under the sun. And the ".35 Winchester" by name was the .405 Case necked down. Went no where fast. Long gone. So you just need to dig. Should find some info from the days of black powder and if you care to today, smokeless should put you in the neighborhood of the .35 Remington with its long, honored rep. LUCK

Offline crash87

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 03:09:58 AM »
No stories to tell, but I thought about chambering this cartridge in an older Mossberg lever I picked up for a good price (free). In Cartridges of the World, 8th edition,they touch on it lightly, basically stating it duplicates the .35 Remington. But where it shines is in cast bullets, where the longer neck is quite benificial. They also state in a strong action it can be made to get quite near the .375 Win.  Although I wouldnt go that far, but with the longer neck, blackpowder, cast bullets, and a pedersoli, it takes no backseat to the .35 Rem. I do know that the Ballard Rifle Company lists this chambering for their BPCR's, so it is alive and burning powder somewhere. As far as my "future" project goes, the only thing I was going to do different was to go with Ackley Improved. Reading your post has got the thing off the back burner once again. Thanks alot! Keep us posted on your progress. CRASH87

Offline Lugnutz

• Specialty Pistols
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 09:22:36 AM »
I was actually going to go with a 30/30 ai case necked up to 35 for an encore project.  Still might do it next time around.  The dummy rounds I made up look pretty nice with 180 gr  XTP handgun bullets in it  and the 200 gr spirepoint don't look bad either.  Maybe if overtime is good next summer I'll get that barrel done.
Mike Bellm   is ok with me

http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 09:47:02 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 01:55:29 AM »
It lives! I finally got around to working on it last night, after having the barrel back for a couple months. Clearwater did a great job reboring it, looks like a Kreiger inside. I just used a Clymer necker to cut the neck to 2.00 inches long, and throated it to have .020 jump with the RCBS 200 grain bullet seated to the crimp groove. I may have made the chamber a little short, when I opened up the cases with an expander ball they measured about 1.970, but when I fireformed some they were 2.005 so I'll have to trim them slightly. At least this way they'll clean up and not have a big gap to the end of the chamber. I fireformed them with 7.0gr. Green Dot and cream 'o' wheat and they popped open really nice and straight. Gotta get some sights on it today, and hopefully shoot it some this weekend. It is a neat looking case, barely any shoulder there at all so it should work great with either black powder or that newer nitro based stuff.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Duckhunter39480

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 05:28:09 PM »
I just purchased a 35/30-30 Imp Contender barrel from MGM.  I'm still fireforming cases but so far I really like the cartridge.  I got the dies from Ch4D.
You should have said something; I didn't know I had struck a nerve.