Author Topic: Let's talk AR15 magazines  (Read 4043 times)

Offline FourBee

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Let's talk AR15 magazines
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2008, 03:09:52 PM »
Looks like I've been paying a little on the stiff end, but, I sure like those 20-round PMags, and they're pretty much the same price at the sites I've found.   Cheapest found is $13.25ea.
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2008, 04:31:42 AM »
Don't know about the rest of you guys, but I haven't had a mag problem yet in my ARs as long as they weren't severely damaged and the springs were good. The <$10 mags work just as well as the $20> ones. AND---------I can buy twice as many!!!!!!
Savage

I've bought "bargain" magazines just to save a couple bucks before and they ended up being complete junk.  They had to be forced into and out of the mag well, and then didn't feed very well.  I've asked on other forums and these $10 mags seem to be the best there is for the $$.  At least these days we have the opportunity to ask others what their experience has been with specific products before we buy them.  I would have passed on the $10 mags based on previous cheap purchases, just because I would have thought it was too good to be true.

Offline rzwieg

• Avid Poster
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2008, 10:52:30 PM »
D&H mags are milspec, formerly LaBelle Industries.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2008, 01:57:03 AM »
Well, there are a couple in the mail headed my way.  I'll let you all know how well the $10 mags work out.

Offline blackwolfe

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2008, 09:04:18 PM »
I too am new to the AR's and have a few magazine questions.  I have seen both curved and straight magazines and carbon silicon or stainless steel spring available.  What are the advantages and disadvatages of curved vs straight magazines and the differant types of springs.  Thanks.
wolfe

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2008, 02:23:09 AM »
Well, there are a couple in the mail headed my way.  I'll let you all know how well the $10 mags work out.

The mags came in.  They all went in and out without any trouble.  I haven't been able to take them to a range yet, but so far they're great!

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2008, 02:40:04 AM »
Well Blackwolfe, I'm new to this also but I have read everything I could find for the last couple of months.  And from what I have seen, all of the 30 round mags are curved to allow for the taper of the cartridge.  The 20's can be either curved or straight.  In the straight 20's you can see that the base is angled to allow for the taper.  Either one works well, I think it is a matter of preference.  I have chosen the 20 round stainless steel mags (which only come straight).  If the worst happens tomorrow, (election day) the mags I have might be all I can get and I chose the SS for it's long term durability.  I also have some Pmags coming and those are straight 20's also.  The aluminum mags are considered expendable by the army and I have heard people say don't worry about the aluminum mags, if one messes up, just pitch it.  That may be fine if you have 30 magazines, but when you only have a few, I want to keep all I have!  I hope this helps a little.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline FourBee

« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2008, 02:53:23 AM »
blackwolfe wrote: What are the advantages and disadvatages of curved vs straight magazines

The longer curved mags serve to be less of a obstacle when loaded into the rifle's mag well.   As for the mag spring variations, other than personal prefrence, someone else may have an answer.  

Thanks for the report teddy12b .  Sounds like you found yourself a good deal.  
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2008, 04:31:42 AM »
We'll see how the election goes tomorrow.  I may be stocking up.

**Checked the website and they are either sold out or quit selling them right now.**   Maybe I'm wrong but I think there are a lot of people waiting to see how tomorrow turns out.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2008, 07:02:29 AM »
Yes, most of the website's are sold out already.  I think people have been stocking up for the last couple of months just in case!  I know I did.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!