Author Topic: William Layton  (Read 953 times)

Offline buffermop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
William Layton
« on: October 21, 2008, 03:09:08 PM »
Anyone hear from the old boy lately? Just wondered if he checked in on his road trip. :)

Offline williamlayton

Re: William Layton
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 09:22:48 AM »
Well, speak of coincidences.
I am back and I wish I were still there.

Tales of the tape:
2007 Ford Expedition.
5.4 liter six speed transmission (you too can have one if you wish too total yours.)
6,950 miles.
379 gallons of fuel.
19.6 MPG

States visited:
Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky,Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine.
Sates driven through without stopping:
NC,SC,Ala.,Ga.,Miss.,LA.

Most surprising state visited: West Virginia
Uncluttered by shops or tourist like me. Great scenery and the leaves were getting full color.

Great state with a bad reputation: New York
Fall colors were gorgeous and mountains were great. The Finger Lakes were awesome. My Heritage comes from Seneca and Seneca Falls. Lots of pretty off the main roads--try them.

The fall colors in the mountains of Maine were past prime but beautiful, none the less. The lower slopes were top of their prime.

Roads were all beautiful and in good condition--lots of construction on the freeways (another good reason to stay off them.)
Up state or Down East Maine may have been worth the drive and was pretty much the best of the trip for me---but not by much.
Local folks thruout the trip were a real pleasure.

Funny stories---the NY Trooper who drove side by side of me for ten miles. I was on cruise at 70mph on a 65mph freeway. I figgered that he knew my speed and would have stopped me before he got along side or he wasn't going too.
Lobster eating for the first time. Picture of the Hen kissing the Lobster when she was finished.

Three covered bridges. Sunday bridge on Sunday.

Stops with buddies from GBO. JMN in Little Rock. Nice guy and was a good visit.
Littlecanoe in Kentucky. Met at the local McDondalds--and his family came down with him. He was a good meet and truely as though you find his conversations on these pages. Good looking family.
Ironglow in NY--I have a brother, but then, I knew it already. Truely a gentleman. We saw some sights around his home and walked some woods together.
People I wish I could have met: Well all of you would have been nice. Wish Oldtimer and I could have made contact. the phone conversation was good.
GB the ol man hisownself--just couldn't make it happen. it was a real disappointment.
Boys, I had a great time.
I hope all of you have the pleasure at some point.
Blessings 

TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Beers

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 01:31:20 PM »
Hey, Glad you had a good time... and doubly glad to hear that you enjoyed our misunderstood State. It truly is especially beautiful this time of year. (particularly if you love to bowhunt :)) What part of WV did you pass through?

Offline littlecanoe

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 01:47:51 PM »
WL,

It was a pleasure.  The door's always open and the coffee's on.

Offline CannonKrazy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 03:57:31 PM »
You have just made a trip that I hope to make soon. I dream of the day when I can load up the truck and set out on an adventure not having a set destination but only a direction. I think everyone should see this beautiful country once in their life. My hats off to you WL.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 01:47:56 AM »
There is a lot too be said about WV, particularly if you were not expecting all of the beauty.
There is a scenic loop which starts out of Lewisburg in the SE. It was about a 5 or 6 hour loop.
I wish I lived close enough too see all of it again in bits and pieces.
YUP, NY state was a pleasure. I had inklings of that from a previous life.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 04:12:06 AM »
Mr Bill        Sounds like the trip my wife has been pressuring for, but the older I get the less I like the idea of driving in traffic. Sounds like you stuck mostly to the side roads. We are mostly interested in the history of the area, the revolution and civil war, were you able to take in that kind of stuff without hitting the big cities? Did you do a lot of research as to timeing your trip? I would think you were pushing hitting some bad weather in New England. Any suggestions you might have would be appreciated, After reading about your enthusiasm, I may do it next year if there isn't a second civil was in progress.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 05:09:31 AM »
Sound like it was a great trip. I would love to see that part of the US if it wasn't so far away from me. Flatland hick like me would probably get run over pretty quick too.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 12:15:53 PM »
TM
Yes I saw all of the Whites and they are beautiful--any time of the year i would imagine.
bilmac
I looked at several sites over the year. Timing was not as crucial as i would have thought. I missed the peak in the mountains--as I said--but they were still amazing and I made up by seeing the peaks in other, lower, spots.
I had a big print road atlas and followed a bunch of dotted roads and if not dotted just side roads--got lost and then wandered around till I found a road that led somewhere. Heck, I wasn't going to starve and I always had at least a 1/2 tank of fuel and folks spoke the same language. I didn't care where I was cause I was where I wanted too be even when lost.
The great part about a trip is not the destination it is getting there. We made no reservations or designations except for motels and seeing where a road went.
BTW---the CB worked great and was a joy.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 02:23:51 PM »
well according to states visited you mised our mountains[n.c.]
  but w virginia is close enough..good trip sounds like..
  i may take me a trip if situation presents itself..only i l be walkin or riding a bike.. summer in the north,, winter in the south..one o my kids sending my check to me ..that is if they still doing that then.. :)

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 04:29:10 PM »
Sounds like a nice trip William.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 01:47:52 AM »
Slim
I did see some of NC.
I got off the Blue Ridge in NC and wandered around in the NW a bit.
Loved it.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 02:03:14 AM »
glad it went well.  welcome back.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 07:03:03 AM »
glad it went well.  welcome back.

Ditto!
You missed me as I would have been around 8hr off your flight path...Highlights would have been perculated coffee and perhaps a Coyote hunt so you didn't miss out on all that much
except for the percuated coffee and the Coyote hunt ;) Life Just Doesnt Get Any Finer Than This!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 06:14:55 PM »
I think it's only a rumor that he is back home. He said he wuz gonna drop by and he hasn't yet so I'm sure he must still be in route and will get here before going home.  :o

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 02:05:52 AM »
GB
I is sorry. I wish I could have and may at another time.
I got so dang tired I just moved on. Cut it all short.
That doan mean I doan like you--I was truely looking forward too it.
I am planning another trip too the keys__the Hen is going too go too Disney with my grandaughter for her 5th birthday--I usually drive.
I am thinking I will do the RTJ trail Going out--I won't be tired---meet them in FLA and then on too the Keys.
We will get together.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 02:30:56 AM »
  Bill,
   It was a pleasure..too bad you can't be here for deer season..rifle season starts in a couple weeks. Took a man in a green suit to see the back end of my woods..he will be back in a couple weeks (Bill knows what I mean).. :D
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)