Author Topic: Which AK ?  (Read 1196 times)

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
Which AK ?
« on: April 10, 2008, 03:14:46 PM »
I don't know why,but I am thinking getting an AK.I don't really need one,but I want one.I am don't sure which one to buy.I looked at some WASR-10 (High Cap 2).They are fairly cheap;of course they look cheap also.The finish on the so-called bluing and the stock leaves a lot to be desired.They look very-ruff compared to my other rifles.Of course I understand what and it's ok.I can leave with it.Which mod,make,whatever do you guys recommend?I just what one to shoot,no hunting just a toy.........Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Which AK ?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 04:03:07 PM »
someone did a shoot off a couple of years ago and the  romanian outshot the russian and polish one they didn't test the norinco but i understand it is one of the better ones. Then Chinese make good guns the rest of their stuff may be crap but guns have a good rep. played with a jw15 22 yesterday sub 1/4in 5 shot groups at 25 yds.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline GrassLakeRon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 05:18:27 AM »
After a lot of research I went with a Norinco NHM-91.  It has a thicker receiver and barrel.  You can find one on gunbroker.

Happy Hunting

Ron

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 10:43:57 AM »
just get a valmet in 7.62x39
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline cochise

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 05:27:10 PM »
I also had a NHM91.  It ran flawlessly. The only downside was the gay clinton thumbhole  stock.  It pissed me off so much looking at that abortion of a stock that I sold it.  If only I had held off till the AWB sunset that thing would have made me proud with a new set of furniture. Nowadays I think the best deal in aks are the saigas.  They are pretty reasonable and easily converted to pg configuration.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 06:23:21 PM »
Another vote for the norinko. It's hard to get a bad ak, but these little guys seem to be better than the other imports. Depending on your price point there are some good USA made aks. Cosmetically they are better than the chinese. try impactguns for reference.
Molon labe

Offline Shawnee Gene

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 09:58:54 PM »
Get a Romanian SAR-1, if you can find one.  Mine works great.
"Wheel guns are Real guns!"

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 01:54:19 AM »
I have a NHM-91 and screw the klintons.  I took the thumbhole and fat forearm off, used them for firewood andf installed regular AK furniture.  She is sooo sweet. 

My advice - get one, half a dozen or more mags, 1k rounds of ammo, sight it in and get to know it, then hide it for when you will need it.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 03:06:54 AM »
 Whoops, an unvote for the norinco,,,,,,,,,,,,, guys those(nhm-91) are rpk's not AK's(well maybe an rpk wanna be  ;D). Except they are in x39 instead of x54. I just got a price shock, went to look up my norinco, ktr and polytechs on Guns America to give him a reference. I can sell them( if there is a sucker) and buy a new vehicle.
 I assumed after the ban sunset, that they started shipping everything back in. These must be parts kits that are at all the gun stores.
Any thoughts guys.
Molon labe

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 03:11:21 AM »
Get the cheapest one.  You won't be keeping it long, and the government isn't going to give you much for it.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 05:06:26 AM »
I have a Norinco Mak-90.  Great rifle.  Taken a hog with it.  It's currently wearing standard wood furniture, but has worn black plastic with a Tapco adjustable stock.  That's my preferred configuration, but I like the look of the wood.  I've handled the Romanians and they just don't have the "feel" of the Norinco.  I have a friend that has one, though, and it shoots great...plus it's easier to find.

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 06:09:53 AM »
I still think the Valmet and Galil are the best 'AK' rifles made.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson