Author Topic: Need a new strategy  (Read 461 times)

Offline Bayou Stalker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
Need a new strategy
« on: October 28, 2008, 04:04:51 PM »
Ok, I need some input from you guys.  I have been hunting an 80 acre plot for the last 10 hunts, 3 of which were practicaly all day hunts.  I walked up on a doe and yearling, and almost got a shot off, on my first outing and thought I had it made.  I haven't seen a deer since and I'm thinking of giving up on this patch of land.  There are about 6 or 7 main trails that were cleared with a bulldozer and planted with rye grass as well in an attempt to keep them in the 80 acre patch.  There are tons of tracks on the trails, where they are crossing.  The woods are a thick 15 year old pine timber with some scattered hard woods.  The underbrush is very thick outside of the trails.  We have 6 stands and a blind setup, and 3 trail cameras.  Except for a couple mid-day movements, the cameras are showing movement almost exclusively 45 minutes before and after daylight.  The woods are surrounded by rye grass owned by someone else too.  We have not identified their bedding area and suspect that it deep in the thick woods.  Am I wasting my time here until the rut, or have I just not done enough crawling into the thick underbrush?

Thanks
Kendall
Kendall

Offline buck460XVR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Need a new strategy
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 04:53:18 PM »
Am I wasting my time here until the rut, or have I just not done enough crawling into the thick underbrush?

not enough info Kendall, but I suspect you may have done too much crawlin' thru the brush. 80 acres is not a huge tract and iffin it were me huntin' it, I would be as discreet as possible comin' in and going out. Bow or gun. Get in and get out. Deer get jumped outta a spot they usually wont go back there for a while.....you wanna walk around , you best be having hundreds or thousands of acres to hunt. Don't take much pressure to make deer nocturnal and it don't take too many times of being spooked for deer to pattern you as you're comin' in. I watched deer move outta one end of 100 acre parcels as hunters got outta their trucks on the other end. Just the sound of the truck coming up to the usual parking spot was enough to spook them. Deer learn fast or they die.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline backstrap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Need a new strategy
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 07:05:14 AM »
I am like buck sound to me u been in there to much and need to let things settle down,give this place a few days without u being in there to settle down.and then try it again but the more days u cant give it without u being in there the faster the deer will get back to there patterns
1 shot 1 kill