Author Topic: Source for Wheel Weights  (Read 2563 times)

Offline GypsmJim

• Trade Count: (0)
Source for Wheel Weights
« on: March 25, 2008, 10:01:03 AM »
For many years I paid 5 bucks for a half bucket of WW from my local tire shop.  Now under new management they won't sell any more.  I spent hours on the phone today and can't find one local source.  All the tire shops are required to return them to their supplier for re-melting, and the junk yards say they are prohibited from selling lead.

Be that as it may, is there a a national source (other than e-bay) where they can be purchased from?
Jim

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
Re: Source for Wheel Weights
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 12:34:14 AM »
Good luck. All the sources I normally use will not sell anymore- same reasons as yours.
Have found some stuff on e-bay and some here, but be careful. Bought some alloy off of e-bay that wouldn't cast worth a hoot.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 01:55:26 AM »
Have you checked the service station type of shops and the used tire places?  I've had good luck with both of these.  The used tire places sometimes reuse pull offs, but will sell them for a better price than Ebay, without the shipping charge.

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 11:07:40 AM »
Jim,
Where are from that they recycle wheel weights? I'm in the auto industry and don't know of anyone around here who is "required" to return old weights. I did work for an old TIGHTWAD once who had me sort used weights by size, cleanup and reuse them. Many of the tire shops, locally, are glad to have someone come by and ask for them just to get them out of the way. Your stores may be recycling at the local scrapyard for a big beer-bust or something !
If you're located anywhere near me I might be able to hook ya up.

HWD

Offline GypsmJim

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 01:33:16 PM »
I got the same story from several (different) places, so I don't doubt its true.  The local wholesale supplier of new wheel weights has contractual agreements with the tire stores he sells to.  When he delivers a supply of new ones, he picks up the old ones.  I'm sure he is strongarming his customers, but the tire dealers seem to think its a good deal.

I did try a number of small service stations.  They all said the didn't have many, and basically sounded like they didn't want to be bothered with it. 
I'm in western NY.
Jim

Offline Racer X

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 02:14:47 PM »
Same thing happened to me...the local place where I have been buying them for $20 a 5 gallon bucket has changed wheel weight suppliers who buys the tire stores old ones. The other day, I paid $60 for 5 gallon bucket that they said weighed 200 lbs.
Estranged eldest son of Mom and Pops Racer and older brother of legendary Mach V race car driver Speed Racer

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 11:56:59 AM »
All the tire shops are required to return them to their supplier for re-melting

This suprizes me since there is a big push to move away from lead WW.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 04:23:22 PM »
Lead is in demand.

It is going to be in greater demand.

It's a function of international increases in manufacturing. 

AND it's only going to grow.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 07:09:14 PM »
Get a couple of the wheel weight tools that the tire shops use, and turn your kids loose in a walmart parking lot..... :o
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 06:41:14 PM »
I found a tire dealer that gives me all I want.  I leave a one gallon pail and he calls me when it's full.  The first load is about 90% stick on lead.  The rest seems mostly junk.  Gonna take it back soon. 

I need to do some smelting.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline huntswithdogs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 08:22:45 AM »
Jim,

I'd say "strongarm" is about right. I just got in an order for some weights the other day. I asked the driver if they'd ever been directed to pick up '' exchange weights ". He give me one of those "ARE YOU CRAZY" looks and said, "Why would we want your old ones back?'' He laughed and shook his head when I gave him the explaination.

HWD

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 11:33:09 PM »
check with your nearest salvage yard or recycleing depot.
blue lives matter

Online gypsyman

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 05:04:26 AM »
Try your local plumbing supply house. I know alot has switched over to plastic pipe, but they still might carry lead for the old timers. You might have to mix it with some of the high antimoney shot to get the hardness up, but it would still be cheaper than buying bullets. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 12:43:44 AM »
Get a couple of the wheel weight tools that the tire shops use, and turn your kids loose in a walmart parking lot..... :o

::) Is that the way you get your's? How do you get your gasoline?
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 05:38:15 AM »
On my way back from my surgeon's visit I stopped at one of the tire stores in search of wheel weights. The last time I stopped there I got a 5 gallon bucket , a 2 gallon bucket and a good sized cardboard box full of weights, most of them truck weights, all for $20. Today the man wanted $40 for a 5 gallon bucket full. Needles to say they stayed with him. The next shop I went to gave me a 3/4 full 5 gallon bucket for free!

I'll remember that when I need new tires on my SUV......
Tom

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 04:04:03 PM »
I've had good luck when I get tires, asking if they have any spare wts.  But at one tire shot I was told that this was the last time as they were recycling; they had a recycler who had a contract to pickup the wts for a set price.  A lot of our lead is going to China; the main reason lead is going up and up.  I've started carrying an iron rake to my outdoor range and on days I'm alone; I rake the dirt backstops or shovel them onto a hardware cloth basket.  I've picked up 50+ lbs in 30 min.  I have to sort the cast from the jacketed as the jacketed is soft enough to use for B/p.  Most cast is hard enough, but I do add some linotype to insure sharp casts and raise the hardness.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 07:08:22 PM »
"Is that the way you get yours? How do you get your gasoline?"

Gee Flash, I go to the church parking lot at night with a hose and gas can.... What do you think? ;)

Don't be ignorant. Take a post as tongue-in-cheek....

Tom

Offline PaulS

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 09:29:17 PM »
Get a recycler permit and do the same as the guys who are picking them up now.
Get one of the guys off to the side and see if he can pick up weights on his own for you. tell him to ask his boss if he can take some of the surplus weights for casting at home - and then he can sell them to you for a small profit and you get cheap lead. A lot of businesses will allow employees to take scrap when the won't sell it to someone off the street.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline Idaho_Elk_Huntr

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 01:23:36 PM »
I have been having the same problems. But I started changing things. These guys that are paying lttle of nothing in my area are in for a treat. I started offering 20, 30, 50 cents a pound for them. Came home with 4 buckets Thursday that I paid 20 cents a pound for but I will pay 50 cents if I need too.

Offline docmagnum357

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 03:33:26 PM »
While you are at the scrtap yard, do what i did.  I got a 14 inch elbow for the city wter system.  It is cat iron or ductile iron, I don't know which.  It had a two foot piece of Pipe attached to it.  I welded the iece of pipe to a flat piece of 1/4 inch plate, and I welded casters to the bottom of the plate.  I now have a bullet trap that weighs six hundred odd pounds.  It rolls around, and will catch any handgun bullet i have tried in it, up to a 44 magnum.  I just use the lead over, and over, and over. 

I teach concealed carry classes.  I have a .22 caliber bullet trap bolted to the back of my target stand where the students Qualify outsdide on nice days, and in the basement on rainy days.  I have a sandbag wall behind the target astand, and walls, and a 6x6 ceiling over the shooting lane.  I have only had three bullets that missed the trap, and those just barely.  They went harmlessly into the sandbag back stop.  The best part is that I catch all those nice 22 LR bullets for my .38 target loads!  Same thing with them; I shoot them into the .22 bullet trap and I have more and more lead all the time, instead of less and less.  The only real drawback is that i can't shoot the magnum outside, but shooting in the basement keeps the noise down.  .38 target loads aren't as loud as high velocity 22s, in my opinion.  I am sure that this is not reccomended, But I have never had a whole bullet come back out of the 22 trap.  Again, I only use midrange wadcutters, at about 800-850 fps.  I imagine a 357 would badly dent, or even perforate one of the commercial bullet traps.  The magnums I shoot into the water pipe elbow.  It keeps soft lead with soft, and hard with hard.

You should ALWAYS Use safety glasses when using a bullet trap of any kind, because of the lead particles that WILL fly back.  hanging a piece of rubber pond liner over the trap helps with that, too.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 05:11:55 PM »
Doc

What happens to the copper plateing on some 22 bullets?

Offline docmagnum357

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 02:05:48 PM »
To th best of my knowledge, it doesn't alloy with the lead.  I assume it floats to the top and gets fluxed off.  There would be so little of it that I doubt it would hurt.  I usually use the non plated, standard velocity stuff anyway.  The best I understand, it isusually less than 3% tin, so it casts reall good .38 target bullets.  It casts prettier bullet than my wheel weight bullets.