Author Topic: INFO NEEDED  (Read 957 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
INFO NEEDED
« on: October 29, 2008, 05:27:50 AM »
Not that I think I have a real find--but I am curious.
In my recent wanderlust I found the Kitterick Trading Post as advised by another member here.
It was a wonderful three hours.
I found a used, and somewhat beat up 94 in 30/30 but the bore looks good and the mechanics OK.
It has been used/carried around some, with dents in the stock and the blueing being rubbed off the discharge and reciever housing, around the leaver.
Not anything that bothers me or, at this point, the mechanics.
Got it for $200 with a rifle rag thrown in on the deal. Like I said the price seemed OK for a feller who doesn't know much about long guns.
Serial number is 3567180.
Anybody know about the year of manufacture?
I am considering a peep sight and would like some conversation about that also.
Blessings   
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
Re: INFO NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 06:07:32 AM »
1972 and they made 249114 model 94s that year.

serial # at start of 1972 was 3557386 and ended with 3806499.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 06:19:09 AM »
Yep! 1972.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 11:47:29 AM »
Dee
I am going to do the hand rub on the stock, as you advised in another thread here. I have heard of this before.
Now, to decide about a peep sight.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Skunk

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 09:58:59 AM »

William,

I've heard many times that with peep sights, you can't go wrong with your namesake: a Williams. ;)
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Dee

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 12:24:08 PM »
Dee
I am going to do the hand rub on the stock, as you advised in another thread here. I have heard of this before.
Blessings

william, I have gone with the Lyman everytime. I have had one on my 50 year old for well over 35 years, and it has never failed me. There is an identical one on my Model 92. Your Model 94 is already drilled and tapped for the Lyman, and I am sure the Williams. I chose the Lyman, because I know their quality is always good. I know little about the Williams.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 04:59:39 PM »
The Lyman is a good sight.
The Williams sights have been used on some of the finest custom guns built.
I have used them on many different types of gun with great success.
They are very durable with a fine sight picture and very positive adjustments.
IMO I would rate the Williams a little higher than the Lyman.
They both work very well.
Which ever you happen to like.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 03:17:31 AM »
Those are the two I like--I dunno which yet.
I am, as usual, skeptical of my mechanical skills---I may seek the aid of a smith, just too insure it to be done well.
First I am going too have the weapon safety checked and then, this week, I will take it too the range, as is, and see how it performs.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 04:44:52 PM »
Nothing too "mechanical" about it.  Remove the two plug screws on the side of the receiver, put the receiver sight in position and attach with the two screws which come with it.  Locktight on the screws is a good idea but not a real necessity.

If you are going to use the same load with the rifle all the time, get the Williams Foolproof with regular screw adjustments.  If you are going to be switching loads which will necessitate frequent sight adjustments, get the Williams Foolproof with target knobs, or the Lyman.  I believe the later has coin slots for the adjusting screws so you don't need a screw driver.  At least they did "in the old days" as my eight year old likes to call it.

You will also need to install a higher front sight.  Get a brass drift or pin with a hammer to drive the old sight out of the dovetail and to drive the new one on.  If you want to really make it pretty, drive the rear sight off and fill the slot with a dovetail blank, file that to the same contour as the barrel (be sure to put masking tape on the barrel on either side so you don't file it also), then use some cold bluing to finish it up.

-Winter Hawk-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Peeps Re: INFO NEEDED
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 07:43:15 PM »
I have a Williams Foolproof on my Win m 94 and like it a lot.  Have one on my Marlin 39A too and some of the Williams 5D's on some other guns. The 5D is ok but I like the Foolproof better.  Sometimes Midway has a real good price on these sights.

I have a Wild West Guns Ghost ring on my Marlin 94 which is ok for that gun and really rough duty, short distance shooting. Sure wish the newer Marlins were drilled on the side for peeps instead of just using the scope base holes on the top. Its hard to mount the Williams far enough back on new Marlins IMO.

Like previous post said, installation is pretty easy. Just use the proper size screw drivers, maybe a drop of nonhardening Locktite.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 04:59:24 AM »
What front sight??
One with a shroud??
I like the fiber optics but it has been discussed that, perhaps, they may not be a good choice because of the recoil.
If this is a concern, please advise on another choice.
You may notice that I am, at first blush, not real big on the shroud thought.
I may still have a smith do the works and have it bore sighted too speed up the sighting.
The Williams with the knobs or the Lyman hold the most interest now, though I like the thought of knock around benefits of the other.
The tang hold no interest as those I have tried in the past seemed very inadequate and clumsy for me.
I have decided on a limb saver--the one with leather and leather ties. I had this on a deer rifle 40 years ago and liked the looks and the recoil pad, itself. I am not real big on a permanent recoil pad.
This is fun.
Blessings   
TEXAS, by GOD