Author Topic: Help with new Purchase!  (Read 677 times)

Offline verzilli

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
Help with new Purchase!
« on: December 28, 2008, 12:09:57 AM »
Have a $100 gift cert to Cabelas.  My cost with GC: Knight Rolling BLock for $129 (on sale); Omega Z for $209 or T/C Triumph for over $300.  Are the T/C's worth an additional 100-200?  Just want a solid rifle.

Offline Keith Lewis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Help with new Purchase!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 05:02:07 AM »
The Rolling block is a great rifle with one exception. It presently will not shoot the new Blackhorn 209 powder well. If you are going to shoot anything else the Knight RB will suit your purpose well. It is not well designed for open sights as the stock is high comb for scope use. The T/C rifles are picky as to what full bore conicals that they will shoot. The T/C rifles are also very tight bore in most cases which requires some fiddleing around with sabot fit. I could find none that were on the shelf that would fit my Omega. Had to order sabots until I found some that I could change the bullets in the over the counter ones. Not a big deal but somewhat of a pain. I have an Omega and the KRB. I like the KRB better but I shoot a scoped rifle. The KRB is a little easier to disassemble and reassemble without changing the point of impact which the Omega is sensitive to. Most Omega rifles seem to need to be bedded to shoot well consistently unless you are really good at assembling the stock exactly the same every time.

Offline verzilli

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 06:46:28 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I found out that the KRB uses a Green Mtn barrel, so I'm sure it will shoot way better  than me!  Since I can get it so cheaply, what scope do you recommend?  A shotgun or BPowder scope?  Thanks.

Offline alleyyooper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 09:21:22 AM »
A normal center fire scope will work well on a Muzzle loader.
What you buy depends on your buget.
I have two Bushnells trophys on two of my muzzle loaders and like them. On a 3d I have  a Weaver K4 fixed 4 power scope that works very well and has for many years.

;D  Al
Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.

http://oldgrumpy.fanspace.com

Offline verzilli

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 11:20:51 AM »
Thanks

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 11:27:42 AM »
CVA Accura- Put'em all to shame.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 02:30:52 PM »
Have a $100 gift cert to Cabelas.  My cost with GC: Knight Rolling BLock for $129 (on sale); Omega Z for $209 or T/C Triumph for over $300.  Are the T/C's worth an additional 100-200?  Just want a solid rifle.

Knight makes a good (and safe to shoot) muzzleloader.  I'd get a Bushnell 1.5-4.5X32 for about $60.00 online.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~