Author Topic: nikon scopes  (Read 865 times)

Offline billy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
nikon scopes
« on: November 14, 2008, 03:17:54 PM »
Anyone use a Nikon buckmaster or monarch scope if so what is your opinion of it?
I enjoy collecting guns, swaping and staying up on all the newest models. I deer, quail, squirrel and rabbit hunt.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
Re: nikon scopes
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 03:30:48 PM »
I've had the ProStaff 4x32, the Buckmaster4x40, and a old (before the re-design last year) Monarch 2-7x32.  Honestly, I liked all three scopes pretty well.  When you compare them to other scopes in their respective price class, they are all very competitive. 

I paid $89 for the Prostaff and had it on a T/C Black Diamond, and it's probably the best glass I've looked through for under $100.

I paid $149 for the Buckmaster and put in on a T/C Omega Z5.  I really liked the adjustment knobs on it, easy to grip and precise, without the need for any tools to adjust them.  Glass was great.  My only objection to it is that I felt that it was just a tad too long for a 4x fixed power scope at 13+".  Again, for $150 or less, probably the best glass I've seen.

I paid $250 for the Monarch (that was at least 10 years ago).  Superb glass, IMO, perfect size and weight.  Eye relief was good too.  For some reason the power ring was very stiff, and it didn't loosen up with use.  Not a problem, really, as I usually kept it at 4x.  It was on a Remington 700 stainless Mountain Rifle in 30-06.  That gun kicked pretty good, especially with the 180gr loads, but the scope never failed and I never got bit by it either.  When I was shopping for a scope on this gun, I spent hours looking at virtually every scope that cost OVER $250...Leupold Vari X II and III, Zeiss Conquest, Elite 4200, etc.  I thought that the Zeiss was the best, but $500 was a little too high for me.  Out of all the others, I liked the Monarch WAY better than the rest of them.  No contest really. 

I haven't looked at the new Monarchs, but I'm sure that they are fabulous.

Offline Old English

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 01:35:17 AM »
I have a bunch of Nikkons and I like them a lot. There is a Monarch 3/9*40 badged with Team Primos. That is a great scope for $200, I therefore have 3 of them. I have compared that scope with VX3, VX1 and others I own. The Monarch is so bright and sharp, doubt I'll buy another Leupold. I've had some higher powered Monarchs which I sold as I find 3/9 or similar better for my kind of hunting. The higher powered Monarchs were top notch though. I have one Buckmaster and it is also very good, also the Omega scope on a ML. Nikkon are excellent IMHO.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 05:03:33 AM »
I bought a used Monarch 2x7 and it's a great scope. My son has a Monarch 3x9 and wonders why he paid $150 more for a vari x III?
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline billy

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 12:01:26 PM »
Well i ordered a Nikon monarch 2.5x10x42 today ,hope it turn,s out to be a good scope,opinions welcomed.
I enjoy collecting guns, swaping and staying up on all the newest models. I deer, quail, squirrel and rabbit hunt.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 12:08:10 PM »
I have a Nikon Titanium scope on a stainless varmint rifle. That scope has made me consider more Nikons

Offline KRP

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 12:29:19 PM »
I've got several Nikons: Buckmasters, Monarchs, and Prostaff.  If Nikon makes a scope that fits my needs it's first on my list.  Bang for the buck their glass is hard to beat.  Their limited adjustment range can be a downside but the optical quality is great.

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 04:46:52 PM »
Billy,

I just received my new Monarch 5 X 20 X 44 Side Focus and although I haven't yet mounted it, I can tell it is going to be one swell scope. Mine came with 2 extra sets of turrets and a Sunshade. I think you made a great decision on the Monarch 2.5x10x42. I agree with KRP and all the others that the bang for the buck with the Nikons is hard to beat.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline billy

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 04:22:49 AM »
Thanks Skunk, i have been very happy with my pro staff scopes ,also think Nikon makes  good optics,can,t wait to mount it on my new model 70 and Ded Nutz mounts,they are rock solid.

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 11:49:49 AM »
Billy, great combo. Congrats! ;)
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline nodlenor

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 02:11:35 PM »
I have a Nikon Buckmaster on my Howa 270win. I bought it refurbished and so far it has worked great. It has the BDC reticle but I haven't tried it at long range to see how well that works. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey

Offline billy

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 02:13:00 PM »
Thanks Ahab,i really like the Ded Nutz mounts ,these are my 1st one piece mounts.

Offline billy

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 02:15:44 PM »
Hey nodlenor,i have a howa 270 also but it has a pro staff on it ,great little scope for the money,howa are good rifle also.

Offline nodlenor

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 02:19:30 PM »
Billy, I agree. I have three of them and like them a lot. Great guns, especially for the money.
Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey