Author Topic: Lee Liquid Alox drying ??  (Read 1669 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Lee Liquid Alox drying ??
« on: October 25, 2008, 03:40:46 AM »
Does anyone know how well this stuff dries in temps around 40 deg. , this is my first time using this product , the bottle says that it will dry to a semi-hard , varnish like finish but gives no drying time or temp limits .

All my casting stuff is set up in my unheated garage to keep it out of the house , would a small space heater / fan help the drying ?

I don't have my Lyman 450 set up yet so I decided to give this stuff a try till then , any input would be a great help .

Thanks in advance .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Lee Liquid Alox drying ??
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 04:16:55 AM »
Last time I used the stuff in cool temps I dipped in the evening and didn't get back to it till around noon the next day and it was good to go.  Doesn't really answer the question but it's all I got.

Offline larry357

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Nope, its a 45
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 10:36:25 AM »
I used to use LLA a good bit and I found thinning with rubbing alchohol sped up drying time a little. At 40 deg. I am not sure but in my heated and cooled "bullet" room mine would dry in a couple hours but I wouldnt mess with em till the next morning. I dont think a heater would help because it would probably keep it runny longer, but a fan might. Not much of an answer here either but I know you,ll be happy when you get your L450 set up.

Life member: NRA, NAHC, NAFC

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 01:15:56 PM »
dont like it much for bullets but it works good if you heat it up and use it as a leather protectant.
blue lives matter

Offline Castaway

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 01:47:59 PM »
Can't answer you question either, but can offer my technique.  I put the bullets in a plastic tub, alox them and shake around.  Leave them in the tub and come back in 12 hours, shake again.  Do it a time or two more and put them in the finished bullet box ready for reloading.  I don't think they ever get dry but mine always seem to stay tacky.  Gave up on placing them on wax paper and waiting forever.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 07:32:04 PM »
The stuff never dries, but stays a bit tacky. I just loaded some up today that were on the waxed paper for a week... in the house... Still a bit tacky but it does work good.

The instructions say to let it dry for at least overnight.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 10:26:41 PM »
Problem I ran into with it was on the 230gr rn I noticed after while my bullets were starting to seat deeper than what my seater die was set for. Took the die apart and found that the lube had started to build up in the seater.

Gun Runner

Offline DennisB

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 03:18:13 PM »
I've used the alox for almost 20 years with everything from little 9mm's to 405 grain .458s.  It doesn't seem to matter whether it's 40 degrees or 80 degrees, it takes overnight to set up.  It is messy and like Gun Runner says, will gunk up a seating die nicely.  I'm phasing out the alox and have also picked up a Lyman 450--time to get serious ;)
Dennis In Ft Worth

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 04:33:20 PM »
  Just like the other guys said, LLA NEVER seems to completely dry. I've sprinkled a little talcum on it with varying results. Some times the ammo smells like a NEW baby diaper, other times I didn't get enough on! YES, it gums up the dies, BUT it does work to keep leading down. I've pushed wheel weight bullets to over 2400 FPS with it. Getting very good accuracy and NO leading in several different rifles and handguns. IF you like it is about the easiest way to lube your cast bullets. It does come with some extra work ,like cleaning the dies occasionally! I find OTHER lubes,like FWFL to be as good or better for those bullets I have to size and gas check.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 12:21:41 AM »
use mica to sprinkle your bullets with if you must put something on them. Talc is abrasive.
blue lives matter

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 02:28:53 PM »
Well it took about 36 hours but it did dry to a very mild tacky finish , this was with temps in the low 30s at night and highs in the mid 60s in the afternoon .

To be real honest I kinda like this stuff , did up a batch of 195 grain bullets for my 41GNR , loaded them up this AM and off to the range I went . loads were on the slow side for the GNR @ around 1100 fps , no leading , fouling or other adverse signs so I may just stick with it for this round .

I also did up a 100 little pills for my 22 cal rifles , the Alox did a nice job of ( gluing ) the GC's on too , as these bullets will be shot as cast with no sizing being done .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped