Author Topic: Deer season opener  (Read 500 times)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Deer season opener
« on: November 16, 2008, 06:51:20 AM »
Took a nice long walk with my topper deluxe slug gun friday. A cuople hundred yards out of my back door I had a perfect broad side shot at a big doe at about 100 yards. Just as I was about to shoot she stpped forward and blocked her vitals with a tree. I wasn't confident to try a head shot at that distance off hand with open sights so we just stood there staring at each other for a few minutes then she bolted. I walked back to one of my stands and sat there for about 45 minutes til it was dark. I watched a little doe walk right towards me and when she went to cross the ditch she never came out. it has been dry enough here that the deer are just walking down the bottoms of the big dicth. It kinda reminds me of the trenches in WW1. I wonder if the deer are really using it for cover or just convenience. No deer but a good hour or two in the woods with my topper in hand.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Deer season opener
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 07:08:26 AM »
Sounds like a great day in the woods Markus. I even enjoyed reading about it....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 07:55:24 AM »
Yes, a good day in the woods.  Much easier on you, to pass on a bad shot, than to miss an easy broadside shot, at 50yds.  LIKE I DID. :-\   Sounds like you have a great place to hunt.  Good Luck with that.  I still have a couple weekends and some evening hunts, after work, to see if I can harvest one, this year.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 09:06:16 AM »
My wife and I went "up to camp" as they say in Maine and it rained 7 out of the 9 days we were gone. During that time it was sunny and warm at home. We drove home 8 hours through rain and then it rained for the first 2 days we were home. It is not raining on us today for the first time in about a week. we worked our butts off at camp to make it nice for you if you ever get up this way. I hunted about 2-3 hours total and the only deer we saw on the whole trip was in the small clearing of about 2 acres next to the camp as we drove in at night in the rain one evening after going out to get more supplies to work with. I got home and now the truck is making funny noises, I may not be able to get back up this year. BUT, it was fun, at least after the sore muscles eased up....Good luck on getting a deer, my chances are most likely done now. I hope it ios just a front brake pad but I think it may be the front transfer case for the 4 wheel drive  :'( ....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 09:30:51 AM »
I'd love to see your camp, but I fear this year is just to busy. I still haven't got rid of my old house yet and since I'm still fixixng on it I don't get to spend much time at the new one or the woods right out my back door. Hope fully next year. Hope you truck problems are small.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 10:49:05 AM »

Thanks and best of luck with the house as well. Isn't this how things seem to work out. I was just planning on giving the truck to my son and it has a problem. It is a 96 I bought new in December of 95 and just turned 90K on it on this trip to the camp. Mostly highway miles back and forth to the camp. 90K in just about 13 years equals just under 7,000 miles a year, light use by any standard....<><....:)

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 03:09:19 PM »
That's good, at least you saw something. The only sign I saw was a small buck rub on a maple tree. It was my first day out this season so I was glad to just be out in the woods.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »
 My weekend was simalar.  Saturday had a deer walk up on me in the dark. 10 feet or so, to dark to see anything but a silowet after it moved :o. Scared the crap out of me. My hearing is bad, so I didnt here it coming.  Hour after daylight 2 young freezer stuffers came out, muzzle loader misfire ::)  Sunday spent all day out. Seen all the rubs and scrapes you could want to see. Did not see a deer, untill I got home and hung 4 deer in the garage, they were donated. One neighbor dont eat deer, the other only wants summer sausage.

Appears my freezer will fill even if I dont shoot any. ;D

Lonny

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 02:12:56 AM »
full freezers are VERY good!!!....<><....:)