Author Topic: peanut butter  (Read 1365 times)

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
peanut butter
« on: August 07, 2003, 12:57:36 PM »
has anyone heard of using peanut butter to attract deer?
 some old timers where saying that deer just love the stuff and cant get enough of it, any truth to this?

Offline jhm

• Trade Count: (0)
peanut butter
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 02:30:26 PM »
rickyp:  Yes I have heard of it and tried it one year but never saw any deer doing anything with it but the racoons and the squirels kept it busy, I also had a source for molassas one year and I fed (2) 5 gallon pails to the deer and it sure was funny watching them lick it off of one another after sticking their heads in the pails, but back to the peonut butter maybe this year I should try the crunchy kind :-D  :D    JIM

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
peanut butter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 05:54:02 PM »
I hear that chosy deer chose JIF.  :eek:   :-D

GB  :D

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jlk

Peanut Butter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2003, 03:53:15 AM »
:-)

In Alabama your only supposed to use Bama Peanut Butter.
One Well Placed Shot Is All It Takes

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
peanut butter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2003, 03:04:41 PM »
So . . . the big question is . . . If I drop my peanut butter and jelly sandwich out of my treestand, and a deer eats it,  is it baiting???  :lol:
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
peanut butter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2003, 07:40:05 PM »
Longwinters...

I ain't sayin' NUTHIN' more 'bout "baiting"!!!

:)

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
Something MUCH better
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2003, 09:07:37 PM »
I have used just about everything one can think of to "BAIT" my shooting box for deer cull operations and the thing that works best hands down is  salted in the shell peanuts. Deer will routinely step over dead deer to get at those things. It is strange the see the lengths they will go through to get their share and more. I have seen does run off their own fawns and does and bucks fight until bloody over those peanuts. I go through about 300lbs a year as bait.
Love those .41s'

Offline jhm

peanut butter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2003, 02:29:11 AM »
Crawfish:  Where do you live I love salted in the shell peanuts!!  And yes you are correct as I have thrown the mt shells around in the general area of a bow stand I use and they will eat the hulls I always figured it was because of the salt but I guess its got something to do with the peanut also. :D   JIM

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
peanut butter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2003, 03:02:11 PM »
Crawfish, do you supply cold beverages to go with those salty peanuts?   :)

Ron T., except for kidding around, me tooooooooo. :)

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
peanut butter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2003, 04:56:42 PM »
jhm I live in the "sand hills" of NC. Like I said I have used just about everything you could name as bait for my shooting box (a measured 25X25 foot enclosed area that is baited to draw in the deer so they can be killed by close in head shots using surpressed 22lr longguns under red lights or with nightsites). The salted in the shell peanuts work much, much better that just salt or just in the shell peanuts. There is nothing else that I have tried that is as effective in getting those deer within range of my short range guns.

:) longwinters sure do, some ice cold long neck bottles of crawfish's own "swamp water home brew", goooooood stuff :grin:  :-D
Love those .41s'

Offline sport240

peanut butter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2003, 05:42:12 PM »
Maybe I'm reading this one wrong...but....

Crawfish said :
"....Like I said I have used just about everything you could name as bait for my shooting box (a measured 25X25 foot enclosed area that is baited to draw in the deer so they can be killed by close in head shots using surpressed 22lr longguns under red lights or with nightsites)."

Do I read P-O-A-C-H-E-R?  If I do...you are one of the people I have the very least respect for...there are other names I could use, but I would probably get booted by Graybeard for my foul mouth....

If I'm reading this wrong...I apologize for the misunderstanding...

Sport240

Offline jhm

peanut butter
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2003, 03:53:06 AM »
Sport240:  He also said it was a CULL setup it may be a comercial venture but without knowing for sure I would hold judgement until I had further information, there are several people who post here who have different setups than alot of others and some of us would rather just pass on some information we use, you can only put out so much information before every reader wants to come to your property to hunt, yes a lot of what is posted sounds like it not ethical but different states and countrys have there way of doing things, I my self only put out parts of what goes on at my place, but those who have seen it and there are a few that regular post here will tell you its a long way from poaching and the deer have some of the best habitat around. :D   JIM

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
peanut butter
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2003, 09:14:18 AM »
jhm, as well as you feed the deer in your area, would you consider stocking my refridgerator? :)   But . . . no hunting in my kitchen. :)

long

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
peanut butter
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2003, 10:00:33 AM »
sport240, I have been posting on these forums for so long that I just assume that you all know that I have been in the "critter ridder" business for over 30 years. It isn't my main job but it has over the years put 3 kids through collage and will pay for some of the grandkids too.
When I started out I did it like "hunting", during the day with typical hunting gear. Because my business is 95% deer removal and mostly in housing developments in various stages of completation and occuipation over the years it has evolved into a strickly night operation using suppressed guns.  Just 10 years ago there was no cause to worry about the P.E.T.A. people but today they are a very big concern. So for my safety and their's  it is best if I can do my job in the quite. As more and more city folk move into the country side there is more and more interaction between them and the critters that were here first. Deer in the yard are pretty and fun UNTIL they start on the shrubbery that cost, in some cases, many hundreds of dollars or run the "lady" of the house inside. At that point all they want is the deer to be GONE, that is where come in with my guns, and salted in the shell peanuts. I shoot mostly in my home state but I do get calls to just about all the south eastern US states. BTY over the last 10 years I have adveraged 130 deer killed in cull operations PER YEAR. Just to easy your concern about poaching when I shoot I am the ageant to the land owner who has obtained a damage permit from the state to cull a certain number of deer. I charge a set dollar amount per job based on total number of deer to be killed PLUS a set fee of $50.00 per animal on the ground. I also charge a fee for carcus removal. I know it will be in your mind so I'll answer before. Part of the contract is that I ALWAYS give the customer a list of proven ways, to keep the deer out of the yard, that don't involve killing some use that method but most want the deer as I said GONE. Also so you will know. The killing part is a very seperate thing from my HUNTING of deer. I have NEVER considered the culls as anything more than killing there is no hunting involved at all. Also I am sure that if the day comes where I can no longer do the very necessary job of culling/killing I'l not be able to hunt/kill.  :(
Love those .41s'

Offline jhm

peanut butter
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2003, 10:02:46 AM »
Longwinters:  It would be a pleasure, I will just add you to the list and as far as the deer eating well thats exactly what the wife said last year while we were in the grocery store I pointed out some onions to her and said the deer would like some of those onions and she barked back to me that the deer are already eating pretty good, BTW I shot a deer in the Alpena area close to Posen that had been feeding in a farmers onion patch up there all year, was driving the farmer nuts anyhow it was the best eating deer I have ever eaten, and you could smell the flavoring (onions) while you were cooking him, :D   JIM

Offline sport240

peanut butter
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2003, 07:00:29 PM »
Crawfish...please accept my apologies for passing judgement so quickly.

I must admit however, that this is the first time I've ever heard of this business...and that "critter ridding" involved deer...we here in Quebec have a sizeable deer population (nothing compared to some US states however) and no critter ridding is ever necessary when it comes to whitetails.  I also wish to mention that last year a fellow was caught doing just this not too far from where I live, all decked out with night vision, infrared sensors etc....the game wardens estimated that this guy had taken between 30-40 deer in a few months alone.....maybe it was with this after-thought that I approached your post....I was a little quick on the trigger....sorry 'bout that...I am very sentitive about poaching....

Sport240

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
peanut butter
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2003, 09:55:08 PM »
sport240
no need,
Some history that has been posted before; I am for all intents and purposes a handgun only hunter have been since a tree stand accident in 1989. I can still handle a rimfire gun and after surgery in 2000 I'm slowly working back to light longguns without having to go through weeks of PT after a 12 shot 20ga dove opener anymore.
Sept 1989 I notified the sheriff about 3 trespassers on my farm. They were caught with 2 out of season does and 6 ducks. Found guilty, fined $50 and court costs of $85 each. Jump to Oct 14 same year, first day of the gun deer season. As I was getting into a lockon treestand the chain broke and I fell 14 feet to the ground, broken neck and destroyed R/shoulder, lay at the bottom of that tree for 14 hours until my youngest son found me. Sheriff found that the chain on all my lockon stands had been cut by a person or persons unknown. Never made an arrest. All that history to just say don't get me started on poaching and poachers. At least I didn't land in a fireant nest at the botton of that tree and I did stumble, literally, on to the .41RemMag when I decided to keep hunting instead of packing it in. :wink:
Love those .41s'