Author Topic: Powder/Pellet Question with a .45 Kodiak Pro  (Read 981 times)

Offline BL Drake

• Trade Count: (0)
Powder/Pellet Question with a .45 Kodiak Pro
« on: September 23, 2008, 04:30:58 AM »
I just purchased a 45 Kodiak Pro ( my 1st Muzzleloader) for deer hunting.   I am asking for some pointers on load workup.  I was considering using pellets to begin with to familiarize myself with the gun.  What is the best pellets to use?   I have read about the dreaded crud ring and would like to know what's good.  As far as projectiles are powerbelts the way to go?  It would appear that they would be the easiest?  Oh and anything else you think a newbie should know/need before heading out to the range, thanks.

Offline flinthead

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Powder/Pellet Question with a .45 Kodiak Pro
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 07:50:20 AM »
Bl,

If you wanted to shoot Powerbelts I would go with the 300 grain Platinum's over 80 to 90 grains of 777 or even better Blackhorn 209. Powerbelts are good bullets you just can't push them to fast because they will come apart on impact. I would also look at the 195g Barnes and the 200g SST/Shockwave,,, you could push these about as fast as you like for longer shooting. If you use 777, I like to swab/clean with Mean Green window cleaner or 50/50 mix of alcohol and windshield cleaner. With BH209 all you have to do is shoot as much as you like and when you feel like cleaning use Hoppe's #9 solvent. I like CCI 209's... pellets are expensive and some what limit your load selection,,, check Wal-Mart at the end of deer season and you can pick up cans of 777 for about $11 a piece. I use the TC U-view powder measurer. Good luck with your CVA and let us know how she shoots.
" A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog"

Offline BL Drake

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 12:34:54 PM »
If you use 777, I like to swab/clean with Mean Green window cleaner or 50/50 mix of alcohol and windshield cleaner.

I recently started seeing this and thought that someone was making a joke, it actually works?  I will definitely give it a try.  Would the 195g Barnes or the 200g Shockwave be big enough to take down a deer without issue?  The few charts I have seen all suggest at least a 225G bullet. 

Thanks for the ideas!

Offline flinthead

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 03:25:27 PM »
Both the Barnes and the Shockwave will be perfect for deer... I get the Mean Green window cleaner at my local Dollar General for a couple of bucks, it works great on 777.
" A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog"

Offline BL Drake

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 11:47:51 AM »
So I finally made it to the range yesterday.  I was shooting 275grn powerbelts pushed by 100grns of 777 pellets.  I was not real impressed with the accuracy but boy did I have fun!

At 25yds first shot was about an inch low,  2nd Shot was 2" right,  3rd shot was about 2" high and 2" right. 

At 100 yds I was hitting right 2" and the three shots were from 2" low and 2"high.

So I have a little bit of work to do.  I was thinking of buying some 225grn powerbelts and see if they agreed with the pellets a little better.  I will also try to find some conicals and give them a shot.  I haven't  found any locally for the .45 so will have to order some.  Any suggestions where?

Oh and the clean up was pretty easy.  The mix of cleaner and alcohol worked great. 

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 01:07:11 PM »
I wouldnt push the 225s with the 2 pellets. Maybe if you can pick up some 30gr pellets and use One 50 and One 30. that would be much better. I dont expect you to get the best accuracy with the pellets but like you said, its a start on learning.

2" @ 100 isnt anything to fuss about, thats still really good. 

Did you swab between shots? If so, dont swab between shots on your next outing. I tried it with powerbelts and they just do not like it at all!

if crud ring is there, its time to make the switch to loose powder, Pyrodex P is excellent.

Offline BL Drake

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 05:15:04 PM »
I will see if I can find a box of 30gr. pellets for a .45.

I didn't swab between shots and actually found that on the eighth shot the load did not leave the barrel.  Thought I had a bad primer and loaded another one and the same thing happened.  I pulled the breech plug and found the bullet and one unburned pellet was 3/4 the way up the barrel.  I pushed out the load, cleaned the breech plug and decided I better clean the gun.  I am going to try and get out again this weekend and see how things go.

I was hoping to get through this season with pellets as my time to work up a load is limited.  My wife and I have off set schedules and with three kids free time is at a premium.  My 6 year old had a blast at the range he can't wait to go again.  Anyways I figured that over the course of the summer I could find what it really likes and work up a load.   

Offline BL Drake

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 05:40:49 PM »
Well made it out to the range today and wow what a difference.  Started with 80grns with the 225grn powerbelts.  Was shooting through the same hole on two shots and the third was less than an inch off at 25yds. 

The 275 grn powerbelts were very comparable but weren't quite as tight as the 225grn.

I bought some maxi balls and couldn't even put them on the paper at 25yds.  I don't know what was going on with them so if anyone is interested they are for sale.  ;D

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 05:12:21 AM »
lol maxiballs didnt shoot for chit in the 45 i had until i started using the felt bore buttons. Pick up a package and again, 80grs powder will work fine. I couldn't get them to shoot tight with anything over 80gr.

Offline BL Drake

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 05:28:25 PM »
I will have to give that a try.  I absolutely love the powerbelts however, so if I get bored someday and have the urge I will shoot them up at range but probably wont ever use them for hunting. 

I bent the ramrod at the range on Sunday.  Cheap piece of junk.  >:(  I sent an email off to CVA about a replacement and am currently awaiting a response.  Any suggestions there?  Are the other ones CVA offers much better?  I do believe that I am going to make this baby my backup for regular rifle season.  I don't know if I can wait till mid Dec. to try and take a deer with it. 

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 04:24:21 AM »
yeah cva will replace it.  A tc power rod or the $13 flexy plastic universal cut to size ramrod works great. I have that one on my traditions kentucky.

Offline moto357

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 01:06:49 PM »
Try the bullshop for conicles.  He's got some big ones but I would imagine the 420gr .451 he offers would suit the 1-28 twist better.  Reasonable prices too