Author Topic: INFO NEEDED PART II  (Read 822 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
INFO NEEDED PART II
« on: October 31, 2008, 01:56:52 PM »
Now for some dumb questions.
I wish too determine what I have--trapper, ranger, ect.
Measuring from the front of the barrel too the reciever is 20 inches.
From the butt too the trigger is 13 1/2 inches.
Over all is 38 inches.
It is a round barrel.
I don't think it is a Ranger---butttt ??
It may make a difference in the peep sight I choose---for instance the Williams sight makes a statement that one of their peep sights is for a Ranger with a dove tail front sight and mine does have a dove tailed front sight.Well at least the raised portion with the dot is dove tailed.
There is no use going too the Winchester site as they give no info anymore.
I really am a bit confused.
Not that I have chosen a fire sight from williams but I have heard of other front sights. Whish is a great question---a suggestion for a front sight.
I have gone back pretty far in the archives and cannot find a discussion on this.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Re: INFO NEEDED PART II
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 07:51:49 PM »
Is  the front sight blade (bead) dove tailed into a ramp or directly into the barrel.  I think that is the difference.  I have a M94 built about 1968; I have a ramp and the sight blade is dove tailed into the ramp.

The ranger was an economy gun and I don't think it had the ramp, probably a birch instead of "walnut" stock. My stock is walnut sapwood and almost as light as a birch stock.

My 1972 Shooter's Bible does not list a Ranger model for that year. Dang, hadn't looked there in years - to think a M94 only listed for $109.95 then and the M 70 for $175 to $360!!

Hope this helps.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 03:10:12 AM »
Thanks Dand--that was exactly the information requested.
I knew that was not a Ranger that i had purchased but was just unsure enough too want it confirmed by one who was a lot more informed than I.
How difficult is it going too be to remove the front bead--if I need/want too?
How difficult is it going too be too remove the rear open sight?
This is a question of--without doing damage and degree of difficulty in removing it/them period.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 03:07:26 AM »
Williams sells a FireSight set, with both a peep and the proper height fibre-optic front blade, for your rifle.  The Williams peep set, with target knobs is  FP-94/36 - T, w/o the knobs is item # 63331, FP-94/36

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/image33.htm

Don't forget to also order a slot filler blank (they are universal size), for the old rear sight dovetail - which you are vacating.

Both front and rear (old) sights come out by tapping them out towards the right (as you look down the barrel) - use a non-marring drift, like the brass hinge pin fron an interior door's hinge set.

Don't tap the front sight in/out, without first supporting the ramp from the hammer blows by resting it firmly on a square-shouldered block - upon pain of shearing off the ramp screws.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 01:40:20 PM »
Thanks Rangr
Good info.
Any other suggestions for the front sight besides the Williams fiber optics?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Rangr44

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 03:11:44 PM »
Pay your money, and take your choice - all replacement front sight blades are approx the same cost, whether they be a F.O. (FireSight, Tru-Gl0, Hi-Viz, etc) in a large or small bead size; an Ivory bead (Lyman, Marbles, Williams, etc) in 1/16" or 3/32"; or a Gold bead (Lyman, Marbles, Williams, etc) in 1/16" or 3/32".

These type sights are generally useful for hunting, and the faster shooting required.

The F.O,'s are very visible for those with poor eyesight and/or those hunting in those pre-dawn & pre-dusk times, and in dark/shaded areas like swamps. They have a tendency to glare in direct/bright sunlight.

GB's are good, but not readily visible under all hunting conditions - and are best if flat-faced or with a flat, angled face - ala sourdough patridge style.

IB's show well in most conditions, unless the shot is a long one over a snow (white) background.

If the front sight selection is for the more deliberate target shooting, ILO hunting, a plain black square post or small bead works best for small groups.

Both MidwayUSA & Brownells offer a nice selection of most all the above front sights.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 11:53:31 AM »
Rangr
Good post.
Do you have any/much concern with fibeoptics on this rifle--durability speaking?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline navylawdog

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 02:39:44 PM »
So did they make the trapper model with a 20" barrel? I thought the trapper model had a 16" barrel? Maybe this question asked by Mr. Layton would help me figure out what the heck mine is as well because I too haven't been able to figure it out.

Navylawdog

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 07:32:04 PM »
It is not a Trapper or a Ranger.
See Info needed--the first question.
I know this is confusing---it is for me.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Rangr44

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 01:46:13 PM »
[So did they make the trapper model with a 20" barrel?] - Nope.  Modern Winchester Trappers are all 16"; 1894-1934's weren't called "Trappers" by anyone except collecters, and had barrels as short as 12"

[Do you have any/much concern with fibeoptics on this rifle--durability speaking?] - No - But then, I also don't try to beat game into submission with my rifles, and try not to fall w/them or drop them, lean them against vehicles, etc, etc, either.

FYI - Generally, modern Winchester Model 94's fall into a couple of different catagories:
Carbine - 20" round bbl, full-length mag, straight-grip walnut or Laminated stock
SaddleRingCarbine - A Carbine w/saddle ring on left receiver wall
Trapper - 16" round bbl, full-length mag, straight-grip walnut stock
Rifle - 24" round bbl, 2/3 length mag, pistol-gripped walnut or synthetic stock
Ranger - An economy Carbine, w/non-walnut wood stock.

Some commemoratives had differing barrel lengths and/or had octagonal bbls.

There were a few models, with fancy names (like "End of Trail"/"Packer"/"Legacy), made in the last few years (2003-2006) before Winchester discontinued the M-94 that were simply variations on the basic models. Some of these had half-round/half-octagon barrels.