Author Topic: Cast Newbie  (Read 953 times)

Offline chucky52

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
Cast Newbie
« on: November 09, 2008, 05:06:03 PM »
I've shot up all my jacketed bullets and need an accurate round for a 25-20, 32 H&R Mag & .44 Mag and 30-30. All used in NRA silhouette competition. I don't really know the first thing about cast bullets; but, with current pricing if I can gain acceptable accuracy, cast will be my future. Where does one start? Books, links, reference material...

Looking for guidance and Thanks

Chuck

Offline COR

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Cast Newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 03:23:28 AM »
Lymans cast bullet manual is where I started.  That should be the first book any caster or lead bullet shooter buys. Here's a forum that I highly recommend that is dedicated to cast bullets exclusively http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/ .  If you are buying bullets look at www.montanabulletworks.com he has a tips and faq section that may help you too.  I am a firm believer in shooting to become proficient, I just don't know how an ordinary joe can afford it by shooting jacketed. 

Veral Smith has a book too available at his website that I would also recommend highly.  You are in good hands here as there is a wealth of info to learn by just rereading old posts...remember that it is the internet and all info should be considered suspect until you have confirmed it through a variety of sources. Hope this helps a little.

Offline chucky52

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 03:33:18 AM »
Thanks, now at least there is a beginning. Can I expect cast accuracy? All my .22 rounds are lead and they work

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 03:43:22 AM »
Yes there is no reason not to expect excellent accuracy with cast in all the rounds you mention. Back when I shot NRA metallic silhouette matches I used the .32 Mag in a TC with rifle scope for Hunter Pistol regularly. I used my old S&W 29 with 10-5/8" barrel for the iron sight matches.

With bullets I cast in Lyman moulds both were up to the task. I could regularly keep five in 2" with the TC .32 Magnum at 100 yards. The S&W was accurate enough but with the irons I wasn't accurate enough to do that but it sure stayed on the rams easily enough.

I agree the Lyman Cast Bullet manual is a must have for everyone wanting to shoot cast bullets whether you make them yourself or use those someone else makes for you.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 02:22:26 PM »
I also recommend joining the CBA (cast bullet association) and signing up for their email list. You can learn everything you need to know with those folks.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline chucky52

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 02:25:41 PM »
The Lyman site currently list a cast bullet handbook, is this the same as the cast bullet manual?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
Yes I think that should be it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 02:22:38 AM »
personaly i think the lyman book has alot of outdated stuff in it. It does have the basics of how to start casting though. I think if it was my money and i wanted to learn more of the technical aspect of casting id buy verals book. Casting isnt rocket sceince and most of the basic stuff veral skips is stuff your going to figure out on your own the first time you fire up a pot and fill a mold full of lead. Another book that to me is a better way to go about it if you just want the basics is the rcbs castiing book. Its much smaller and just deals with the mechanics of casting a bullet.
blue lives matter

Offline chucky52

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 04:07:54 AM »
My question may have been misleading. I don't have time to make jacketed bullets, barely time to shoot. My intention is to buy probably from Montana Bullet Works. My issue is that I want accuracy so I can be competitive in NRA silhouette. No time for casting and scrounging for material. Thanks for all the guidance.

Offline COR

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 07:18:59 AM »
Marcie and Dave at MBW are great folks to deal with and make a great product.  He'll size to order which becomes very important while searching for a sweet spot for your gun.  Even though I now cast my own I still buy one of Dave's .44 bullets cause I have a gun that just sings with them (and I don't own the mold yet from LBT)  Give the advice of Verals book a try if you only buy one book.  If you have a rough bore, lapping will also help accuracy but I have only used it twice and it helped both times on some bad bores.

Offline blhof

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 10:08:26 AM »
I second Veral's book and consider his bore slugs to get a precise size for your cast bullet, the actual bore size can vary from gun to gun and the right size makes for a more accurate bullet.  The slugs will also tell if you have a rough bore.

Offline chucky52

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 11:09:40 AM »
Veral recommended Montana Bullet Works. At those prices, might as well shoot jacketed.