Author Topic: Supposed record buck in WI---Shot!  (Read 1002 times)

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Supposed record buck in WI---Shot!
« on: November 03, 2008, 08:32:22 AM »
Remember the filmed buck in Buffalo County, Wisconsin that was to fight for the new world record?  It's been harvested by a bowhunter.

Updated: 11/3/2008 11:07:02 AM                                               

Bob Decker of Eau Claire shot this buck, believed to be the animal made famous this fall after a video of it was posted on the Web site of the outdoor magazine Field and Stream, while bow hunting Saturday in Buffalo County. Experts have speculated the animal may challenge the typical buck world record.
 Photo:
http://www.leadertelegram.com/photolargexml.asp?id=BI7RDFHTGD2.jpg

Record Buck? Archer bags notable deer

By Julian Emerson 
Leader-Telegram staff 
It had been a slow morning. Perched in his tree stand for more than three hours, Bob Decker hadn't seen one deer in the Buffalo County woods he hunts south of Mondovi.

Growing restless despite the excitement of knowing a potential world-record buck recently had been sighted roaming the area, Decker thought of checking in with his longtime hunting buddy, Paul Olson, who was hunting these same woods between Modena and Urne Saturday morning.

Then, at 9:30 a.m., Decker heard it, the telltale "snap" of a whitetail stepping on a twig as it walked nearby.

Startled, he looked down from his tree stand and saw a large buck just 40 yards away. Decker eyed the animal's large antlers and immediately decided it was a "shooter buck." A few seconds later, adrenaline surging through his veins, he grabbed his bow and zeroed in on the animal's body.

Thwap! The arrow struck its mark just 6 or 7 yards below Decker. The buck bolted for about 50 yards through the woods, then collapsed. It struggled to its feet after a few seconds, then staggered another 50 yards or so to its death.

"I knew it was a nice deer. I figured I'd shot a good-sized 10-pointer," Decker said.

Decker climbed down from his tree stand and went to meet Olson before going to find his deer. As his friend approached, Olson noticed Decker's hands shaking with excitement.

"I shot a monster, but it wasn't the Field and Stream buck," Decker told Olson, referencing the huge buck that has caused a craze among deer hunters this fall after a video filmed about a half mile from Decker's hunting spot was posted on the Web site of the outdoor magazine.

The video prompted deer experts to speculate that the animal, with its stunningly large 16-point rack, could challenge Milo Hansen's 1993 world-record buck. The much-discussed buck is pictured on the cover of the November edition of the magazine.

Olson and Decker approached the buck, which had died on a bed of grass and leaves and was lying on its side. At first glance, Decker figured the animal was smaller than he had thought. He soon discovered otherwise.

Olson reached the buck first and yelled in disbelief to Decker.

"It's the Field and Stream buck!" Olson shouted to his friend. "This is unbelievable! It's the Field and Stream buck!"

Love of the hunt
Hunting deer is in Decker's blood. He learned to hunt from his father, Gene Decker, as a youngster. He shot his first buck at age 18 and became enamored with the sport, spending hours upon hours learning every detail he could about how to successfully hunt whitetails.

Decker's hunting interest is fueled by the challenge of hunting some of nature's wariest animals and the enjoyment of spending time outdoors.

"Hunting is something I've always loved," he said.

Decker and Olson have shared a lot of good times together tracking deer. The duo has hunted in tandem for 15 years and complement each other well, good-naturedly teasing each other while sharing hunting knowledge. Decker said it's not a coincidence that Olson was in the woods when he shot the deer experts believe is the Field and Stream buck.

"He's every bit the hunter I am and then some because of his attention to detail," Decker said of Olson. "You couldn't find a better hunting partner."

'Absolutely incredible'
Decker is no stranger to bagging big bucks. Six deer heads adorn the basement wall of Decker's rural Eau Claire home, evidence of successful past hunts.

On Sunday Decker smiled as he recounted stories of harvesting those deer. He laughed as he showed visitors a tiny four-point rack from a buck he killed last year during a hunt in Minnesota.

While Decker concedes he invests a lot of time and effort into hunting, he believes luck has everything to do with his impressive large buck haul. Like the buck he took Saturday, those animals were killed in the woods of Buffalo County, considered a deer-hunting mecca that attracts hunting enthusiasts from around the U.S.

Decker wasn't the only one marveling at his good fortune. Visitors flocked to his home Saturday night and Sunday to catch a glimpse of the magestic whitetail made famous by Field and Stream. Utterances like "awesome" and "incredible" were commonplace. One man kissed the buck's antlers in appreciation.

A Sunday afternoon visit to Jack Dodge's Elk Lake taxidermy shop prompted similar responses from a group of stunned onlookers.

"My God, look at the antlers on this thing," said Dodge, who has shot numerous trophy animals himself. "It's absolutely incredible. You're not going to see another buck like this for a long time."

In between phone calls from well-wishers Sunday night, Decker humbly reflected on his good fortune.

"I'm not a better hunter after shooting this buck than I was before," he said. "I'm just a very lucky person."

http://www.leadertelegram.com/story-news.asp?id=BI7SBNBOGF1

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Supposed record buck in WI---Shot!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 12:00:26 PM »
The world record is in absolutely no danger from that buck. In fact it is highly unlikely it will even be scored as a typical as it just has way too much stuff on it to detract from the P&Y and B&C score as a typical. It will no doubt make both books as a nontypical but again the nontypical world record is in no danger at all from it. It won't even be in the top ten all time.

People who claim the world record is in danger from that buck just do not understand how to score white tail deer racks.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 12:22:28 PM »
With the photo in place now let's talk about the rack.

I'll begin with the side of the rack on our right the bucks left side.

It is a basic five point side. The two points that jut out to the side toward the hunter just above his hand are nontypical points thus they do not add but rather deduct from the typical score if you want to score it as a typical. The long G3 is forked again a deduct in scoring it as a typical.

Now move to the other side the bucks right side our left side.

It is kinda out of focus and hard to say for sure but it too appears to be a basic five point side with several odd points that deduct from the typical score. I see what appear to be either two stickers or another forked tine at the G3 location.

The brow tines are quite short really for a buck with such tall tines.

Let's give him 12" for brows, G2s are long but one is bent so I can't say how well they match but lets be generous and give him 28" and call them both 14" long which I suspect is longer than they are. The G3s are long and likely are for real 14" and so let's give him another 28" there. The right G4 looks longer than the left and you only get credit for the shorter so let's give him 16" for the pair. It's a wide rack so let's give him 24" for that which is likely close. The beams are long so again let's be generous and call them 24" also and so he gets 48" there.

Adding all that up shows a gross of 140. Ya gotta add some more for mass but how much that is always the tough call when you don't have the rack and a tape in hand. I'm gonna be really generous and give him 30" more for a total gross of about 170". That's his MAXIMUM typical score he could have and that's gross NOT net. For a net you'd have to deduct all those others and he'd end up not even making P&Y minimum of 125 as a typical so you have no choice but to call him what he is a nontypical and start adding all that extra points and tine length.

I think he has about 30" to 35" of nontypical to add to the net of 170" so let's call him a 200" to 205" nontypical. It takes 195 just to make B&C tho much less for P&Y since he was taken with a bow. Still he makes book in both but only as a nontypical and only barely makes it at that.

I see no chance of him going much higher than I have predicted and will state kinda like written in stone he won't go over 215" net nontypical P&Y. He do good to net 110" as a typical.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 12:27:29 PM »
Symmetry is where the Hanson buck, and even more so the Jordan buck, really score high.

I pointed out the stickers, extraa points, and assymetrical nature to my daughters this AM as soon as we saw the picture on the front page of the paper.  They didn't care, of course, just liked the photo.  We got to talk about what our reactions would be to that buck below our treestand   :o
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14