Author Topic: info on about H&R 12GA. rifled heavy barele single shot (sb 2980)  (Read 836 times)

Offline czar

• Trade Count: (0)
I am looking to purchase H&R single shot 12GA. heavy barle rifled shot gun what info can you give me on this gun ( Ultra Slug Hunter SB 2980 24" )

THANK YOU
CZAR
No one man is smarter than ten that is why i am here
Rem.30-06 7400
Rem. 12GA Express Deer
Rem. 22 mod 514
Mos.12GA 500 Deer
T/C Scout 50 Cal.
N.E.F. Sidekick 50 cal

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
Re: info on about H&R 12GA. rifled heavy barele single shot (sb 2980)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 10:12:39 AM »
1.) Heavy 2.) Accurate

Would not recommend it for tree stand use.
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline czar

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 04:34:15 PM »
When you say you would not use it in a tree stand are you telling me that it would knock me out of the stand . I would like to believe that with the weight factor it would have less than a kick than my rem 12 GA express i shot it out of a tree stand with no problems but i am sitting down .heavy will not bother me .accurate is good . Also what brand of shells and length are you using .
THANK YOU
CZAR
Rem.30-06 7400
Rem. 12GA Express Deer
Rem. 22 mod 514
Mos.12GA 500 Deer
T/C Scout 50 Cal.
N.E.F. Sidekick 50 cal

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 10:01:58 PM »
 You may also check into the USH 20. They are very accurate and more poplular than the ush 12 I believe.

Heck buy both ;)

Lonny

Offline jmabrey

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 01:27:36 PM »
I have the thumbhole model, 12 ga. I personally see no disadvantage with using it in a treestand. Short and easy to turn and maneuver.

As for accuracy, I'm not sure you'll like it.

I shot 5 Hornady SST's into the heart of a silhouette deer target at 100 yards. Actually half the heart space.

I switched scopes(previously sighted in with Lightfields and took out the rest of the heart area with 3 shots. This was using a Shooters Ridge Steady Point Rifle Shooting Rest. Bench rest and using the shooting techniques found on the Lightfield web page.

I had previously shot a 3 shot cloverleaf group using Quik-Shok Sabot Slugs. could not get them to group at 100 yards but 50 to 75 they were very good.

You should clean it periodically and let it cool between shots.
The thumbhole laminated stock is really nice.
My goal was to have 2 scopes with QD rings so I could use sst's in more open areas with less population-ie: my cousin's farm in Delaware or deeper woods areas. And also have short range slugs that don't ricochet like the SST's, thus the Lightfields, quik-shock and soon to be tested recently made/ hand loaded Lyman 525 gr. sabots(made 15 today)

I personally love to shoot this thing thus the move to cheaper handloads.

If you really don't want one of these the I would suggest that you 1. do not look at one, 2. do not touch it or handle it and lastly 3. don't shoot one.

Seriously it is a fun and accurate gun to shoot. quick-shoks are almost as cheap as reloads and in my gun are good for moderate ranges.

Offline czar

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 08:14:59 AM »
Well I did go over to the  locall gun shop and  held one in my hand it snaped to my shoulder real fast .I really did not like the pistol grip seems fat and i have big hand ,s . Does the thumb hole give more room or should i say more comfortable feel to the hand. I can get a basic mod. for 212.$ out the door I will have to check if if i can get a thumb hole stock in plain wood that is if it fits good .
I have not herd bad things about this fine piece of hunting machine .you are not the only that has told me that the SST shots well in her
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT
CZAR
Rem.30-06 7400
Rem. 12GA Express Deer
Rem. 22 mod 514
Mos.12GA 500 Deer
T/C Scout 50 Cal.
N.E.F. Sidekick 50 cal

Offline jmabrey

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 10:53:59 PM »
Your hand size will bring up another problem, shooting with glove/mittens in cold weather. I noticed that I had to squeeze my hand(on the lower end of large) into the hole when wearing mittens this past week while deer hunting. I didn't see any deer so I haven't had to shoot like that. makes for a slight reach for the trigger. with light gloves or bare handed no problem. Feel is important also, so you might want to consider the HR in 20 ga. with regular stock. lots of people have raved about lighter recoil, accuracy, lighter weight.

I did get to shoot my lyman sabot hand loads yesterday. Put my Mueller 2x7  scope on and shot 1" higher than Lightfields. shot at 2 orange dots on paper someone had left-hit both at 25 yards. Moved to 50 yards-3 shots touching-shot about 15 more  into a variety of targets--kind that show shot hit. Moved to 100 yards had 3 shot-2 1/2 inch group and then shots went 6" right, 6 " low(4 shots), low left-then I realized that I had started shooting the most recent loads first at 25 and 50 yards and now was shooting my first loads--reverse order of production.

when I first started I did not make as firm of a crimp, and some of them had started showing small bulging out. I also had just pushed the wad and slug in by hand (as directed) in the beginning and later used the press to push them in until they touched the powder.
That along with having already shot 32 slugs out of the HR and 10 shots with my tc encore ml left me a little unfocused. I switched my scope back to the SST scope and shot 3 shots into the 3" orange circle at 100 yards with the SST's. I'll use that combination Saturday in Maryland's opening day.

I later called Lyman and talked with one of their people who reloads slugs and he said everything I did was right except putting the wads and slug in. He told me a better way is to put the wad in the hull and push it in with about 30 lbs. of pressure then put the slug in and push by hand until seated--then crimp. The powder needs to be compressed and doing this also adds consistency to the whole process.

Anyway good luck with your decision.

Offline czar

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 07:33:52 AM »
Thanks JMABREY you have been a great help to me on my decision I will have to find a thumb hole mod.and try her out it is rare that i shot with gloves on but when i still hunt i were a ruber coated glove a guy at the shop gave me a pair his brother gave him and i will tell you that the gun sticks to my hand s like glue just one problem hands get cold so i put hand warmers on the out side of my hands that helps.I am a bow hunter by hart so i bought a smoke pole for my first gun .I really like the one shot one kill thinking. cant wate untill i get the gun but i am thinking about dumping the 30-06 7400 rem to buy this H&R.I only have ten dollars into it won it in a raffle really dont use it .
Thanks
CZAR
Rem.30-06 7400
Rem. 12GA Express Deer
Rem. 22 mod 514
Mos.12GA 500 Deer
T/C Scout 50 Cal.
N.E.F. Sidekick 50 cal