Author Topic: Kirst Konversion 1860 Colt  (Read 992 times)

Offline Hickok

• Trade Count: (0)
Kirst Konversion 1860 Colt
« on: November 27, 2008, 02:45:10 PM »
Undoubtably this has been covered before, but I am thinking about getting a Kirst Cartridge Konversion (with the loading gate) for my Pietta 1860 .44 Colt. I intend to shoot .45 Schofield loads.

How much higher does the 230 gr. bullet from the Schofield cartridge shoot as compared to the round ball load of the cap and ball cylinder? I have put a higher brass blade on my .44 in order to zero dead on @ 25 yds with the round ball load. Are their any gunsmiths who I could send the barrel to in order to have a nice blade dovetailed in for a front sight?

Any comments on the Kirst Konversion and thoughts on this project would be appreciated. I intend to port the frame myself.
Montani Semper Liberi  ><>

Offline Flint

Re: Kirst Konversion 1860 Colt
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 10:01:11 AM »
I use 200 gr bullets, which is closer to the roundball weight, and shorter, so the slow rifling will stabilize it better. 

Dick Dastardly sells even lighter black powder lubed bullets (or, at least, the bullet molds) that are, I believe, 150 gr with very large lube grooves, if you intend to use black powder.  The lighter the bullet the closer to your round ball adjusted sight it will shoot, and for CAS it is certainly close enough.

http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.aspx?ItemID=d3fb4508-70e1-4d9b-87bd-6d9c2d504d33

He also sells the Kirst Konverter, and has a Rem 58 test of the bullets loaded in Schofield cases posted elsewhere on the internet.

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/1858_remington_big_lube_bullet_torture_test.pdf

Kirst cylinders are very well made, much better made than the revolver you will put it in, actually.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Hickok

Re: Kirst Konversion 1860 Colt
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 01:23:43 PM »
Flint you bring up a point I had not considered, that of the twist of rifling in these cap and ball barrels. Wanting to shoot basically a .45 Schofield round with a 230 gr. bullet, the rifling twist might not be fast enough to stabilize this slug.

Any one have any answers?
Montani Semper Liberi  ><>