Author Topic: Simple M1A questions?  (Read 486 times)

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
Simple M1A questions?
« on: November 20, 2008, 04:28:08 AM »
Dear Guys,

I have a few simple questions about the M1A.

On the models that are sold now, there is a flash surpressor on the end of the barrel (Or, am I wrong? Is this some kind of a muzzle brake?)

Do you really need to have one of these on the end of the barrel?   It appears to make the rifle about 2 inches longer than necessary, and to make a heavy rifle even heavier??.  What is wrong with having a normal muzzle with a standard crown?  Wouldn't this be a quicker and more handy rifle??

When the M1As are advertised as having a specific barrel length, for example 18.5 inches, is that the true length of the barrel itself, or are they including within that 18.5 measurement the length of the muzzle attachment?  (If the attachment is included, then wouldn't you only really be getting a 16.5 inch barrel?)

My thoughts are that an M1A, with a true 20 inch barrel, and no muzzle attachments, would be the best of all worlds.   I have fired, rapid fire, a semi-auto Lightweight Browning Autoloading Rifle, with a 20 inch barrel, in .308 Winchester, and I sure didn't notice any big problems with a muzzle flash or uncontrollable muzzle jump.   

Thanks for any answers and practical points.

Mannyrock

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Simple M1A questions?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 12:19:55 PM »
http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=41
This one will give you a 20" give or take if you unscrew the flash suppressor. They are usually for night fire. Supposed to allow the powder time to burn out and cool so a flash isn't telegraphed back to the shooter. The tracers do a pretty good job of that though. I don't know, been fired on by AKs, Drogunovs, FN Fals and RPKs at night, I could see a star pattern on all of them from the muzzle blast. They don't work well. The m4 with a can doesn't leave a spark though.
 For reduction in felt recoil generally the opening where the bullet comes out is slightly larger than the bullet. This is a muzzle brake (or compensator). It creates back pressure and forces gas out the sides. Where as a flash suppressor just lets the gas leak out the sides and does not slow it's froward momentum. Any gas able to leak out the side is going to reduce recoil slightly, but a brake is needed to do it enough to be able to feel a difference. Springfield used to have a scout model with 16" barrel and brake to reduce recoil, 18" over all.
Hope this helps, couldn't really figure out how to answer this one since I find flash suppressor to be an oxymoron, it really makes it easier to see a person shooting.
Molon labe

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 12:38:52 PM »
 What buggy said ... and no the flash supressor isnt a muzzle break in the classic term but it is a gas delayed blowback system so the recoil is already more subtle then if you were firing say a 308 bolt action , which to my 300 mag loving butt is mild anyways..
 Changing the flash hider out wouldnt be any trouble I wouldnt imagine .. and more times then not the listed barrel length is the true barrel length plus the muzzle break/flash supressor for the total over all length they state in the listing

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 07:15:11 AM »
Thanks very much guys.

Great answers.

For me, low weight would be the holy grail, so in looking at an M1A, I would be searching for way to lighten it.

So far, . . .lose the flash supressor.

Get the lightest stock possible.  (Some say it is the standard G.I. fiberglass.  Others say that the $600 carbon stocks are lighter.)

Lose the metal butt plate.  (Replaced this with a plastic one.)

Ten round mag.

Light weight barrel?    It seems as if in advertising M1As, Springfield and others offer a "light weight" barrel, but then in the fine print they say that this just means a "Standard G.I Barrel."    I wonder, though, if somebody makes a true light weight barrel, signficantly lighter than the Standard G.I. Barrel?  Can't find one advertised anywhere, but you would think that SOMEBODY would make one.  If you have ever heard of one, please let me know.

On paper, it looks as if the new FN semi-auto military rifle is about 1 pound lighter than an M1A.  But, I hate a pistol grip stock, and it doesn't look as if anyone makes a standard sporting stock for this new rifle.  I wonder if a standard stock for a regular BAR sporting rifle would fit the new FN rifle?  (The new FN is based off of the BAR receiver.)  I sent FN an e-mail asking this question, but of course, no answer.

Also, the new FN rifle costs about $800 more than an M1A. (Gasp)

Thanks, Mannyrock