Author Topic: high powerd rounds  (Read 911 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
high powerd rounds
« on: October 17, 2008, 11:42:37 AM »
have you ever used  federal high energy or hornady light/heavy mag rounds and how did they work for you?
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: high powerd rounds
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 12:27:42 PM »
Yes,
They worked fine.  Same result - Dead deer.  Went back to the standard ammo, it is easier to find in stores and usually cheaper.
100 to 150 FPS is not going to make a differance on game.  All it will do is change your bullet drop by an inch or so out to 300 yards.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 09:36:24 AM »
what are these rounds for?  I know they say larger game and longer shots but what are they for? In 270win at least on paper it has the same as 30/06 ammo and 338win has the same power as 375H&H mag.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 09:55:14 AM »
what are these rounds for?
To sell more ammunition at a higher price. 

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 06:12:01 AM »
The advances in powder and bullet technology have made it so that the ols rounds can be loaded faster to the same pressure levels and an 06 will have the speed of a 300 Win Mag.  It was an idea to sell more ammo for big game.  It also gave you the ability with a 30-06 or 308 to go elk hunting with your rifle and not not have to get a new rifle for the open areas.
Col. Cooper was a big fan of this idea and liked the idea of making the 30-06 go faster with heavier bullets than comming up with new cartridges like the whole Winchester Short Mag line. that douplicates or slightly exceeds current cartridges in short or standard actions.
What I never could understand is how he had a position at G&A magizine when the idea of the Mag was to promote the shooting sports and development of new firearms and ammo and Cooper only liked four or five rounds.  heck he hated the .40 that came out of the 10MM he helped to develope and douplicates the 45 that he really loved.
If you only have a 30-06 then buy standard shells and shoot it a lot to get etter with it over distance.  The 06 able hunt everything in this country.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 10:21:58 AM »
thanks.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 12:11:41 PM »
It's the ONLY ammo I use in our 7-08 rifles. It is more accurate than anything else I've found and has a bit more velocity as well not that it's really that needed but it pushes the 7-08 up to be equal to the .280 Remington in velocity. I've really come to appreciate the accuracy of the Light Mag loads from Hornady and the fact they offer another 100 fps or so sure doesn't hurt but isn't a deal maker either.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 07:10:46 AM »
If you really think their is not dif. and 100-150fps  doesn't matter
have some one load your rifle and put in just one of the light mags
fire all the rounds,you will know when the light mag goes off, good
ammo and i can't say it is all that more expensive, for the dif.
I didn't know i needed some thing bigger than 06 for elk, hope
none of the elk find out, of course i don't shoot over about 350yd
at anything and the 06 will handle elk that far.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline buckfever 1

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 04:41:44 AM »
Just as a bit of information from my experience reloading.  When I started reloading I sought velocity and pushed loads to the limit listed in the reloading books.  I found that the loads that were 2-3 grains back from the Max. in most cases were more accurate.  The difference on game was nothing.  The less velocity loads produced great entry and always great exit holes.  The internal damage was no different than the highspeed loads.  A dead deer or elk is just that and if you can shoot sub-moa you greatly increase your chances of making that 200-300 yard shot.  I know it is fun to get on the fast train but it is highly overrated.   Buckfever