Author Topic: new here , saying hi and posting a pic of my 410 slug gun  (Read 934 times)

Offline matthew_h

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
new here , saying hi and posting a pic of my 410 slug gun
« on: October 22, 2008, 07:24:06 AM »
i just now signed up , but have been looking around these great forums a while now .did a bit of research about sights and jb welded some cva muzzle loader sights to my .410 . plan to use it for close range deer at around 35 yards . will also be using it on squirrels and such so i left the choke on for now(and becasue i have like 150 shot shells ) , if it dose not shoot slugs well with the choke i may cut a inch or two from the barrel .i have not had a chance to shoot it yet  i still need to get some slugs . also what is the best way to mount a slig to it and best site to get some cheap sling studs from ? i already have the sling and swivels .

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: new here , saying hi and posting a pic of my 410 slug gun
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 01:43:56 PM »
Nice gun and nice P-Bass! My daughters .410 shoots 3" Brenneke slugs the best.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 09:15:33 AM »
I was just going to suggest you try the 2 7/8" Brenneke slugs.
 The 410 is not much on horsepower, but should at least equal the 357 mag at the ranges your suggesting. We all know the 357 works OK on deer. Your good to keep the ranges short, think of it was a archery hunt with a gun.

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline matthew_h

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 01:25:19 PM »
thanks for the recomendation of slugs guys , i will have to try some of them out . i have a 20 inch smooth bore mavrick 88 i intend to use up to about 50 yards . i am takeing a break from my muzzle loader this year , but will most likely get it out for the muzzle loader late season .

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 03:45:55 AM »
i know 2 fellas that use the 410  slug to take deer every year here in ohio, and have been for a longtime ,

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 05:47:44 AM »
A few years ago I picked up some sling studs at Wal-Mart on clearance.  You might take a look there.  My stock already had the holes drilled for them, otherwise I would have just measured the location from another Handi stock.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 04:17:43 AM »
I always wanted a 410 for a slug gun when I was a kid, but they were and are not allowed in my state.  As far as them being compared to a 357 mag, I believe that the 410 slug produces 300-400fpe at best where the average 357 load will get you 500-600fpe wont it? 

An absolutely well placed shot is the key on either.  I lost a 160 class buck with my 357 handgun 3 years ago with a shoulder hit with a hot loaded bullet that was too light to reliably penetrate.

Lazer
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford