Author Topic: Lube/GC qestion  (Read 712 times)

Offline ftlupton

• Trade Count: (0)
Lube/GC qestion
« on: November 09, 2008, 05:20:28 AM »
Newbie here! Casting Lee .45 auto(200 gr SWC) and 30-30 Lee 150gr with gas check style. Question is how does the Lee sizer/lubricator that uses my present loader, work? Like the idea of seating the gas check and lubing without the expense of buying the other setup. I am only going to do .357, .45 and the 30-30. I pretty much use Unique and H335 but am open to ideas. I have lots of lead and access to more. Want to get a Mulie with the 30-30 and cast bullets I made.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Re: Lube/GC qestion
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 02:14:59 PM »
The Lee sizers do a fine job, but you'll need to read the instructions.I've got one in .309, .358 and .429, but I don't use the .429 anymore, as I ended up buying an RCBS LAM II, and size most of my pistol and revolver bullets with it.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 05:10:33 PM »
I agree with Tom W. on reading the instructions. They are very easy to use though. Just screw the sizer in you press, put the container on top, fit the bullet seat/driver thing on (don't remember the exact name of it right now), and get after it. They do a decent job and the price is right. I have them for about 5 different sizes and like them just fine.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 10:55:44 AM »
I use both the Lee and the RCBS/Lyman.

If you're sizing more than several thousandths the Lee will leave a small skirt of lead alloy trailing the bullet - which the RCBS will square up.

I like the idea of sizing in the same direction as the bullet will go.

Further, if you need a custom size it's easy to bore/taper/polish in a lathe and easy to build a custom pusher.  Did that for .378 - .379 diameters for .375 Win and .375 H&H.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Chris Potts

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 11:48:20 AM »
With the lee dies you can coat bullets with lapping compound and run them through to open the die a couple of thousandths.  Doesn't really require any equipment.  Wouldn't work for more than a couple of thousandths but it save the expense and trouble of special ordering the larger dies that they don't make normal runs of.

Chris