Author Topic: Casting and toxic lead fumes  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Humbo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Casting and toxic lead fumes
« on: December 10, 2008, 08:34:26 AM »
Hello everyone.
I'm having a big discussion on a local forum about casting and the toxic fumes hot lead emits. I've read on several forums that lead starts to fume at about 900 degrees F, which is higher than normal casting temps. Everyone in my community seem to think that lead starts to emit toxic fumes the second it goes liquid, and there is a great need for proper ventilation because of this. I have been casting for two decades, and never go over 700 F.

Anyone have any insights or facts on this?

Thanks!

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Re: Casting and toxic lead fumes
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 09:52:10 AM »
While it may stink, and ventilation is needed IIRC it's gotta be REALLY hot to emit particles, like boiling hot...or at least red hot... However, don't quote me on this.....
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 12:36:47 AM »
lead may not give off vapors until over 900 degrees but the contaminants in the lead and the flux you use will so you stil need proper ventilation when you cast. What you need to  be careful with is smelting batches of ww in a turkey fryer or any gas burner where the temp isnt controled. there you will get lead vapors.
blue lives matter

Offline Humbo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 01:04:53 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 05:23:24 PM »
WW's are also hardened with arsenic, which can be released at normal melting temps as well as other contaminates.  A neighbor of mine several years ago was making fishing wts commercially with ww's and recovered bullets from a millitary range.  He tested positive for lead, even though he was casting outside.  He was using a turkey fryer and a large iron pot that he heated til the lead glowed, no thermometer.  I've been casting for 30 years and after my neighbor's test, I was tested and was negative.  I only heat enough to melt the lead and always well ventillated, also wash your hands well after handling lead.  My neighbor would eat a sandwich while casting in the yard, so he had several possible sources of contamination.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 01:37:11 AM »
ive got the same bad habbits and have been treated for high lead levels 3 times. But i blame myself and my sloppy house cleaning for it.
WW's are also hardened with arsenic, which can be released at normal melting temps as well as other contaminates.  A neighbor of mine several years ago was making fishing wts commercially with ww's and recovered bullets from a millitary range.  He tested positive for lead, even though he was casting outside.  He was using a turkey fryer and a large iron pot that he heated til the lead glowed, no thermometer.  I've been casting for 30 years and after my neighbor's test, I was tested and was negative.  I only heat enough to melt the lead and always well ventillated, also wash your hands well after handling lead.  My neighbor would eat a sandwich while casting in the yard, so he had several possible sources of contamination.
blue lives matter

Offline melchior

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 10:05:17 PM »
I worked in electronics for thirty years, soldering with 63/37 solder, both in wire form and in dip pots, all indoors and never tested positve for lead in the blood. I asked about this from the industrial health people and was told that lead begins to vaporize at 800° F. If you keep the temps below that level there isn't much chance of inhaling vapors. BUT,the big hazard seems to be ingesting particulate lead from hand to mouth. Don't eat, drink, or smoke while working, and wash your hands and face before you eat, drink, or smoke.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 01:18:58 AM »
Been casting a long time and never tested pos. I think the greater danger lies in getting it in your mouth after handling lead.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 06:48:56 AM »
Been in electronics and in bullet casting for 45 years.  Had my blood tested last year - VERY low concentration (i.e.: normal or expected value).

Keep the ventilation going, keep your hands clean.  That will do it.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)