Author Topic: SB1 vs SB2 - old W&H's vs newer H&R's  (Read 294 times)

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
SB1 vs SB2 - old W&H's vs newer H&R's
« on: November 18, 2008, 11:34:41 AM »
Just thought I'd add a little info on things mentioned a few weeks ago on another thread regarding old frames and their relative strength or structure.  I took my W&H Buffalo Classic stock off to look at the frame today.  It is skeletonized with hollow cavities similar to the SB2 frames of H&R.  However, when viewing the front (sorry, I didn't take any photos but will use Tim's from the FAQ area...hope you don't mind Tim) the frame seems to be made of two metals.  One being the outer frame wall and then another that seems to be filled in.  Maybe these are just casting marks...??...but it sure looks like two different metals.  This is the way it looks to be in Tim's photos of the older SB2 frame (second from the right of the frontal view, a '96 SB2 Ultra)  The newer SB2 frames seem to have a similar structure but there appears to be an additional support spanning horizontally across the frame and one running vertically from bottom to the middle support as shown in the photo of a new SB2 frame front but again, these might be just casting marks? (photo taken by RT8...thanks RT8) 

I just thought I'd add a little info to those of us who wonder about the evolution of such frames and their relative strengths etc.