Author Topic: favoeite field dressing knife  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Brushhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
favoeite field dressing knife
« on: August 01, 2003, 03:47:39 AM »
Hi All--

Every year I go to Maine to hunt whitetails.  This year, I'm taking a buddy with me, an experienced upland bird and duck hunter.  He's starting to ask me questions about equipment, and like every other hunter I have plenty of personal opinions to tell him.  Yesterday, he told me he doesn't own a "real" hunting knife and asked me what to buy.  I'm not a great one to ask, since I've been using the same laminated handle ka-bar since I got it for my birthday when I was 14--that's a lotta years, trust me!

Anyway, I thought I would post the question here--I visit the stores and read the catalogs like everyne else, and I know there have been some real advances in knife design.  So, for field dressing a white tail, what would you recommend for my friend? Brand name, length, model name / number would be very helpful. What are you all using now, and would you reccomend it? This ought to provoke some discussion!  :lol:

Thanks!

Offline 01magnatec

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 03:54:00 AM »
just tell him to go and buy a BUCK knife.  Buck knives are mainly about the same size because they are meant for gutting and skinning.
Make sure no matter what knife he gets, not to oversharpen.  I made this mistake with a knife last year and there are gouges in it that probobly can't be taken out.

Offline Lee D.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 04:10:06 AM »
Buck makes knives with blades from about 1.125 long to about 8".  Not all are good for field work.
  I use a folder with a 3.75" blade preferably a "drop point" for deer, bear and small game.  Sometimes it is little too short but not enough to be a problem.  A too long blade I find harder to do good work with.  Also as regards sharpening, a good working edge is not neccessarily a shaving razor edge.  That dulls to quickly.  I don't know how to sharpen a knife correctly I just do it and it works.
  This is one of the topics where 100 people are going to give you 99 opinions. (the 2 that agree are because one learned from the other yesterday.)
somewhere betwixt a baulk and a breakdown

Offline WyoHunter

• Make each hunt an experience you'll never forget!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 07:09:29 AM »
A 3 - 4 inch knife should handle all your needs especially for deer, antelope, sheep and the like. Taking out the backstraps on an elk or moose you could probably use a little more length but I haven't found it necessary. Buy a Gerber, Kershaw or Buck in that order and you'll be in business. I carry my fixed blade 3.25" fixed blade knife in my fanny pack. It's a carbon steel blade that's skinned and gutted and quartered over 75 game animals in the past 30 years. Always touch up your knife when you're done with it. It's a lot easier to bring up the edge than if you let it get very dull. Keep it sharp and pointed away from you! :-)
Make each hunt an experience to remember!

NRA Life Member

Offline Rummer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 07:07:08 PM »
I use a Kershaw "Outlaw Bill".  It is a folder with a blade that is 4-5" (I can't remember exactly.)  This blade has a drop point and is sturdy enough to split the breast bone on a whitetail, although I do prefer to use a sagen hunter's field saw for that task.

Offline Kragman71

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2003, 07:45:01 PM »
A knife is a very personal thing to a Hunter. I own a dozen good grade hunting knives,that someone else could prefer to use. Three of them are Buck knives.
My favorite is the Marbles fixed blade model with a 5 inch blade with a blood groove. I used it to gut out my first deer in 1952.
Frank
Frank

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2003, 08:24:29 PM »
http://www.benchmade.com/detail.asp?model=190

I don't prefer a wood handle but the 440c high chrom stainless steal in this knife is excellent and will be hard to beat for a 100 bucks. These blades are very durable and sharpen very well and hold an edge for a very long time. In my opinioin this would be a good choice.

Scott

Offline AAAJohn

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2003, 11:29:44 PM »
I have a Colt skinning knife that I like to use, but it's on the heavy side when compared to my Buck Lite which is a folding lockblade belt knife. The blade is about 4 inches and u can get up into the chest cavity with both hands and clip the windpipe. See If u can get one with a gut hook on it. The gut hook really comes in handy.

Offline grizzy57

• Avid Poster
BARLOW
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2003, 01:50:52 AM »
:D

OLD BARLOW MY DAD GAVE ME!!
                       GRIZZY

Offline sport240

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2003, 06:48:59 PM »
Drop-point, with gut-hook in back....Remington make a nice simple fixed blade model with Kraton handle....it is inexpensive and very good quality...it does the job effectively...since your buddy is new to hunting, keep it simple...the gut hook is simple.....after he's skinned 20-30 deer he can move on to something fancier....

Sport240

Offline kjeff50cal

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2003, 07:20:46 PM »
My 4 1/2" Gerber Fixed Blade on my belt with my 2 1/2" Camilus folder in my pocket (for fine caping work) with a soft Washata (sic) Stone for an occational touch-up. A small hachet rounds out my usual skinning chores.
Ignorance leads us into the darkness, Knowlege leads us out.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2003, 02:21:46 PM »
For a manufactured knife I would say the Marble Arms knife made in my home state of Michigan.  But the knife I carry is one made for me by a friend.  The blade is out of a paper mill chop blade.  4" long and holds an edge w/o problem for me to gut, skin and quarter 3 deer before I sharpen it.  It is not a perfect knife in looks as it was totally hand made. But I am sure I will always reach for it 1st (while my 2 Marbles hang on my wall)

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline jhm

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2003, 03:04:13 PM »
An old puma hunters friend and a hunter pal recieved both as gifts some 35 yrs ago and have shared many a trip into the fields. :D   JIM

Offline Carl l.

• Avid Poster
  • Hunting,Fishing,Camping and Woodworking
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2003, 03:31:16 PM »
A case xx stainless 400 1968 model 5"" Blade. It has skined alot of deer and fish. My 3 children got it for me for Christmas and it has been a good one. Carl L.

Offline Robert

Gut hooks are fine but........
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2003, 04:04:57 PM »
..most knives that have a hook are bulky for most of the work.  I have a nice CRKT (Columbia River Knife & Trading) with a hook that works excellent for the stomach, and I also use it to zip down the legs for the first cut. Then for the knees I use an el cheapo with a serated edge that I got at the local gas station for 8 bucks.  But my best working knife is a Shrade Old Timer #142 OT.  They are cheap at any Wally World, they have non-slip grips, go for about 20-25 bucks, and if I could only have one knife, this would be it.  I also have a couple of really nice Bucks, they are really nice, but if your freind isnt out to impress anybody and just wants a good all-round skinner...get the Old Timer #142.
....make it count

Offline Skeezix

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2003, 07:38:42 AM »
For several years I've used a Cold Steel Master Hunter with the Carbon V blade, and I love it.  http://www.coldsteel.com/fixed-blades-master-hunter.html  

This knive really holds an edge and the blade length and grip is just about perfect for me.  You can get it for around $55 to $60 at several places online or in some stores.  You can also find them on Ebay and GunBrokers.  I've got quite a few hunting knives, and this is the one I always end up toting.
Skeezix

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Offline JACKNZ

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2003, 09:03:14 PM »
I own a heap of different knifes,but being a farmer as well as a truck driver I have always used Green river carbon steel.For a $10 knife you can,t go past em,I also have a Victornox stainless that is the same design
as the green river,I removed the handle and replaced it with a bit of Oak
from an old Jaguar dash,It now looks a million bucks but really cost $75.
The blade is surgical stainless and Will cut you if you look at it too hard.
Now last year my father in law made me a drop point hunter from tool steel,,He is a tool maker by trade and makes knifes as a hobby,for the handle he used limbs from an old Bear recurve I damaged about 10yrs ago,This knife also is scary sharp.I feel it is almost to nice to blood but I will use it anyway..Respect must be shown.. It seems there is no end of crap knifes out there now days,most of them real exspensive.A knife is still a tool for a job at hand.Its about time some knife makers rememberd
that.But i suppose there is still a sucker born every day.I use a knife every day and feel most of these Tanto and other fancy things are a waste of steel,That goes for gut hooks as well,If you know what your doing you don,t need em,I kill and butcher around 100 different animals every year an gut hooks are just a joke.If you wish to pay for something you don,t need go ahead.By the way I have a bridge I,d like to sell ya.
CHEERS JACK..
NZJACK

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2003, 05:26:40 AM »
Buck folding lockback model 112. It's one tough knife.  BTW, I'm glad I looked at the knife to see the model # since the leather case was a little dry. Boot oil does wonders.  :grin:
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Frog123

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2003, 10:26:56 AM »
I've got several of the old Imperial Frontier model knives. My favorite is the 422 model with the slight turned down blade and the powderhorn on the shield. They have some of the best steel IMHO. Unfortunately they were discontinued over twenty years ago..

Frog :D
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time....ES

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2003, 09:13:32 AM »
Recommend a Buck Vanguard with a gut hook. I have personally skinned, gutted and quartered three hogs with it and it still was sharp enough for more work. I use the knife for cleaning game only. I keep a Cold Steel 4in. Voyager lockback as a work knife so the hunter is always ready for game work. Oh yeah get a Lansky sharpening set and determine the proper angle for your knife.

Offline Brushhunter

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2003, 09:35:55 AM »
Hi Guys--

I started this thread quite awhile back in the interest of advising a buddy who's hopfully going to be skinning his first deer this year.  Thought I'd let everyone know how it ended up. He went with a Gerber Gator--3 3/4" fixed blade and he opted for no guthook.  And me, I'm still carrying a Marble's that my dad bought in the 30's I imagine:)

Thanks to all who shared their wisdom!

Brushhunter