Author Topic: better cartridge for hunting and/or defense:7.62x39 or 5.56x45[223Rem]?  (Read 1677 times)

Offline hansg/Ups

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Opinions on what is the better overall cartridge for small/medium game hunting and[personal]defense:7.62x39 or 5.56x45[223Rem.]?
SN I realize that the 7.62x51[308Win] is better than either,but that's NOT the question here.
Thanks.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: better cartridge for hunting and/or defense:7.62x39 or 5.56x45[223Rem]?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 02:53:33 PM »
7.62 is 32 cal moving a bit slower the 223 is a 22 moving fast. at close range the 7.62 is better (most rifles that shoot the round are not world class accurate) the 223 is a better choice for longer ranges due to the accuracy of the rifles. Just one mans opinion.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 06:21:18 PM »
I don't see either of them as suitable for small game hunting for eatable game. The .223 would hold an edge for varmints and predators. For self defense use it's probably a toss up. The .223 is likely to be more accurate but that really is determined more by the firearm than the round fired in it. Ammo for the 7.62x39 is cheaper if you're gonna be buying factory ammo. It's cheaper to reload for the .223.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 06:37:22 PM »
  If coyote and under I would favor the 5.56. Hunting and defense are two separate issues. Hunting is hopefully a single well placed shot. Defence is not over until the threat is eliminated. A lot would have to be considered. Are there children in the house? If so only explosive varmint bullets in the 5.56. A 12 GA with high brass #6 may be better. Are there neighbors close by? Most x39 ammo in bulk is still steal core and will easily travel through a few walls and pierce a neighbors walls if all are wood. The 5.56 will as well if using fmj. And finally is the weapon simple enough that your loved ones could operate it in your absence? Almost anyone can reliably operator a pump 12 GA safely with a few minutes of training. EBR are a bit more complicated. Between the two I would choose the 5.56 if you shoot factory ammo. But truthfully it's hard to beat the 12 GA for home defense if you have children in the house. These two are more for multiple targets such as a home invasion scenario where our average shotguns might fall short in capacity. Or perhaps defending your property in a real bad situation where the range of a shotgun would not be applicable. Next to my bed is an AK loaded with v max bullets. I don't have any of the above concerns.
Molon labe

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 03:50:09 AM »
the 223 or 556 nato is a versitile round i have experience first hand with knocking the snot out of a 250+ pound wild boar with the hornady TAP 75 gr load (this is the ammo that hornady says will stop a 200 pound man with one shot) my other half took later that day a 250 to 275 pound ram with the same load and accuracy was ridiculously small groups @100 out of our 223 1in9 twist handi rifle. The AR loves them too.. for busting up smaller game i think the only option with that caliber would be non-expanding ammo ,55 gr FMJs perhaps

The good old 762x39   mmmmm love that round ,took my first buck with it ... He never took a step and that was using the old soviet HP mil surp of the time out of a SKS
 there are a number of options (not nearly as many as with the 223/556) for ammo ... and yeah buggy hit the nail on the head ,The children ,the neighbors something one always has to consider ... I think i recall seeing glaser offering a loading for the 762 and thier are a few other good commercial companys offering loads for this caliber if you should be looking at a mini thirty or a non military 762 rifle ... i mention this not because you cant use the Corbon or glasers in a SKS or AK but because the heavy military bolt and firing pin set up have been known to slam fire lighter commercial primers... My father has had this happen on more then one occasion with his russian SKS...
  As far as defense of home , well the 762 is king ...with out a doubt can over penetrate barricade cover (i.e.cars ,small trees and walls .well you get the picture) versus the 556 ..
 And with a good quality arm i have no trouble holding 2" to 2 1/2" groups with my MAK90 (chinese made) in all fairness i used to compete in military compitition shoots with my old gun club on a regular basis .. I have heard not all AKs are made alike  :o I KNOW who would have thought !

Seriously though there are more options to weigh in regaurd to this choice for the bystander concerns.. But honestly cant say one is really better then the other with out more input from you Hansg  ..

I own both ... AR   A2  Colt    and a AK 47 and 74      .... Now if you asked me what i would stake my life on to carry into combat then i have your answer and it starts with an "A" and ends with the "K" 

Hope this helps you out a little ... I'll look for more input from you side

And PS Dont shoot anything small with the 762 that you might want to eat i.e. tree squirrels etc.  All i ever found was fur .. and it doesnt taste great but certainly is less filling ;)
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 05:57:23 AM »
7.62x39 ;D ;D ;D ;D AK's and their variants. The most reliable, the simplistic, the most efficent. JMO
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 06:15:27 AM »
7.62 X39 is the only one legal in my state , and about as good as a 30/30 . But you need a good rifle with GOOD ammo not junk. That said get a 308 and have the best of both !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !