Author Topic: New here, did a stupid thing, need advice  (Read 729 times)

Offline KeepTryin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
New here, did a stupid thing, need advice
« on: November 17, 2008, 04:03:49 PM »
Hey all. My 3-9/40 Leupold VX-1 has always been a bear to adjust for power, so LIKE AN IDIOT I did not read the owner's manual and slightly loosened the set screw on the power adjusting ring (no effect on turning resistance) later, genius me looks in the manual and of course there is a grave warning about NEVER TOUCHING THAT SCREW which of course I did... The scope seems to be fine, but I am wondering what I have damaged and what I should do, seeing as gun season starts Saturday here in Wisconsin. Am I OK if nothing mechanical is screwed up, or have I compromised the nitrogen seal, or what? Thanks in Advance...

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: New here, did a stupid thing, need advice
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 05:40:02 PM »
Yes you probably lost the seal and let in moist air. It likely will fog internally on you when you take it hunting. I suggest you find out before then if you have a cool morning prior to then. If you have another you might want to use it for hunting this season and send it back to Leupold for repair.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline KeepTryin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 05:53:37 PM »
Yes you probably lost the seal and let in moist air. It likely will fog internally on you when you take it hunting. I suggest you find out before then if you have a cool morning prior to then. If you have another you might want to use it for hunting this season and send it back to Leupold for repair.

Hey, thanks. I can't believe that screw is the nitrogen port but... I learn something new everyday! I just turned it maybe 1/2 turn out at most. Hmm. It's below 20 deg.F here now, maybe I'll set 'er out in the garage and see what happens. I just came in from the garage where it is 34 deg.F, I'll check on it in an hour when I turn in. Fingers crossed.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 06:04:46 PM »
If that's all you turned it then chances are you didn't ruin the seal. If it doesn't fog you'll know you didn't. I thought you took it out in which case the seal would have been lost. Still when season is over return it to have the power ring fixed.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline KeepTryin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 06:11:37 PM »
Thanks for the insight. It rattled me that they don't tell you why touching that screw is a no no. I know, just them telling me should be enough... story of my life... on the plus side I was messing with it after work before my wife got home so the house was at 62 deg. and the humidifier hadn't been running since morning ;D

I still don't know why that ring is so hard (although smooth) to turn. Is that a characteristic of these scopes? (It's the only variable I've ever owned). Two of my buds that have shot the gun, it's a 30.06 700 ADL, have commented on the stiffness of that adjuster.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 06:27:43 PM »
That screw connects a ring on the inside that holds lenses with the ring on the outside that always seems to turn hard. Reason it does is because the makers always put a lot of stiff grease around the inside ring. Reason they warn you not to touch is because if the screw comes out of the inside ring it will be very difficult to get it hooked up again. Since you just loosened and didn't remove it's pretty unlikely any humidity got in your scope. If you had left it for a year maybe, because it would have been "breathing" through the leak every time the barometric pressure changed. I think you dodged the bullet this time Tryin

Offline KeepTryin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 04:08:42 AM »
That screw connects a ring on the inside that holds lenses with the ring on the outside that always seems to turn hard. Reason it does is because the makers always put a lot of stiff grease around the inside ring. Reason they warn you not to touch is because if the screw comes out of the inside ring it will be very difficult to get it hooked up again. Since you just loosened and didn't remove it's pretty unlikely any humidity got in your scope. If you had left it for a year maybe, because it would have been "breathing" through the leak every time the barometric pressure changed. I think you dodged the bullet this time Tryin

*WHEW*   :-[
Thanks Man

Offline handyman06

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 02:01:11 PM »
The manual for my brand new VX-I does comment on how it will cause a nitrogen leak. Funny, I was just reading it. Of the two VX-I's I've handled the power rings were stiffer than the average scope, but nothing serious. I just chalked it up to better sealing.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 03:26:13 PM »
try loosing your rings and see if the adjustment is'nt easier my guess is that you have them too tight and it is binding the adjustment
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten