Author Topic: Handgun Recoil versus Powder Burn Rate  (Read 1068 times)

Offline rimfire

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Handgun Recoil versus Powder Burn Rate
« on: November 25, 2008, 11:31:20 AM »
I realize this may be a stupid question, but here goes anyway.

I want to load 250 WFNGC to around 1100 fps out of my 7.5" Bisley Hunter 44 Magnum.

If it shoots well at that velocity with Unique, is it worth considering a load with slower powder for any reason...including reduced recoil I have heard can come from slower powders?

I sort of this my question with respec to recoil is probably dumb, but I would welcome your input anyway.
Be honest with yourself.  Can you guarantee you would hit a paper plate at 250 yards...100 yards...50 yards?  Then you have no business replacing the plate with a live animal.

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Handgun Recoil versus Powder Burn Rate
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 12:25:38 PM »
well...there is a correlation between burn rate and acceleration rate so there is a difference in recoil between fast and slow powders.  Unique is unique, it's sort of a midrange powder for the .44 and I really doubt you would actually feel any of the tiny benefit changing to a slower burn might offer.   I sure can't tell any difference in my SW 29/6" between H-110, 2400 and Unique, not if the velocities are compariable anyway.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Bob A

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 03:49:16 PM »
Felt recoil is a function of MV, Charge Weight and Projectile Weight.
Increase any one of these variables and recoil goes up.
Using a slower powder to achieve the same velocity would normally mean increased Charge Weight, so recoil would go up.
However, the pulse or duration of the recoil could be slower. So, you might get more of a push than a jolt.
There are on line calculators available that can help predict total recoil and duration.

Bob a

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 11:36:25 PM »
Go for a powder that takes less weight to launch your projectiles.  In a 44 Rem. Mag., I've found Blue Dot loads significantly more pleasant to shoot than H110/Win. 296 loads.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 03:32:50 AM »
I like dat Blue dot but have not dumped any in a .44mag case... yet.
Seems like it really shines in my .45's.....say around 15.3gr w/ a 250gr slug for around 1,000fps...it does tend to go Boom though as compared to more of a coughing bellow that Unique provides. I like them both!

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 07:26:04 AM »
With a short barrel such as on a handgun, I doubt the acceleration rate is going to make a whole lot of difference.  You are going to have lower pressures with slower burning powders, that is about it. 

I have loaded rounds with unique/H110 to about the same speed... and their wasn't really any noticeable difference.  But... with slower burning powders, you are usually using more, which will increase the recoil a little.  And I mean very little, with a 250 grain bullet, you aren't going to notice the difference from 6 grains of powder. 

If you are getting the speed with unique, and it's accurate, why not call it good?
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Castaway

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 11:05:22 AM »
There is a mathematical difference in recoil between the difference in a low density powder such as Unique vs H110 but you are talking about maybe 15 grains difference in the loads, a relatively small amount when comparing possible bullet weights you can load in the same pistol.  In reality, not enough difference to be able to feel.  If you can sense the difference in recoil between that small amount, I suspect you're a sophisticated enough pistelero that it wouldn't make that much of a difference in your comfort level.

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 02:59:17 PM »
Rather than rely on mathematics, I suggest you actually shoot top .44 loads with H110 and BlueDot.  There is a very obvious difference in felt recoil - believe me and the others who have posted so.

But if we do the rough math for 240-grain, 1350 fps .44 Magnum loads from Hornady #6:

24.2 grains H110 = 1831 fp of recoil energy
15.0 grains BDot = 1504 fp of recoil energy

That's a calculated recoil energy reduction of 21%, certainly enough to feel.  Remember that while the charge/ejecta weight is not huge, it has to be multiplied by the square of the gas velocity, which is around 4000 fps for handguns - much higher than the bullet velocity.  This increases the effect of small charge weight differences on the total recoil energy.

Using recoil momentum gives different results, but what really matters is the felt recoil.  Experience trumps math in this case.