Author Topic: BUIS, Lasers and lights. What to get?  (Read 790 times)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
BUIS, Lasers and lights. What to get?
« on: November 18, 2008, 06:52:08 PM »
OK got the rifles in hand. Remington R15 VTR one with 18" and one with 22" barrels and a Charles Daly with carry handle and iron sights and telescoping stock.

I have an EOtech Holosight in Realtree camo mounted on the 18" R15. Looks good and feels right. I just have to learn to keep both eyes open using it as I've always closed my left eye using irons or scope.

Here is what I mounted tonight except this one is Mossy Oak and the one I got is Realtree camo.

I'd like to get some BUIS for it and perhaps a laser and some sort of bright light for night time use. What to get? Need recommendations.

For the 22" R15 I will mount a scope on it for sure for use on PDs and any other longer range shooting I might do. In fact I might mount up and sight in a pair of scopes as I have two sets of QD rings that could be used to mount up a Leupold 3x and a Mueller APV 4.5-14 both of which I have on hand. I think I'll likley wind up with an Aimpoint for this one as well and it might be the optic that stays on it for home defense use. Which Aimpoint to get I really am undecided. This is the one I'm thinking of right now.

But haven't ruled this one out either.

Both are from my other post on which sights for my AR.

I'd also like to mount laser and maybe a light on this one and for sure BUIS as well so likely will stick with the same for those on this one as on the 18" once a decision is made on those items.

So what more should the Daly wear? It has the carry handle and irons already in place and has a telescoping stock. I'm thinking laser and maybe a light for night time use? How do I go about mounting them?

Midsouth Shooter's Supply has a set of rings made for use on ARs which have picatinny rails top, left and right for mounting acessories. Is this the right route to go or is there somewhere else they should be mounted?

I took the R15 out tonight and looked to see if I could figure out where/how to mount those Remington accessory rails they offer for them. I see it has two holes drilled at 3 and 9 o'clock positions. Is that where those accesory rails go? Is that where I'd mount a laser and/or light for night use?

What's a good bright light for use on an AR?

Whatcha mean that's a lot of questions?  :o I'm still AR ignorant and have lots to learn. I did get a book on the AR by a fellow named Patrick Sweeney and looked thru it tonight but haven't started reading yet. I see it mentions many of the items I've asked about here. I also noticed for some reason he failed to mention the Charles Daly at all. Is it that new? I tend to think it is since he wrote the book and I know the R15s are too new to have been in it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: BUIS, Lasers and lights. What to get?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 05:08:55 PM »
going off the deep end on a buying spree, eh?  i am jealous.   cheesehead recently picked up a light for his ar, he likes it alot and it clips to the bayonet lug which is pretty nice.  i believe it is a sure fire, but it is probably best to ask him.   i never had a light on mine.  but i did put a glock brand light on the glock, and boy was that nice.   sure  makes a believer out of you quick once you use it in the dark.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 06:11:41 PM »
Hard to believe with all the responses I got to the other two questions that no one else has come forward with suggestions here. I bought a book on the AR15 and am in the process of going thru it now. That's where I picked up the BUIS which until I read it I had not the foggiest clue what that was.

He sure is picky on magazines. I read that chapter tonight and there were only about three brands he even discussed. He had said earlier in the book that if he didn't mention a brand it either meant they failed to meet his expectations or refused to provide samples for review.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 12:48:09 AM »
 On your rem and picatinny yes on the 45 degree spots is where they would mount. For flashlights you will eat up a bunch of batteries. The surefire type use 2 or more cr123a at about $4 a piece and burn for an hour or two. So I say rechargeable.
http://www.usapolicesupply.com/streamlight-strion-tactical-system.html
Streamlight strion  is a very good light used them since they came out for law enforcement.
For the Daly.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/49572-7.html
Mounts on top hand guard. Light and laser go at 45 degree. If you mount on scope rings will light up to much of barrel, wont be able to see what you are wanting to as well.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR031-7.html
This one clamps to the gas block, a little easier to install.
For laser.
http://www.milsurpstuff.com/proddetail.asp?prod=APRLSG
Never heard of a Daly before you got one, has to be new. mbkassnar@kbi-inc.com Here is the president's email if you have any trouble he will straighten it out. They are the only company I know with lifetime warranty and free shipping there and back. He recently let go the manager of his warranty dept of 21 years for numerous complaints of customer service. Don't know about the rifle, but the guy running the company is exceptional.
Molon labe

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 01:58:24 AM »
For your rem you don't have a whole lot of options because the barrel is .68" so you would have to go custom for a gas block. Here's a nice solution, it clamps over the existing gas block. yhm-9360k on page 9 of 11.
http://www.bushmaster.com/electronic-documents/2008Catalogv1/Sights&Scopes.pdf
You know that the post can be replaced with tritium or fiber optics. So figure out if you want a flip down or standard rear and if you want tritium's in the back sight.  You can mix and match 99% of AR sights because they are the same height. You can go standard like the daly has with 2 peeps or go a little more towards the ghost ring shotgun style sights, just what ever you prefer.
Molon labe

Offline John R.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 03:09:00 AM »
Graybeard, on your Charles daley, you can either mount a picatinney rail under the existing forearm, or replace the current forearm with a 4-rail forearm (my choice). That will let you mount your light or laser. If you get a Streamlight TLR-2, it has the light and the laser in one package (close tp $300), or the TLR-1, with the light only (that's the one I have about $100) You can also mount these lights on any pistol with a rail under the dust cover. As far as pure lasers go, you can spend as much money as you want to. I have Yankee Hill Machine BUIS on 1 of my Ar's (they flip-up) and I swap out between a Holosight and a 3x9 Burris w/Ballistic Plex reticle as I need to. The other Ar is pretty much stock, but that will change after deer season.Hope this helps. :)