Author Topic: Rangefinder Confusion  (Read 381 times)

Offline cajun

• Trade Count: (0)
Rangefinder Confusion
« on: November 20, 2008, 05:23:27 AM »
I have an older model rangefinder and I am thinking of upgrading to a new, smaller unit.  But, I am confused.  I know that if the object is 20 yards from the base of the tree and I am 20' up that the distance from me to the object will be more than 20 yards.   Why do I need to compensate for angle if I am in a tree and the range finder is pointing directly at the object?  Doesn't the laser bounce off that object and give me the distance to that object rather than from the base of the tree to the object?    ???

Educate me please?

Thanks,,,,

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Rangefinder Confusion
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 05:44:50 AM »
Think of it as a triangle with you, the game and the base of tree as the three corners. Gravity acts on your arrow for only the horizontal distance from base of tree to game not the longer distance from you to the game. In your case given it really makes no difference but if you were rifle hunting and the angle was that much or more and the distance was 300 yards or more than you would want to know the true distance that gravity works on your bullet not the straight line distance to target.

Some newer rangefinders take the arc into consideration and give you true distance most don't. The thing you need to remember is that regardless of up or down angle if there is a sharp angle the actual distance will always be less than your RF reads unless you have one that compensates.

For bow hunting unless you are much higher than 20' above your game and unless the distance stretches out to 40 or more yards it's not something to worry about. Same with firearms for the most part if inside of 300 yards and the angle is less than 30 degrees it's not anything to be concerned about.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Rangefinder Confusion
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 10:45:08 AM »
GB nailled it. If what you have works for you don`t fix it, or in this case replace it.