Author Topic: AR varmint rifle  (Read 777 times)

Offline bigchast1

• Trade Count: (0)
AR varmint rifle
« on: December 14, 2008, 10:48:22 AM »
After some consideration I have dropped one new thought for an old dream. I am going to build a purpose AR15. It will be a RRA, or a DMPS.
It will have a 24" 1-8 twist free floated barrel. Will be a flat tor receiver also.
I am looking at the best stock and optics. For a stock should I use the Module(?) target stock, adjustable for height and pull($249) or would you go with another? What would it be?
What about optics, Has anyone used or using the Super Sniper from SWFA?
Or a fixed 24, 36 power? I will use it for 600 yd, and 1K yd matches. also the occasional dirt nap for groundhogs. Thanks for your input. The show is in two weeks so I am ready to burn some ca$h!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: AR varmint rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 01:32:18 PM »
I took the lazy way out and bought a Remington R15 with 22" barrel it has a 1:9" twist I believe. Full camo to make it look like a real hunting rifle. Flat top. I got two one with an 18" and one with a 22" barrel. I have a camo EOTech on the 18" and once I locate some rings high enough I'll scope up the 22". I'm thinking about another Elite 4200 6-24 SF for it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 01:45:03 PM »
GB,

Your dont need high rings with a b square ar-15 riser.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1765&title=AR-15+FLAT+TOP+RISER

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 01:50:00 PM »
Wow at that price super high rings might be cheaper. Remington makes two different lengths of what I think are basically the same kinda riser and they are camo to match my gun even. I'm gonna call them up this coming week I think and see about getting some of those and some of the add on picatinny rails to go on the side of the fore end also.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 01:53:29 PM »
I use the b square riser on my ar, but it is black. I can use medium or low rings on my rifle.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 07:18:28 AM »
GB i bought my riser from cheaper than dirt, part #arr-601  or arr-602, they are black though it works well on my flat top reciever and a lot less than b square, made out of aircraft aluminum,check it out,i was going to have to buy high mounts but not with this 15 doller riser
1 shot 1 kill

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 08:49:45 AM »
I use the burris xtreme "tactical" rings on mine.  They're built like a tank.  As far as optics for shooting out to 1000 yards, it's mostly personal preference and how much you want to spend.  I don't see the need to spend more than $300 on scope to get out to the 600 -1000 yards you were talking about.

Offline SOILhunter

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 12:29:27 PM »
Ill be buying a Super Sniper 10X for mine. A buddy here has one and highly recommends it. If I dont like it and decide to switch I will probably goto a Bushnell Elite.

Offline SD Handgunner

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 05:03:26 PM »
GB I used the Yankee Hill Machine 1/2" Mini Risers on my Bushmaster AR. I then simply used Weaver 1" High Extension Quad Lock Scope Rings and this positions the scope at the perfect height above the comb of the stock for me.

My Bushmaster ORC came with the Yankee Hill Machine 1/2" Mini Risers, but I had also used them on a DPMS Panther Bull 20 Fluted I had and I think the pair I bought for that AR were like $33.00 shipped.

Larry

T/C Handguns, one good shot for your moment of truth !

Offline Totenkopf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 04:02:50 AM »
 As for the stock, this is the best I have found.
http://www.mountsplus.com/thestore/prods/MAG-307-BLK.html
On the scope I only have the 10X in the SS. It is on an M1A and does excellent. I think it would be a stretch for me to hit a pd past 300 though. Just not enough magnification for me. The SS is known as a budget scope, usually the least amount spent to get a quality sniper scope. If you are looking to compete read over the rules and see what the maximum allowed magnification is. Odds are Leupold will be on the field on competition day with the max allowed magnification.
 BTW you may need the 1-7" barrel if you want to compete at 1000. Odds are those gents are launching the best BC they can get their hands on with the diminutive 5.56.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 03:14:42 PM »
yes, you need 1/7 for the 80s.  I have a 3.5-10X50 on my 20" AR15. For 1000yd I would go with the IOR Valdada 3-18X42. Expensive but you will never feel the need of something else.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson