Author Topic: First deer with my shorty USH  (Read 635 times)

Offline ccoorreeyy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
First deer with my shorty USH
« on: November 24, 2008, 04:15:46 PM »
I shot a 100lb doe here in Georgia today with my shorty USH.  It was the first deer I had shot with a slug gun.  It realy suprised me that the slug did not pass through.  I had estamated the range to be 150yds but pacing it off it was only 119yds.  I hit a little high (thought it was 30yds farther) but would have thought it would have went all the way through.  I had only shot deer with rifles up to this point.  I was using Lightfield Elite 3" slugs.  The deer dropped dead in its tracks witch is good great but if it had not fell right there I don't think it would have left a good blood trail.  I'm gona do a little more range shooting and shoot one more doe before I head to Ill. next week. Maybe that 300lb monster buck i'm after will drop dead in its tracks to. ;D
This is the day that the Lord hath made!!  I will rejoice and be glad in it!!

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
Re: First deer with my shorty USH
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 11:57:26 PM »
Well done.  Congratulations.

:)

Offline markymark

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 06:57:42 AM »
I've killed many a deer with lightfield hybred 2 3/4 " slugs-no exit wounds usually,but like you said they usually drop dead in their tracks-I got the new ush from you today-really great,will let you know range results when I get the scope mounted-pm me if you get a chance-I have a bar & grill not far from pike county,maybe we can hook-up-thanks again,
mm

"

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 10:48:33 AM »
What no pics???  ::) :o ;)

I generally see conventional styled slugs stay inside deer unless shot at very close range. Generally, the newer premium saboted bullets will give you pass thru's. That a big hunk of soft lead is not going to penetrate that deep, especially at such a range.

Congrats on the deer!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline ccoorreeyy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 02:24:46 PM »
I've killed many a deer with lightfield hybred 2 3/4 " slugs-no exit wounds usually,but like you said they usually drop dead in their tracks-I got the new ush from you today-really great,will let you know range results when I get the scope mounted-pm me if you get a chance-I have a bar & grill not far from pike county,maybe we can hook-up-thanks again,
mm

"

Glad you like it!  I'll pm you and we will try to get by and say hi.
Corey
This is the day that the Lord hath made!!  I will rejoice and be glad in it!!