Author Topic: Saiga Insanity!  (Read 1432 times)

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
Saiga Insanity!
« on: November 13, 2008, 11:14:47 AM »

Dear Guys,

Well, the frenzy (or more accurately, the panic) is in full swing.

The Saiga 7.62 rifles with regular sporting stocks, that were about $250 two years ago, are being listed for opening bid as high as $750 on the auction boards.  Magazines are at $40.00.

Sorry guys, I'm not buying into it. I refuse to play.

Mannyrock

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Saiga Insanity!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 12:35:19 PM »
 No doubt I went to a gun store where two weeks ago I picked up a black gun. Today I was going to pick up some magazines for a 10-22 that were $10 then, now they are $20. AR mags $30. And the black rifles went up $200 in two weeks. Even the pistols were up $100 more this time. Looks like it's a good time to just let the craze pass by and be happy with what you have.
Molon labe

Offline Mike Britton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 01:28:29 PM »
Try to buy grips for a Python!! Last week at the Tulsa gun show, Python grips were bringing $200-250, and grips for a Colt officer's model .38 were bringing $500!! So I'm supposed to pay $500 for grips for a $400 revolver!
E- bay is about to run us out of the hobby because some idiot with too much money thinks it's cool to spend too much for something so he can brag to his friends how much he had to spend!
If there is any justice these D-heads will find themselves with guns and parts that depreciate in value like real estate has.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA
Crabby conservative old fart

Offline S.S.

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 04:39:32 PM »
about all I have bought since all this hysteria began is a couple of 500 round boxes of 22 lr.
This has been more to do with the idiots trying to ban lead bullets than who the president will be.
Besides, 500 rounds of 22lr for less than the price of 50 9mm parabellum rounds makes more sense
to me! I do however believe the hysteria has good basis. Obama wants us disarmed, no question about it..
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
I liked the idea of saiga guns as just something to kick around with and not really have to worry about especaially for less than $300 for a new rifle.  What they are getting for those right now is insane especially when the rifle doesn't have the greatest expectations on accuracy.  I remember almost buying one of the shotguns when they were still under $300.  Wish I would have now, but no way am I paying over $300 for a rifle designed to be a beater.  A local shop had a new 308 saiga for $480 and when I checked it against the internet that was actually a good deal.

I don't know about you all, but it seems to me like the gun buying craze is at least starting to slow down, but that may be due to less bargains on the shelves. 

Offline phalanx

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 11:58:46 AM »
It seems WOLF is drying up fast ,Russia isnt sure if they care for Obama or not.
I read where Bush Master is canceling all back orders until further notice . On the JANEs  web site they said that the American Public after this last buying frenzy is now the 4th most well armed force in the world in terms of small arms.
So hay guys smile for the camera we are now a small arms super power . ;D
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
It seems WOLF is drying up fast ,Russia isnt sure if they care for Obama or not.
I read where Bush Master is canceling all back orders until further notice . On the JANEs  web site they said that the American Public after this last buying frenzy is now the 4th most well armed force in the world in terms of small arms.
So hay guys smile for the camera we are now a small arms super power . ;D
And the sad part is we will have to protect the idiots that don't think they need a gun that voted for him, from him!
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 02:57:24 PM »

Well guys my feeling on it is this ... Those that are raising prices to those extremes are no better then the Assh*oles that are going to bring back the ban ...

And should be treated accordingly

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
 Default your right. I have been buying from that large shop since before the last gun ban. I will not anymore. This is oppurtunism at it's worst. Firearm companies have not raised thier prices in the last two weeks. This is gouging to try to make profit before the next ban takes place. I will just order off the internet from now on and have it sent to the lowest ffl surcharge.

Molon labe

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 10:01:12 AM »
In all fairness to the gun dealers, it's a supply & demand market.  Right now they can get more than they usually would.  If they are wise they will hang on to that extra money to help them get through the tough times coming when the sales dry up.  The prices won't be this high for forever and we're likely to see less gun dealers in the future.

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 04:22:15 AM »
In all fairness to the gun dealers, it's a supply & demand market.  Right now they can get more than they usually would.  If they are wise they will hang on to that extra money to help them get through the tough times coming when the sales dry up.  The prices won't be this high for forever and we're likely to see less gun dealers in the future.
There is no excuse for upcharging above MSRP.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 06:05:23 AM »

There is no excuse for upcharging above MSRP.
[/quote]

Why isn't there?  Just because?  Nothing is worth more than people are willing to pay for it.  If they think it's worth it and buy it, then it was worth it to them.  If people don't buy it, it's not worth it to them.  The market will decide what gets bought and what stays on the shelf, even if it's above MSRP.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 05:30:45 AM »
well if there is no excuse, explain why pre ban ar's were going for 1500+ after the ban.  and why glock mags were close to 100 a pop.

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 08:16:25 AM »
well if there is no excuse, explain why pre ban ar's were going for 1500+ after the ban.  and why glock mags were close to 100 a pop.
Just because something happens doesn't make it right. And yes, I understand that MSRP means SUGGESTED retail price, and that one doesn't have to pay it, but it still doesn't make it right.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 09:54:14 AM »

Just because something happens doesn't make it right. And yes, I understand that MSRP means SUGGESTED retail price, and that one doesn't have to pay it, but it still doesn't make it right.
[/quote]

Whatever the MSRP is basically means nothing to me.  In the midwest we may pay below MSRP, and on the coasts they may pay above the MSRP.  There's a lot of things that go into the final selling price like market value, supply & demand, cost of living in the area, and so on.  Of course it stinks for guys like everyone on this forum who have been using ammo and supplies for as long as we can remember, but every time a market goes up, sooner or later it'll get back down. 

There's a lot of speculation about steel, copper, brass, etc prices are going to start to go down soon and quickly so maybe you can keep hoping for that to lower all the prices of guns & ammo.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 04:41:09 PM »
which one of us would sell something for 20 bucks that we knew
we could get 75 bucks for? Not me brother!
I have been buying up stuff that I fully intend to make money off of later.
I ain't gonna lie about it... I have been telling folks here that this was gonna happen
for the last few years and at times was ridiculed almost for it..
I would wager that a lot of those folks do not find it quite so humerous now.
Free enterprise is still at work even though the economy sucks!
I can't blame the folks for raising the prices to try and make as much money as they
can before Obama puts them out of business..  They have families to provide for too!
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 12:54:24 AM »
The bottom line is, if the prices were too high nobody would be buying anything.

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 05:58:42 AM »
On subject to this thread , i figured i'd mention that i found a couple decently priced Saiga 762s' on Guns of america ... so if you are still wanting one Manny then that might be the place to go look ;)

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 07:22:14 AM »
How many of your AR mags are you willing to sell me at $11.50 now that the price at the gun shop is $30.00. Stand by your principles and sell them all. Hey they are only worth $11.50 ... last week. It is the free market, gas was $4.15, they killed the market for it at that price and now look where it is at. This too shall pass, as long as free market forces are allowed to work.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 05:39:17 AM »
These prices are just gonna go up with the bans that are GONNA happen only this time there will be no sunset. The rise in price of the ammo is absurd just hurts the real shooter not the ones in a buying frenzy now. Same idiots that voted for "change" or did not vote at all. The mindless masses are screwing you and me.
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 05:05:36 AM »
Too many are willing to buy into the present hysteria.  Went to a local show this morning and remembered this Saiga thread.  Two dealers had stacks of Saiga in every model offered.  All were marked around $359 and one dealer I know quite well told me in sort of confidence that $300 would get you out the door with anything you wanted from either himself or the other dealer.  AR mags were $15 to $20 price as marked with an option to dicker.  Don't buy into these guys who are taking advantage and feeding the flames of stupidity.  Just remember who they are and treat them appropiately in the future.