Author Topic: folding stock handi?  (Read 1120 times)

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
folding stock handi?
« on: November 22, 2008, 11:39:58 AM »
   I want to put a handi rifle into a small backpack.  I have one in a survivor stock which is nice with the no screwdriver needed takedown feature, but I would like to fold it up in one piece.  Is there a folding stock available? 

I have seen the CAR collapsable stock from ATI and I swear I will puke if I see one more gun dressed up in a friggin' CAR stock.  Enough is enough already.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
Re: folding stock handi?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 01:24:46 PM »
Sounds like a good idea but be sure to keep it in the legal overall limit.  I thinks its something like 26 inches or so for the whole gun.  I believe that would be measured in the folded position if it was possible to fire it folded.

Offline RonO777

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
    • Mr44Mag
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 03:55:31 PM »
Far as I know nobody makes one. Ive seen them for the TC's but for the NEF's. You could have the barrel cut to 16 inches and put a youth stock on it. Or just take the barrel off and have them side by side.       
You might try this backpack also www.eberlestock.com
Ron

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 06:20:35 PM »

You can leave the barrel and action in one piece. Cut an opening in the the stock, shorten the stock bolt to suit, and weld a wing nut
to the bolt.

This is my wilderness  canoe shotgun broken down. A Handi stock would work well. The stock is easy enough to install, alas it is not for instant use.

You can find a write up on my web site.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline jlwilliams

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 11:40:09 PM »
Nice job!  That's a good solution for a backpack gun.

I've been thinking about asking my wife to stitch up a soft case that would hold a NEF Survivor broken down.  Not that I couldn't make it myself, but NO ONE but she is about to touch her sewing machine.  The soft case could then fit into any pack.

I was looking at this again last night and I think I will try looking at stocks made for other shotguns and see if I can adapt one to fit.  If I find one that readilly adapts I will inform you on this board. 

Offline RonO777

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
    • Mr44Mag
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 02:27:40 AM »
If you look there is a thread with a bunch of hard cases that have handi's that are broken down in them.
Ron

Offline jacksrbtr46

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
  • H&R 45-70 SS Ultra Hunter, H&R 45-70 Lam Straight
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 07:16:36 AM »
Try Choate Machine & tool, they have folding shotgun stocks and make the survivor stocks, maybe they have one that fits or that you can modify to fit.  Email them and they could tell you if they have one that would fit.  Here is a link to the shotgun folding stocks yhere are 2 styles, side folding and top folding.  Hope this helps.

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page_category.cfm?queries_index=Gallery&ProductCode=26

Jack
Aim small, miss small....                                      

When life throws you a curve, you learn to swerve...

Yesterday is a memory....
Today is the reality,....
Make the most of it....