Author Topic: Deer lore, facts and bologna present your own and discuss:  (Read 799 times)

Offline john keyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Deer lore, facts and bologna present your own and discuss:
« on: December 03, 2008, 03:41:24 AM »
here's a couple for ya
a spike buck
-will be a good buck someday
-will never be a good buck, go ahead and kill it

full moon at night
-stay home
-go huntin it doesn't matter

windy as all get out
-deer are too paranoid, won't be movin, stay home
-go huntin it doesn't matter

;D

Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline Terry1

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Deer lore, facts and bologna present your own and discuss:
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 05:19:03 AM »
Spike, I think depends on the area. Weather and moon, hunt, hunt, hunt! There is always a chance. Even if you have to hunt one of your least favorite spots.

Here is one for you:

Wounded deer:
-always head toward water
-never run uphill
-always take the easiest path

I have seen deer run uphill away from water, while taking the hardest route!!!

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 06:17:45 AM »
Real windy i stay home the deer up here dont move when it is real windy.because the ground is real flat and it seem like the wind even blows harder across these flat open wheat feilds , and in the draws i hunt the weeds and trees make so much noise the deer are on edge and dont like it so they stay beded all day tell evening time when the wind lays down.and full moon i go some times and some times i dont i think on a full moon they feed all night because they can see well and not up on there feet in the morning time,and the spike he might be a good buck in a few years only time i shoot a spike is the last few days of season to put meat in the frezzer
1 shot 1 kill

Offline efremtags

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 03:12:03 PM »
SO MUCH  TO CHOOSE FROM...

Spikes that are young (1 1/2 or less) can be bigger and better as they get older. Those that are older can not. I shot a spike this year that had to be at least 3-4 years, dont think I coul expect too much out of those genes

Deer tend to run where they came from after being shot. I have seen them run uphill after being shot through heavy brush.

High wind sucks typically. I have seen deer in these conditions, but it is always brief and they are always on edge.

Full moon is hit or miss, I don;t think it is prime, but in an area with good deer population and situation it will pay off with our without.

Rain is hit or miss. A heavy rain typicaly sucks, but if you catch the start or stop of a heavy rain, it can be excellent. Light rain has no effect on deer.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 03:57:23 PM »
Here is one I came up with myself. If you go out in the morning and see a lot of cottontails sitting around it will be a good day. I don't not hunt if they aren't out, but when they are out enjoying the day the deer will be too.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 04:05:27 PM »
The lore of all Wyomingites I know is that a dry doe is prime eating.  I've been hanging around with a guy from Missouri who says that in Missouri they want wet ones. I've et plenty of both and now that I think of it I can't say the dry ones eat any worse, and it is a real pain to trim all that fat from dry does. Darn and I was just learning to tell the difference without being able to check out the fawns.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 10:04:35 PM »
1.  Deer don't take bullets well in the neck.

2.  It is a good thing deer don't carry knives...or there would be a lot of hunters with slit throats.

3.  With a high incidence of hogs FL deer will be scarce.

4.  Anchor them on the first shot.  Don't let them get to the thick stuff where tracking can be impossible.

5.  Aim small miss small.

6.  The Game Warden is never available when you see a Poacher.

7.  Not everyone you meet in the forest is your friend.

8.  Deer hunting can speed the end of relationships.

9.  But for deer hunting, I would probably have missed out on farming, equipment ownership, tractoring, implement maintenance, seed shopping, fertilizer prices, herbicide selection, storage, food plot preparation, tree stand placement, bulletin board posting, story swapping, and a heck of a lot of superb memories afield.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 01:59:20 AM »
 Even though many companies are discontinuing it, skunk scent is an awesome cover scent!!! Tink's #10 is no longer on their web-site  :(