Author Topic: Cow tax proposal on ‘methane emissions’ would threaten agriculture and push carb  (Read 833 times)

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Cow tax proposal on ‘methane emissions’ would threaten agriculture and push carbon tax

Ken Hamilton
Wyoming Farm Bureau Federation
Thursday, Nov 20, 2008

“With the economy in bad shape and the possibility of a deep recession looming, the Environmental Protection Agency is proposing to levy new taxes—on cows and pigs,” American Farm Bureau Federation Director of Regulatory Relations Rick Krause told Wyoming Farm Bureau members at their annual meeting. Krause spoke in Sheridan on Nov. 7.

“This is no laughing matter,” Krause said. “The cow tax and the pig tax are parts of a larger scheme by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to regulate greenhouse gases under the Clean Air Act.”

“Under the proposal, if a state charged the “presumptive minimum rate” from the EPA, the cow tax would be $175 per dairy cow, $87.50 per head for beef cattle and a little more than $20 per pig,” Krause explained.

(ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW)

Krause explained that the U.S. Department of Agriculture says that a producer with more than 25 dairy cows, 50 beef cattle or 200 hogs would emit more than 100 tons of carbon and be subject to the permitting requirements. “These thresholds would impact 99 percent of dairy producers, over 90 percent of beef producers and 95 percent of hog producers in the United States,” Krause stated.

According to Krause, the EPA has issued an Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in preparation to regulate automobile greenhouse gas emissions under the Clean Air Act (CAA). “The regulation of automobile emissions automatically initiates other provisions of the CAA,” Krause explained. “One of those provisions requires permits from anyone who emits more than 100 tons of a regulated pollutant per year and there are millions of sources that emit more than 100 tons of carbon.”

The Title V permits, that are essentially a cow and pig tax, are supposed to contain provisions designed to reduce or eliminate the emissions of the regulated pollutant. “Cows and pigs methane emissions come from natural and biological processes,” Krause stated.

“The economic costs to producers from the cow and pig tax would be great and could cause the cost of beef, pork and dairy prices to rise,” Krause continued. “The cow and pig tax would impose severe penalties on livestock producers in the United States without effectively reducing greenhouse gas levels in the atmosphere.”

The comment deadline for the cow and pig tax is Nov. 28. Visit www.wyfb.org to find the link for information.

In other national issues, Krause addressed endangered species issues, including the wolf.

“I remember back in 1993 we were talking about how they will continue to change the numbers of wolves required,” Krause said. “Unfortunately, our assumption was accurate and even though there are five times more packs than needed for recovery, it has come down to a federal judge in Montana.”

“They are arguing there is no genetic exchange,” He said. “Well, the whole reason in the first place they were introduced is because they could not get here on their own. How are you going to have genetic interchange?”

“So what are we going to expect from the Endangered Species Act in the next four years?” Krause asked. “While only time will tell, we can expect no amendments to the ESA as those who are opposed to common sense management will work to keep it as is.”

The Wyoming Farm Bureau Federation is the state’s largest general agriculture organization. Members work together from the grassroots to develop agricultural policy, programs and services to enhance the rural lifestyle of Wyoming.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
So then following that logic we should tax the federal government and states for all the methane gas their wildlife puts out as well right? I mean after all the state claims to own all wildlife and much of it is on federal lands. So it seems only fair to tax them for each head of wildlife that also adds the same gases to the air.

Will we also charge a fart tax to all humans? It's sad that the folks in DC have nothing better to do than come up with this BS.

I think what REALLY needs to be done is to limit congressional sessions to three months per year and cut their salary to one quarter of what it is now. Let them take care of the REAL business of government in those three months and then they'd not have so much time to waste thinking up stupid schemes and useless laws to restrict freedom.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Will we also charge a fart tax to all humans? It's sad that the folks in DC have nothing better to do than come up with this BS.
dont give them any ideas. 
I think what REALLY needs to be done is to limit congressional sessions to three months per year and cut their salary to one quarter of what it is now.
dont forget they should be limited to one term.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
So then following that logic we should tax the federal government and states for all the methane gas their wildlife puts out as well right? I mean after all the state claims to own all wildlife and much of it is on federal lands. So it seems only fair to tax them for each head of wildlife that also adds the same gases to the air.

I think what REALLY needs to be done is to limit congressional sessions to three months per year and cut their salary to one quarter of what it is now. Let them take care of the REAL business of government in those three months and then they'd not have so much time to waste thinking up stupid schemes and useless laws to restrict freedom.

I agree we need to limit there time in DC and cut thier pay and benefits.

BTW Graybeard, this is not only about BS, but CS and PS too.  :D :D :D Sorry that was just to good to pass up.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
In the words of Ron White " I'm eating the cows as fast as I can!" To help in Global warming.
Some where some time everyone needs to stand up and say no more taxes or fees.  As of now I am handing over 55% of my pay in fees and Taxes when you add everything up.  Can we retro activly ellect Steve Forbes and his flat tax rate of 12% of everything over your 35th thousand dollar?
And now we OTAXAMA getting ready to come into office.

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
science says that wet lands produce the most methane
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline wareagleguy

Would this mean I would get a tax credit for eating cows?
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Basic law of Economics:
Taxes are a cost that in elastic goods are passed onto the consumer and in inelastic goods cut profits till companies either close or the demand goes up for that good.
Elastic goods are like Gasoline and inelastic are goods like butter.  There really is not a substitute for Gas but there are multiple goods that can take the place of Butter.
Either way it will increase the cost of the good to consumers and will decrease demand for that good at the same time increase the demand for a substitute good.  So beef sales will be turned into Pork sales and less cows will be raised but twice as many pigs will be raised, 200 times more turkeys or 300 times more chickens will be raised to creat the same amount of protien that the market wants generating more methane than the Cows did.
Why are polititions not make to read "the Wealth of Nations" by adam smith and take a test on it before being sworn in?

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
I am a Southern/Southwestern type of guy, which means alot of hot & spicy food. A fart tax huh, they should hope I don't get audited, I'll make em pay!!  :D
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
the largest producers are TERMITES just spray all the termites in africa and solve the problem , but the government never misses a chance to grab more money especially if it is a hidden tax like this would be.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline jhm

MS I used to be in the cattle business, and I can tell you that a crouded elevator smell worse than a catch pen when working cattle, just something to think abt. when SUPPORTING the LEFT wing.   Jim

Offline JonnyC

• Contributor
I say to trap it and use it for energy. It is combustible. ;)
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Offline nomosendero

As many kids on school buses after ball games can readily attest.

Offline JonnyC

• Contributor

As many kids on school buses after ball games can readily attest.

Is that where the saying " FIRE IN THE HOLE. orginated?? ;D :D
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Offline crustaceous

• Contributor
  • back for a limited engagement
Wetlands and termites are the largest natural sources of methane. Manmade souces are about three times as large.
http://epa.gov/methane/sources.html

Offline nomosendero

I am glad we are making a mark!! The EPA, such a reliable & unbiased source.  ;)

Oh, & predictable too!!  ::)

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
Here is a quote from me on a similar topic in 2006...

I have family in Denmark that own and run a hog farm.  They ferment the waste and supply the farm with all of it's electricity by using methane. They even sell excess (electricity) back to the government.  The waste goes through 3-4 tanks and what comes out of the last tank is used for fertilizer. Any excess is dried and burned along with the garbage, which they use to make the hot water for the radiators and faucet use for the farm and household.  They then make cinder blocks out of the ash and sell it to the government for public works or donate it to charity.  Not much room for the enviromentalists to bitch there.
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline Questor

I get taxed to death as a point source of methane because I just happen to like overcooked french cut green beans with mustard sauce, baked beans with cheap weenies, and sauerkraut. Dang bureaucrats got it so I've got to wear an ankle bracelet transmitter and am not allowed to go outside unless the wind is blowing at least 10mph.
Safety first

Offline nomosendero

I get taxed to death as a point source of methane because I just happen to like overcooked french cut green beans with mustard sauce, baked beans with cheap weenies, and sauerkraut. Dang bureaucrats got it so I've got to wear an ankle bracelet transmitter and am not allowed to go outside unless the wind is blowing at least 10mph.

Good one !!!  ;D