Author Topic: Rubber coating for exterior of magazine?  (Read 448 times)

Offline Totenkopf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Rubber coating for exterior of magazine?
« on: December 21, 2008, 05:18:41 AM »
 This morning I went out stalk hunting with an hk91. I only have 20 round mags, so I just put 5 in for hunting. I was slipping through a very thick clear cut bedding area. Every 2 or 3 steps  briars or saplings would touch the mag and make a dull thud with the hollow cavity. So I had to wave the rifle around weaving it through the underbrush. It made it hard to scan for deer popping up to see what they could see. Thankfully I did jump a mulie and got a clean shot.
 The rifle is already painted camo. I was thinking of putting silicone caulking on the exposed part of the mag and repainting, but it stinks very bad. Are there any rubberized paints or drying rubber coatings I could apply? I thought about gluing felt or mole skin on it but it is a steel mag. It would probably hold moisture and rust it. Also it would hold scent. Maybe there is  something that can be heated like parafin that is more durable.
 Thanks
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline CannonKrazy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Rubber coating for exterior of magazine?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 09:14:33 AM »
Use an old bicycle inner tube. Cut a piece and stretch it over the mag. This will keep it from making any noise plus it makes it easy to hold onto when loading. You wont have to worry about smell and it will have a dull color to it that wont reflect or shine in the light.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 02:33:02 AM »
or wrap one in electical tape for hunting
blue lives matter

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 02:53:13 AM »
Friction tape might work for you too.

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 08:43:12 AM »
3M Underseal 8883 can be sprayed on very thin.   

Plasti-dip rubber tool coating might work also.