Author Topic: shooting ush's  (Read 501 times)

Offline jtech

• Trade Count: (0)
shooting ush's
« on: March 06, 2009, 09:01:37 AM »
 I bought a 20 ga. ush a while back, tried a lot of different ammo and found what shot the best out of it. I shimmed the foreend to float the barrel and re worked the trigger down to a 2 1/2 lb pull ( what a project, worse factory trigger ive every had the pleasure of working on), put a thumb hole stock on it and added the steel bar from the original stock. The gun shot pretty good but I stiil wasn't satisfied. Seemed i'd always get a flier or two. After much spent ammunition I decided the problem had to be differences in shooting form (amount of downward pressure on both ends affecting barrell jump).
 A freind and I went to the range one weekend with a bunch of different guns, slug and centerfire. I actualy took a couple of sub moa centerfire guns just to check my shooting form ( I know they are different than slug guns).
After the range session we were cleaning the guns and I grabbed a tape and started measuring barrells,amazingly the ush's were the only slug guns we had with barrels longer than 22 in's.
 Ordered a 22 in. youth model the next day and polished the barrel- problem solved, the gun now shoots like a rifle. No need to hold the gun down to control barrel jump. Seems that the slug is out of the shorter barrell before it starts to jump. It now shoots into the same group wether Im holding it down or just layiing it on the bag.
 Now I am satisfied. I did shoot the 24 in. barrel well and this may not bother some but this is a hunting slug gun not a bench gun. I tried using the correct shooting form as explained by Tar Hunt and others but just couldn't do it while shooting back over my left shoulder ( real world hunting situation).
 I have shot the 22 in. barrell out to 200 yds. with no significant difference in point of impact as compared to the 24 in.. Leads me to beleive all the powder is being burnt in the first 22 in's

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: shooting ush's
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 10:33:18 AM »
That's one theory, and if it works for you GOOD ENOUGH!! This is the kind of stuff that makes the world go round. Glad you found a combo that works for you.

Its SO nice and extremely confidence inspiring to have a gun that will shoot exactly where you want it to 100% of the time. I have about a half dozen guns I can say this about. More than half of those are handis!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline jtech

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: shooting ush's
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 10:22:17 AM »
Couldn't have been said better ! I just can't bring myself to take any gun afield that doesn't shoot were I want it to 100 % of the time. Making a gun shoot that well can be fun and frustrating at times. It's always fun when we finaly achieve the goal.
 Anyone else tried the youth barrell?