Author Topic: Need Help Identifying this Cannon  (Read 463 times)

Offline bobhorger

• Trade Count: (0)
Need Help Identifying this Cannon
« on: April 08, 2012, 01:34:03 PM »
 I need help identifying this cannon.

This is what I know.  I purchased the cannon recently from an elderly woman who has had it in the family for over 40 years.  Her father in law was in construction and unearthed the cannon while excavating land along the north shore of Long Island near Oyster Bay. This excavation was in preparation for constructing a high end residential development.

It is a small unmarked cannon, measuring only 18 3/8 inches long, weighing 53 pounds and having a 1 1/2 inch bore.

I have included photos of the cannon at https://sites.google.com/site/mysteriouscannon/

If you have any ideas, please contact me at bobmat@austin.rr.com or 512-284-7846.

Thank you for your help.

Bob Matthews

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Re: Need Help Identifying this Cannon
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 01:46:42 PM »
I need help identifying this cannon.

This is what I know.  I purchased the cannon recently from an elderly woman who has had it in the family for over 40 years.  Her father in law was in construction and unearthed the cannon while excavating land along the north shore of Long Island near Oyster Bay. This excavation was in preparation for constructing a high end residential development.

It is a small unmarked cannon, measuring only 18 3/8 inches long, weighing 53 pounds and having a 1 1/2 inch bore.

I have included photos of the cannon at https://sites.google.com/site/mysteriouscannon/

If you have any ideas, please contact me at bobmat@austin.rr.com or 512-284-7846.

Thank you for your help.

Bob Matthews

Bob,
I tried to help you with this gun some time back.  Here is the post.
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,252048.0.html

I also believe you posted the same question after this posting.
Now you are posting the same question again.
What is goilng on?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline bobhorger

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 02:25:15 PM »
I have received several conflicting ideas concerning the origin of this cannon since my original posting, I am hoping a new visitor to the forum has something to add.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 05:17:36 PM »
Other than the fact that the gun looks like a machined casting to me,  I would consider an identification from Cannonmn very credible.

If you can tell use what other people have told what the gun might or might be, perhaps we can confirm those observations.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 06:22:09 PM »
If someone is beating down your door saying this is a rare piece and wanting to give you piles of money for it, I think you should go for it.  The posters here have given you their best shots.  Without markings, one can't really say anything definitive about it unless you could come up with some historical record that said on such and such date, the good ship Fred jettisoned a cannon of this type in the vicinity of Oyster Bay, blah, blah, blah.

As moderator, I would prefer that you just bring the original thread back to the top with a simple post such as "Is there any new opinion on this piece?"  It confuses people to see new but more or less identical threads being started.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill