Author Topic: Marlin 1894 CB in 45 Colt with semi-wadcutters?  (Read 1370 times)

Offline AJAX

• Trade Count: (0)
Marlin 1894 CB in 45 Colt with semi-wadcutters?
« on: November 06, 2008, 04:32:36 PM »
I just bought the above rifle and it will be several days before I can pick it up.  I have the RCBS "45-255-SWC" mold that I've been using for my New Vaquero.  Will this feed ok in the Marlin or do I need to get something like the Lee "452-255-RF"? Thanx

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Marlin 1894 CB in 45 Colt with semi-wadcutters?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 02:17:03 AM »
Yes, the Marlin will feed them just fine. HOWEVER, the Marlin chamber is nearly the same diameter as the 45 Colt's rim. Using normal .452" - .454" bullets prevents the case from sealing the chamber and fills the action with powder fouling. For my solution, I had to go to a roundabout way of making ammo for mine. I only size enough of the case to hold the bullet. I made up a .457" expander plug for my second die. I use .458" bullets, either a #454424 mold I have or #458191 (I think that's the number - 290gr. 45-70 bullet), seat in one step with the seat die backed way off and taper crimp in another step. Even with those big bullets the cases still look like big 44-40s with a slight bottleneck. After all that, my 1894 is an absolute tack driver with either smokeless or black powder, and feeds super slick. I really like it, but they could have chambered it properly and saved all the hassle. It goes without saying that ammunition for this rifle is not at all compatable with 45 Colt revolvers or any other gun. 
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline AJAX

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 08:35:39 AM »
That doesn't sound good, Nobade.  I shot a friend's several years ago and don't remember a problem with locally produces factory loads he was using.  Does yours have the 24 inch barrel?  Also what brand of case and powder charge are you using?  Thanks for your feedback.

Offline Nobade

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 02:20:01 PM »
Cases are Starline or Winchester, most common smokeless load is 6.5gr. Red Dot. BP load is usually around 33 gr. FFFg. My rifle is one of the LTD ones, with a 20 inch octagon barrel. Pretty much the same as the current cowboy model. And yeah, it's kind of messy with factory ammo but shoots way better than it has any right to with my handloads.

Offline Sharps-Nut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 06:09:45 AM »
Hate to jump a post but if you folks will allow I would.  I am trying to load for a 1894 marlin cowboy comp model and thought the loads for a levers are usually reduced slightly due to lack of gas escape route the revolver offers?  My books show no data for a 45 lever but figured starting load for a ruger or modern 45 colt would be fine?  Also I have several boxes already loaded with lane bullet companies 230 grain round nose and 6.5 grain of universal.  The load works fine for the blackhawk but figure the lack of a crimping groove may cause set back issues in the leaver gun.  Could I try them by checking each round as it chambers for set back?  The bullets  were given to me so once they are gone I will cast 255 grain keiths from a mold I own.  Tell me more on the chamber situation if you will, are all cowboy marlins this way?  Thanks for any help or advice as I was preparing to load or the same gun hence post a nearly identicle question.  All help appreciated,  SN.

Offline AJAX

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 10:40:17 AM »
Haven't gotten my Marlin yet but I do have a Puma '92 in .357.  I use the same loads in it that I use in my revolvers.  If you're trying to limit your loads to a specific velocity then you would be using lighter powder charges.  If the Marlin has an oversized chamber and you're using heavier brass (than, say, Remington) you may not want to go too light or you may have blow back issues if the brass isn't expanding enough to provide a good seal.

If your 230 grain bullets are lead you should be able to screw your seater die down until it gives a bit of a crimp.  The main thing would be to have an expander that is .448 or thereabouts.  That will keep neck tension on the bullet.

Hope that helps

Offline Sharps-Nut

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 06:07:12 AM »
Thanks for the post.  I shot this gun last night with the load listed above, watching each round as it cycle in for setback, no detectable bullet setback.  I am sure lost on nobades chamber being so large.  Would this gun have been producred with an oversized chamber to impove feeding?  I would think the cases would be a tight fit in the sizing die if the chamber is that large.  Not questioning his word you see just wondering why marlin would make such a chamber.  Thinking maye I will mike up my spent rounds and see how they measure to my blackhawk spent rounds.  This is the only easy way I can varify if the chamber is way large on my cowboy.  Hope its not thats a few extra steps to make ammo and its no compatibility with the pistol would sadden me.  I do agree with nobade on your semi wad cutter question cycled a few through mine last night and they went in like glass, you could not cycle it fast eneogh to cause any glitches.  Thanks again, Ajax and nobade if you know any more data on this gun your experience with it any advice would be appreciated.   SN

Offline AJAX

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 08:28:24 AM »
Picked up the rifle, a Cowboy Limited with the 24" barrel.  I made a quick trip to the range and fired a few rounds with either 6 and 6.5 grains of Red Dot in Remington cases.  I was only on the 25 yard line as I also had a new pistol to try.

My first three round group with the RCBS slug clustered into just over .8" ctc.  I don't think that is too bad since I was shooting offhand and the rear sight appears fuzzy to me (I will probably put a Williams peep on it).  I was also using Bear Creek 250 grain RNFPs.  They didn't seem as accurate perhaps because they were harder and didn't obturate that well with a light charge or it just could have been me.

There was some blow back of smoke and soot on the cases and smoke would curl up from the action.  I miked a few cases from my Ruger Nev Vaquero which went about .480-.481.5 while the Marlins' miked around .483 or so.

I plan to try 8 to 9 grains of Universal next to see if that seals the chamber better.

And to answer my original question, feeding was perfect as was loading the magazine.

Offline AJAX

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 06:35:37 PM »
For anyone who has an interest in this, I loaded up some rounds with 9 grains of Universal and headed for the range.  Apparently they were sealing the chamber better since the only smoke coming out of the action came when I worked the lever.  Accuracy was probably ok.  I say probably because I can't distinguish the notch in the rear sight.  I've already ordered a Williams peep and scope base from Midway.  I think the peep will be fine for most shooting and a scope for getting down to serious load development.

I must say, this is a fun rifle!

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 06:15:01 AM »
I also have the Marlin Cowboys in .357, .45C and 45/70 while most levers have a chamber a 1/1000 or so larger to facilitate feeding I've never found this to be a problem.  If gas is coming back past the case this means your load is light, make it heavier.  The Marlin will take just about any load the Ruger will.  I shoot the same loads in either, usually 200 gr. RNFP and 6 grs. Clays or Bullseye for CAS and a stiff load of 2400 for hunting.
H08

Offline Sharps-Nut

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 11:42:43 AM »
Is it just me or does 45 long colts always smoke up the cases more than a 44 mag.  At least to my eyes they always come out looking way smoked up.  Input?  Ajax, think I will try your load,  under and inch center 25 yards sound pretty good to me.  SN

Offline Nobade

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 05:35:12 AM »
Of course, most 45 Colt ammo is loaded to a lot lower pressure than most 44 mag ammo. You wouldn't expect the cases to seal as well. And when Marlin decides to cut their chambers as big as they do, it doesn't help matters. As for accuracy, I have zero complaints with my Marlin. It shoots so good it's almost scary. Most of the time I run it on 6.5gr. Red Dot. Just for grins I tried Lyman #457191 over a case full of AA5744. This is way over their recommended book load, and under no circumstances should anyone try it. But I did, and it was grouping around 3 inches at 200M, and putting out energy in excess of factory loaded 45-70 ammo. The cases did not leak gas back into the action at this level, but the recoil was quite unpleasant. I don't think I'll do this any more, but it gives you an idea what can be done with 45 colt rifles.