Author Topic: 2 Scopes & 2 Rifles, which one on what gun?  (Read 368 times)

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
2 Scopes & 2 Rifles, which one on what gun?
« on: December 05, 2008, 07:02:19 AM »
My primary hunting rifle is a Remington 7400 auto in .30-06. I bought it new in 1986 along with a Redfield Widefield, Lo-pro in 2 X 7. I haven't had a lot of opportunities to hunt over the 22 years, but all game shot with that combo were 1 shot kills. Mainly exotics and hogs.

In 1990, I bought a Browning BLR, lever action, in 7mm-08. I haven't hunted with that gun because I never had a scope for it, not having still being a little inexperienced at hunting. I have only shot that gun at the range with iron sights at 50 and 100 yards.

Last year I bought a Burris Fullfield II in 3 X 9 thinking I would mount it on the Browning and start taking that into the woods when I get an opportunity to hunt.

I stopped and thought about it for a while before having the scope mounted. Should I mount the new Burris on my 7400 and put the Redfield on the Browning, or stick to the original plan? The Redfield is the only optic I have regular experience with so I don't really know any other. I'm just wondering which makes a better match. Because of it's game taking record, I may still end up using the Remington more for hunting...but who knows. I do love to shoot that little Browning though.

Thanks for any suggestions!!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: 2 Scopes & 2 Rifles, which one on what gun?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 07:18:36 AM »
If your all sighted in with the 7400 I would leave it alone.  It is a great combination.  And if you mess with it.... Who knows what it may do.
Personally I like the Weaver line of scopes.  They are every bit as clear and crisp as the Leupolds but at 75-80% of the money of the Var X II's.
Any 3-9X40 scope will work well for you and allow you to reach out past the 200 yard mark with the 7-08.  I would look for the features you want in a hunting scope and get the most features you want for the $.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 07:50:40 AM »
Before you ask features like,
adjustable objective - Front or side  Allows you to focus the scope to a distance.  Also helps with bullet drop.  You see a deer out there and guess the range, dial the scope and adjust to see how far out the deer or what ever it is is out there, and you look at the dial and see that it is X far and you know at X far you should put the cross hairs 1" high on the critter with the scope at 9X.
What kind of cross hairs do you want;
Plex -Thin in the center but thicker where it connects to the scope body
fine, target dot ( In my opinion worth less for hunting.  hard to see small black dot on small dark brown deer at dusk in the dark woods)
Mill Dot- ranging dots for long shots.
Boone and crocette.
illuminated cross hairs.
The list can go on and on.

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 08:30:52 AM »
Woodduck, thanks for the great info and tips. I already have the other scope...the Burris Fullfield II in 3X9. It's the ballistic plex. I think you bring up a good point about the other gun/scope being set up right...don't mess with it.

Thanks!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist