Author Topic: A Handi hunting story  (Read 931 times)

Offline paul63

• Trade Count: (2)
A Handi hunting story
« on: December 03, 2008, 03:12:19 AM »
It has been awhile since I last posted here, but between work & hunting I spend more time working. This past Saturday I went to my stand behind the house in a large cut over. Unknown to me at the time, but our cat "Socks". had followed me into the thicket. About 30 minutes later I saw Socks following my trail all the way to my stand. He laid down at the base of the stand, so I went back to watching the area. In a few minutes I felt the stand vibrate & looked down to see Socks climbing up the stand. When he reached the top I placed him in my lap. For the next hour he just looked around & purred. As the sun started to set night birds started moving around in the brush, they had his full attention. Suddenly Socks looked to my left & his tail stiffened & began to twitch. I looked to the left, but didn't see anything at first. Then I saw something white in a holly thicket about 50yds away. Looking through the scope I saw that it was a big doe (120lbs+). As she step out, the 444 roared & she hit the ground DRT (dead right there). To my surprise Socks never moved. I put Socks on my shoulder & climbed down, when I got to the ground he ran over to the deer & acted like he killed it. To be honest if wasn't for Socks, that doe probably could have slipped by me & I would have never seen it. This weekend I going to take him along to see if he does it again. If he does, then I'll know I have a "deer-cat".

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
Re: A Handi hunting story
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 03:16:53 AM »
Hey.  Whatever works, I always say.  Of course you might not want to tell everyone that you hunt with a cat.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 03:22:48 AM »
Thats a wonderful story. A deer hunting cat is not an everyday occurance thats for sure, Kind of HANDI don't cha think. Good jobon the deer, you to Socks. 8)

BTW he probably made a good lap warmer while you we're sitting there. ;)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 03:43:01 AM »
I know in our game laws it says we can't hunt deer with the aid of dogs, but it doesn't say anything about using cats.  You may be on to something. 
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 04:14:02 AM »
Maybe you can train Socks to go on point ;D
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline aldar

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 04:19:27 AM »
mbybe you can teach her to fetch next

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 05:15:17 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

That is too kewl.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 05:34:38 AM »
Kewl!!! Congrats to you and Socks!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline paul63

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 06:12:54 AM »
Thanks guys.

I told my wife that when we fry up some backstrap Sock's has to get some because he was part of the kill.

On the Handi side of the story, I was using Hornady leverevolution 265gr. It went in the rt shoulder & exited the lt shoulder. When it was skinned out I found that the bullet passed between the spine & the heart. The kinetic energy on impact shattered both the spine & heart. DRT

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 01:15:12 PM »
That's great! I bow hunt close to the house, and my old german Shepard has a special bark that he has when he hears deer...he always lets me know they are coming before I hear them!!!
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 03:00:53 PM »
bravo for socks...what a great story

Offline sooter

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 03:45:26 PM »
Paul63,

thank you for sharing the story with us and congratulations on your succesful hunt - thanks to socks ;D.

Offline silver surfer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 04:51:12 PM »
Hey!  That is just cool!  Take care of that critter, sounds like you may have actually found a use for a house cat! ;D
"Blamin a gun for shootin people is like blamin your pencil for misspellin a word!"
  Larry the Cable Guy

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 10:45:14 PM »
 You my good sir are a brave man for leaving the cat in the story ;D.

Good job on the hunt. I have umm the wife has a couple cats, maybe I can get one to go with me :)

Lonny

Offline fortress49

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 02:29:12 AM »
Well, since you admitted to bringing a cat on your hunt, I will have to come clean and confess that I brought my gerbel with me on my last Alaskan brown bear hunt.  I was going to bring my gold fish too, but I was afraid he would freeze solid in the bowl.  Anyway, Ya'll just won't believe how a gerbel can aide a hunter on a bear hunt... ;D just kiddin'  ;D

Great story!  It is always fun to read the unusual story.

Matt

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 01:05:38 PM »
I met a guy a couple of years ago that took has little lap dog into his tree stand with him looking for Moose.  The little dog would alert when a Moose came to the edge of the meadow.  it would also alert when one was bedded in the willows and started moving around.  The guy was hard of hearing and could not see well.  The little dog was his ears and eyes.  It alerted him to a lot of animals he would not have seen if not for the little dog.  What Game Officer is going to call a Pomeranian, Pekanise, or tea cup Poodle a hunting dog.

Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 04:26:23 PM »
I met a guy a couple of years ago that took has little lap dog into his tree stand with him looking for Moose.  The little dog would alert when a Moose came to the edge of the meadow.  it would also alert when one was bedded in the willows and started moving around.  The guy was hard of hearing and could not see well.  The little dog was his ears and eyes.  It alerted him to a lot of animals he would not have seen if not for the little dog.  What Game Officer is going to call a Pomeranian, Pekanise, or tea cup Poodle a hunting dog.

I live on a small farm and my wife has a little black Pomeranian that I named "Bullet" and he is our farm dog.  Bullet like to think he chases deer, but the funny thing is, they don't run from him.  They just sit there and stare at this little 8 lb fur ball and he really gets agitated and ticked off, I find it good entertainment.  Maybe I can teach him a few skills and take him up a tree with me.
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline paul63

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 01:15:48 AM »
Yesterday afternoon when I got home from work my wife had another "deer-cat" story. During the day she walks around our property looking & puts corn in the feeders. Socks always follows her around when she does this. Yesterday he ran off ahead of her towards the creek. When he didn't come back when she called, she went to look for him. He had crossed the creek on the beaver dam & was stiffing around on a fresh scrape.

We can't figure out how or why he has developed this interest in deer. My theory is that my wife & I both hunt & we're always out on out land scouting around & he follows us. Maybe he has figured out that the deer he smells & sees is something that we are interested in. I don't understand it, but he seem to enjoy it as much as we do. I'm going to take him with me this weekend & hopefully Monday I'll have another "deer-cat" story to share.

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 05:15:03 PM »
Great job on the deer. Maybe I will change my opinion of cats :-)
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"