Author Topic: Eye relief?  (Read 789 times)

Offline doninva

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
Eye relief?
« on: August 14, 2003, 05:16:57 PM »
Can anyone tell me the eye relief on the Bushnell 3200 3x9x40 and the Burris full field II 3x9x40.I think this will be the deciding factor in my choice of these scopes even though the Burris comes with a spotting scope.(I really don't need the rain parka that comes with the 3200)Thanks, Don

Offline TheOpticZone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Eye relief?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 01:11:55 AM »
Don,

The eye reliefs are the following;

Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40     3.3"
Burris FF II 3-9x40                3.1"-3.8"

Hope this helps out.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline doninva

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
Eye relief?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2003, 04:07:27 AM »
I think thats going to seal it. I don't like scopes with short eye releif. I used to use Leupold just for that reason but after a 6x36 that was 8 years old went south and cost me 3 deer, I can't bring myself to buy them anymore :(   Don

Offline Dave in WV

Eye relief?
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2003, 04:44:04 AM »
Don, you could check with Bushnell and find out how they measure for eye relief. It may be a "true" measurerment as far as clearance is concerned. If they measure to the rear of the scope and not to the lens, their stat of 3.3" may be equal to another company claiming 3.5" and measuring to the lens.  Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Zachary

Eye relief?
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2003, 04:48:35 AM »
Interesting you say that Dave.  I have an Elite 4200 4x-16x-50mm (that I bought from Jon at the opticzone) and it has 3.6" of eye relief.  Well, I have it mounted on a 7mm ULTRA MAG which kicks like a COBRA.  I thought that the scope would strike me.  Well guess what?  It never did!  Not even close!

So, yea, I think that Bushnells have higher eye relief than what everyone thinks.

Zachary

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Eye relief?
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2003, 07:41:45 AM »
Unless you are a serious stock crawler or have a stock way to short for you or just plain mount the scope all wrong and way too far back then 3" of eye relief should be entirely adequate for anything up thru the .300 magnums using bullets of 180 grains and under.

That is not to say you can't mess up and get hit using a .243 Win. but 3" of eye relief should be enough almost always.

Not all companies measure eye relief the same way or from the same point. Some have constant eye relief on variables and some don't. In all cases if it isn't constant it will be less as power increases. So if you are thinking of using powers from the half way point of that variable's range up the Bushnell might actually have more.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dave in WV

Eye relief?
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2003, 05:54:23 PM »
Zachary, it would be interesting to find out where the different companies measure from. GB, My son would tend to argue the point on the 3". Shooting on level ground I'd agree but a steep uphill shot can change things fast without stock crawling IMHO. He got the deer AND a bloody nose.  :eek:  Not that you could get a steep uphill shot here in West Virginia.  :)  Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Greybeard

• Administrator
  • A Real Regular
    • Graybeard Outdoors
Eye relief?
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2003, 06:21:53 PM »
Yup shooting angle can make a difference for sure. I shoot down mostly from treestands.  :eek:

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises