Author Topic: Lyman/Ideal 429 421 mold  (Read 1617 times)

Offline docmagnum357

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Lyman/Ideal 429 421 mold
« on: December 04, 2008, 06:16:40 PM »
I just got a n Ideal 429 421 mold, single cavity the other day.It casts bullets that are just a very, very little over the throat size of my pre model 29 44 mag.  I hope this will stop the leading I have been getting from .430 bullets, as my throats are an unknown diameter over .430.  The bore was a little rough, but I bought everything I need to lap the barrel, and get rid of the roughness.  I think I will try ELmer's hot 44 special load,as 1200 feet per second is about the max I can shoot well in a combat situation with a 250 grain bullet, and see what happens. I pray this will be the one gun, one bullet, one load I need for deer, self defense, target, everything. I just bought a Lee pro 1000 loader, so I hope I can set it up and just run with it, from now on.  I hope to find a similar non gc heavy bullet for mmy 357.  Any ideas?

Offline docmagnum357

• Avid Poster
Re: Lyman/Ideal 429 421 mold
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 02:45:26 PM »
Also I was a liitle rushed the other day.  I wonder what kind of accuracy I can expect as a reasonable goal from this bullet with 2400, 4227, or some other powder.  I really want one gun, load, etc.  Isd it reasonable to expect no leading, with a properly sized bullet and 2400, or some other slower powder at 1200 feet persecond, and a fairly smooth bore?

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 05:32:38 PM »
Your Lyman 429421 is the bullet designed by Elmer Keith for his use in the .44 Special and then the .44 magnum after it came along. His bullet for the .357 Magnum is Lyman 358429.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline docmagnum357

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 01:25:04 PM »
I shot my first loads with this bullet this morning.  load was 9.3 grains of unique, which has always leaded in this gun before, and a standard primer.  out of thirty odd rounds, I called four fliers(it was cold here today.).  When i checked my target, there were five holes in the target.  My four fliers, and a big, top to bottom string about three inches tall and about 1.5" wide.  Off hand, twenty five yards.  I am in love.  I love the gun, I love the load, and I love the bullet.  I believe I can get a lot more speed, probaly two hundred more feet per second and still have good control If I switch to a slower burning powder.  Leading was wiped out with a patch.  I use home made lube, by the way.  1/2 candle wax, 1/2 axle grease, with a couple of tablespoons of STP in a two pound run.  Works very well for me.

My old gun has a problem with the red insert on the front ramp.  It has been rounded off, and it is not sharp and easy to see anymore.  These can be replaced, right?  wher would i find them?  It makes it hard to sight the gun because the sight picture changes.  Also, the white outline is just about gone from the rear blade.  I think i can paint that back...

One of the holes in the cylinder is sticky, too.  I can see some kind of imperfection in there.  The cases will not come out of the one cylinder at all with the extractor star.  I have to push them out with a dowel rod and several gentle bumps with a hammer.  they come out the first i/2 inch fine...All the others fall out with the above load.  Wonder what the problem is?

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »
It's nice when you get a bullet to fit your revolver and see how it is supposed to work, eh?

As for the chambers, I use sandpaper on a split dowel to polish revolver chambers, driven with a hand held drill. . Usually it doesn't take much and the cases just fall out after being fired. Do the star too at the same time in case there is a burr there.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline docmagnum357

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 10:54:20 AM »
I have polished the chamber a little bit, but was afraid to get too agressive.  Good Idea about the star, too.And it is fantastic to have a bullet that "fits".  i have a Lee 310 grain flat point that fits my 629-4 classic very well, with the same results; one hole a fifty feet off hand, or one hole at twenty five yards from a rest.  Good enough for any hunting I will ever do.